Where is the Elite Defense?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Vikings CrucifiXS
Rookie

Re: Where is the Elite Defense?

Post by Vikings CrucifiXS »

808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:38 pm I'd bet the Vikings are close to the top in redzone defense.
Right now there ranked number 2.
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/o ... coring-pct
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

To me the thing that concerns me about the D is a lot of their problems are self inflicted.
3rd and 10 and they miss a tackle or someone messes up with coverage and they fail to end the drive.
Next thing you know the other team has moved 70 yards down the field and is in the red zone.
I still would like to see Edwards call a couple games instead of Zimmer.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

My concerns:

1. Way too many missed tackles -- including a number of open field complete whiffs. Unacceptable. Harrison should run daily clinics for his teammates on proper technique.

2. Too much cushion given to receivers. How many times have we seen opposing receivers WIDE open this season? Even the great Xavier Rhodes seems to be giving much bigger cushions this year than last. He wasn't within 5 yards of Davante Adams on several plays -- including his drop early in the game.

3. Lack of consistent pressure on the QB. Giving QBs WAY too much time to survey the field. Not seeing a lot of blitz packages and the four-man rush doesn't seem to be getting it done.

All of that said: two games is a small sample size and we just faced one of the top QBs in the game. If we're still mediocre after, say, Game 6, perhaps we can think about pushing the panic button.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Well, today's first half on offense and defense was sickening, with horribly stupid penalties all day long. Anthony Barr played as bad of say, forty minutes of football that is humanly possible. We didn't so much adjust as the Bills played to not lose. We looked positively putrid at home against a Bills team in total disarray that we were supposed to beat by probably three touchdowns. This is a nightmare game to go into the Rams with. 1-1-2 record looks like its on the table. Holy smokes.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I keep saying we got exposed in.philly. now maybe some people will believe it more. Zimmer's defense doesn't work. How can a team this talented give up this many points this easily? If I am spielman, I am putting Zimmer on notice.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

hell, I was saying this last year. Stats lie sometimes and create false interpretations. Even last year during every big game Teams would drive the ball up and down the field on us while the media kept saying elite defense. I don't care what stats say. I saw no elite defense against the saints and Eagles in the playoffs and I see no elite defense yet. A stat that tells the real truth is Number of Three and Outs, Number of Opponent Punts, Number of stops
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Cliff wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:35 pm I'd still argue holding Rodgers to 281 (15th in the league last week) passing yards and 1 TD through 5 quarters isn't half bad. Did we do it at the expense of our run defense? Yeah, probably, but that's the trade off to contain the best QB in the league.

They also allowed only 15 yards to him in over time and set the team up to win the game with the sack ...

I'm not concerned about the defense, personally.
He was playing with 1 leg!
Vikings CrucifiXS
Rookie

Post by Vikings CrucifiXS »

Yep, you could sure fool me Zimmer is a defensive minded coach? At this point I think anyone of my nephews could gash The Vikings D for a 100 yds and they're bloody toddlers!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Where is the elite defense? :gone:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

The blueprint is out, thanks to Philly. If you notice, the Vikes pass rush is limited, if not non-existent. Offenses are getting the ball out quick. With that, you'll also notice, Harrison is a non-factor...These teams have the Vikings all schemed up and the double-A gap look with Harrison freelancing is not working right now. Zimmer has not adjsuted, while other teams see what he's doing. It's easy to see at this point. And the LB's also create a huge deficiency...All but Kendricks sucks.
VikingsSuperBowl2018
Waterboy

Post by VikingsSuperBowl2018 »

I’m concerned about Zim to be honest. I am his biggest supporter but everyone has flaws, and he can be slow to adjust. He might be getting out-witted with his old-school mentality. I also noticed he’s lost his aggressiveness of the earlier Viking years.

All the above might be a wrong analysis though. It’s very possible his scheme works and we just can’t get a good pass rush. We get a good rush and Goff could’ve looked like he did last year Vs. Us, with our DBs looking great instead of like bums tonight.

The loss of Everson May hurt us more than I thought. Having sack daddy swinging around the edge was huge.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Hes still aggressive and that and the edge pressure is what is being used against Minnesota in the form of quick passes and early reads. The QB's the Vikings have faced this season have been successful when getting rid of the ball and recognizing reads early. The few times they hold onto it, mostly with Jimmy G and Rodgers, the Vikings D was successful.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I think Zimmer is being out-schemed too. And I think it's fair to say Zimmer should be on the hot seat. Heck, when a player doesn't perform up to standards for Zimmer, he's the first to throw them under the bus - why should he be held to a different standard?

Adjust or get lost. This defense has spent way too many high draft picks and way too much money to perform so poorly for a "defensive guru" coach.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Cliff wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:35 pmI'm not concerned about the defense, personally.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

“Probably anywhere I’ve ever been, I’ve never been this poor in pass coverage,” Zimmer said. “We’re going to have to look at everything we’re doing and get back to doing things correctly.”

Zimmer said his defense has been digging holes for the team all season.

“I’ve been concerned all year long,” Zimmer said. “We have not played well defensively.”

The Vikings had Super Bowl aspirations but are now 1-2-1. The defense needs to turn things around in a hurry if they’re going to avoid a major disappointment of a season.

Read more