Viking QB Options 2018: Tracker

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Viking QB Options 2018: Tracker

Post by FullWood »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:59 am The possibility of Darnold struggling is the reason they let Bridgewater go. That locker room would be a disaster right now if Teddy was sitting there ready to go while Darnold stunk it up. I bet even with Mccoun there is talk among the players on the Jets about why they have to waste a season of their careers while Darnold figures out how to be an NFL QB. With Teddy it would be ten times worse.

There is a reason teams pick guys like Bradford, Cassel, Taylor and Mcnabb to mentor young QBs and start before their rookies. When those guys are benched, and the rookie comes in making rookie mistakes, people are more forgiving because at least it isn't their washed up predecessor.

Imagine if Teddy played well all season for the Jets, got 25 million per year to start somewhere else in the offseason, and then Darnold struggled in his first year starting, as first year starters are want to do. That would not be good for the team, the fans, or the young QB's confidence.
I agree with this. Darnold should not have started this first few games. I think McNown should of. Mahomes mentioned how he learned a lot from Alex Smith being his backup but there is a little asterisk because Mahomes does have a lot of very good talented weapons.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

808vikingsfan wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:13 pm If the Jets started Teddy, they might be 3-0 right now. Let Darnold watch and learn, worry about peoples feelings later. Winning cures everything.
They probably are 3-0, and probably are a playoff contender, but would not a SB contender with the talent or lack thereof they have on that team. That is why they dumped Teddy, to make themselves better next year.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Let us update this.

Cousins 131/189 69.3% 1,387 yards 10 TD's 2 Int.
Keenum 87/141 61.7% 988 yards 3 TD's 6 Int.
Bradford Benched and deactivated on game day.
Bridgewater. Carrying a clipboard.

Can't believe we paid for Cousins when we could have kept one of the other guys. :(
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Raptorman wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:34 am Let us update this.

Can't believe we paid for Cousins when we could have kept one of the other guys. :(
I like how Cousins has taken the 8th best scoring offense (points per drive) and made it the 22nd.

Two of the other options were awful while Teddy is still an unknown, I will grant you that, but at least with those three their contracts wouldn't have crippled the team's ability to get better, which they clearly need to be.

Case is on pace to throw for 12 TDs and 24 interceptions this year and looked like an MVP last year in this offense. There is a reason I take that 10 TD 2 int stat line with a grain of salt, if even a bad starter/good backup can be successful here.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Raptorman wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:34 am Let us update this.

I'm conflicted about Keenum. Sometimes a player is just in the right situation for them and that might have been true for Case and the Vikings. Specifically Case seemed to be better at extending plays to make up for the offensive line's weaknesses.

The jury is still out on Bridgewater. He looked healed up enough to warrant NO giving up a 3rd rounder and he's holding the clip board behind Drew Brees ... so yeah, he'll be doing that until Brees retires. Can't imagine that'll make him a worse quarterback though.

I don't think Bradford was ever really an option.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:09 am I like how Cousins has taken the 8th best scoring offense (points per drive) and made it the 22nd.

Two of the other options were awful while Teddy is still an unknown, I will grant you that, but at least with those three their contracts wouldn't have crippled the team's ability to get better, which they clearly need to be.

Case is on pace to throw for 12 TDs and 24 interceptions this year and looked like an MVP last year in this offense. There is a reason I take that 10 TD 2 int stat line with a grain of salt, if even a bad starter/good backup can be successful here.
Wow. You had to go all the way to Points per drive to get a stat that looked bad. So tells us, what's Case's point per drive this year? Bradfords?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Raptorman wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:30 am Wow. You had to go all the way to Points per drive to get a stat that looked bad. So tells us, what's Case's point per drive this year? Bradfords?
I posted the wrong number for PPD btw, it is actually 25th in the NFL now. I know how well an offense scores is a pretty obscure stat, but to me it is an important one, because scoring points is typically how an offense helps its teams win games.

There are a number of stats that look bad. W-L, fumbles lost, points per game etc. Not all on the QB, but I would hope 28 million would get you a little more considering how well Case Keenum looked in this offense last year.

It should get better, but it is unlikely to match what we did last year on offense without our starting RB and a backup at QB.
Last edited by StumpHunter on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Cliff wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:24 am I'm conflicted about Keenum. Sometimes a player is just in the right situation for them and that might have been true for Case and the Vikings. Specifically Case seemed to be better at extending plays to make up for the offensive line's weaknesses.

The jury is still out on Bridgewater. He looked healed up enough to warrant NO giving up a 3rd rounder and he's holding the clip board behind Drew Brees ... so yeah, he'll be doing that until Brees retires. Can't imagine that'll make him a worse quarterback though.

I don't think Bradford was ever really an option.
Keenum has all of the intangibles that the great ones have, and none of the actual tangibles. He is a leader, great in the pocket and super clutch. He just doesn’t see the field well or throw the ball with any amount of accuracy or velocity.

I almost fell for it last year myself, and then started noticing all the under throws, bad passes he was bailed out on by PI or great catches, and missed wide open receivers.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Cousins was the best pick by far, and wpuld hate to see what our offence would look like behind keenum this. We were 4th in the league in rushing yards and keenum had a hard time moving the ball sometimes, add in a nonexistent running game and defence and keenum might score you 14 points a game, while throwing two picks. Bridgewater? You've got to be kidding...
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Based just on a straight QB comparison, Cousins is the one performing the best but it's not quite that simple. The size of his contract throws in a lot of variables. If you take Case or Teddy, then a lot of that $84M guaranteed money can get allocated elsewhere. So then you get into really deep "what if" scenarios like maybe we wouldn't need to start Compton, Hill, etc. Maybe Aldrick Robinson isn't our 3rd WR.

FWIW, I think Cousins was the right decision and I think he's playing well. He needs to clean up his pocket presence, the amount of times he's been stripped sacked at very inopportune times is too high for my liking. But he makes throws that the others cannot and I think as the offense gels he will only improve. If he can stay healthy, I think he will be a worthy investment.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

allday1991 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:43 pm Cousins was the best pick by far, and wpuld hate to see what our offence would look like behind keenum this. We were 4th in the league in rushing yards and keenum had a hard time moving the ball sometimes, add in a nonexistent running game and defence and keenum might score you 14 points a game, while throwing two picks. Bridgewater? You've got to be kidding...
I feel like it is 2016 all over again. Previous year QB needed the run game to be good, current year QB needs a run game to have a successful offense, but is better than previous year's QB. Contradiction missed.

Cousins was the safest option, but he hasn't taken this offense to the level we were promised when the Vikings paid him the big bucks.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

This board is getting ridiculous. We get a QB who is playing miles ahead of any Vikings QB in the last 8 years and people still piss and moan.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

720pete wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:41 am This board is getting ridiculous. We get a QB who is playing miles ahead of any Vikings QB in the last 8 years and people still piss and moan.
I don't think people are #### about it so much as just talking about him compared to the other QBs we had. I don't think many would trade at this point.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

Cousins was clearly the better choice. I still don't think he should of gotten all that money thou. I think people who are complaining are just frustrated this team has a losing record.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I'm still not sold on Cousins. Yeah, he can throw a pretty ball and his stats are nice. But the Vikings are near the bottom at TOP right now (ranked #3 in 2017).Before the Vikings got Cousins, my concern was his decision making in pressure situations. Converting that important 3rd down to keep the chains moving, feel and move from pressure and not panic (or fumble). Don't throw that bad INT in the endzone. I've yet to watch the last two games but in your honest opinion, how has he done in these type of situations? I really liked the way Keenum was able to extend plays. To me that's worth more than empty stats. Maybe I need to watch the Rams game to become a fan?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014