Brian O'Neil surprises

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Brian O'Neil surprises

Post by dead_poet »

Thread breaking down some of his pass-blocking snaps. I thought he was surprisingly solid. I'm pleased by his early progress. There might be something there, guys.

https://twitter.com/NicholasJOlson/stat ... 15937?s=19
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Brian O'Neil surprises

Post by YikesVikes »

Seemed to confirm what was already known
1. He moves well
2. He lacks mass and power
3. He is not going to move his man in the run game and will be best served on pulls and tosses.

Also, he came into the game late against a tired defense. :confused:
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm glad he did well, but now teams will have tape to prepare for him where the Packers did not. Time will tell once he goes through NFL scheming and readjustment.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I mean granted it's one game but this was part of the reason I wasnt so adamant about drafting an OL in the first. There was a lot of depth this year. And then of course some fans buy into the experts analysis of O'Neill and so on and so forth. The guy showed well and he can move. Next is just getting Elflein back and bumping Compton out for Jones.

Then we have:

Reiff, Jones, Elflein, Remmers, O'Neill

with good depth subs of Hill, Isidora and Compton.

I like it to be honest
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

So do you guys think he did enough to win the starter position permanently?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

Definitely. The way O'neill picked up those stunts by GB shows that he is better than Hill.

Throw the kid into the fire, find out what he is made of.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

I would honestly be surprised if O'Neil isn't the starter moving forward. I'm sure PFF will tell me I'm wrong, but he looked to be one of the better linemen this past week. I think the OL may be workable once Pat gets back out there (hopefully this week so he can have a practice game against the Bills before playing a real game against the Rams).
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

akvikingsfan wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:01 pm I'm sure PFF will tell me I'm wrong"
^^ This is almost a sure fire sign of being correct. ^^
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:32 am I mean granted it's one game but this was part of the reason I wasnt so adamant about drafting an OL in the first. There was a lot of depth this year. And then of course some fans buy into the experts analysis of O'Neill and so on and so forth. The guy showed well and he can move. Next is just getting Elflein back and bumping Compton out for Jones.

Then we have:

Reiff, Jones, Elflein, Remmers, O'Neill

with good depth subs of Hill, Isidora and Compton.

I like it to be honest
Run blocking will still be an issue on his side. up the middle should be better and running to the left. Remmers and him are poor at it.

I would feel even better with
Reiff, Herandez, Elfein, Jones, Remmers
I also didn't miss that the Packers 2nd round corner scored this week while looking solid.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:36 pm So do you guys think he did enough to win the starter position permanently?
Nope. He moves well coming in at the end of the game, vs a guy who probably didn't know much about him while he was armed with game film about the guys tendencies. He had almost every advantage in the book. I still do not like how he deals with bull rushes. This is the NFL and defenses are going to set you up once they know you have a deficiency. Play him this week and pray Hill gets back soon.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:37 pm Run blocking will still be an issue on his side. up the middle should be better and running to the left. Remmers and him are poor at it.

I would feel even better with
Reiff, Herandez, Elfein, Jones, Remmers
I also didn't miss that the Packers 2nd round corner scored this week while looking solid.
Remmers is supposedly a better run blocker than pass protector at RT. Not sure why he'd be worse at guard.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:41 pm Nope. He moves well coming in at the end of the game, vs a guy who probably didn't know much about him while he was armed with game film about the guys tendencies. He had almost every advantage in the book. I still do not like how he deals with bull rushes. This is the NFL and defenses are going to set you up once they know you have a deficiency. Play him this week and pray Hill gets back soon.
Hill had his ankle taped but was moving around OK in the locker room. He may even be able to play this week.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

dead_poet wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pm Hill had his ankle taped but was moving around OK in the locker room. He may even be able to play this week.
Yeah that's what I heard but we're playing Buffalo. A week off might be what the doctors ordered.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

dead_poet wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:59 pm Remmers is supposedly a better run blocker than pass protector at RT. Not sure why he'd be worse at guard.
Do you think he has played better at guard than RT.
Blocking at guard typically is very different than blocking at RT
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

YikesVikes wrote:Do you think he has played better at guard than RT.
No.
Blocking at guard typically is very different than blocking at RT
Why is run blocking all that different at guard than at tackle?