The Kicker...AGAIN! *Update* Vikings Just signed Bailey

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: The Kicker...AGAIN! *Update* Vikings Just signed Bailey

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:33 pm While I consider the career, for kickers I give extra weight to the last year. In the last year he was 74%. Not exactly a kicker I would move up to draft. Consider me tainted since Roberto Aguayo. I don't believe in trading up for them. There are a surplus of good ones and they change teams every season.
Aguayo was also drafted in the second round. I don’t care if he’s a 100% kicker. You don’t draft one in the second round. Taking one in the 5th isn’t nearly as bad. Idk if I would’ve traded up and I believe the 5th is still a little early but drafting Aguayo there was asinine
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:45 pm Aguayo was also drafted in the second round. I don’t care if he’s a 100% kicker. You don’t draft one in the second round. Taking one in the 5th isn’t nearly as bad. Idk if I would’ve traded up and I believe the 5th is still a little early but drafting Aguayo there was asinine
We agree. I almost spit out my beer when they took him. 2nd round. What idiots.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

It’s hardly uncommon, however. Mid-to-low-round picks routinely don’t make the 53-man roster of a given team, walking away with their signing bonuses and giving the organization regret for picking them instead of someone else.

But the Vikings have learned the hard way the danger of sticking with a kicker in the hopes that he’ll find a way to get over the yips. Blair Walsh had been a solid contributor from 2012 through 2015. He shanked a chip shot that would have sealed a playoff win over the Seahawks, and he never was the same.
Read more
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

TheCoolerOne wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:10 amWell, Auburn had 3 blocked kicks in 2017. Two against Texas A&M, and one against UGA. They had some special teams issues late in the season. Tack those three back on, or remove them from the overall attempts, and you're looking at 82-83% depending on which way you lean.
Exactly. And three of his five other misses came early in the season, followed by a game where he made two 50-plus yarders. So he finished the season very strong, and by all accounts he had a great NFL Combine without a single miss. While the old adage that you should never draft a kicker probably holds here, if you were going to draft one, Carlson seemed like a good bet. While hindsight suggests the Vikings were wrong, there was a reason many mock drafts and NFL prognosticators had him going among the top 100 players taken.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:35 pm If you're the Browns, any move you make is the wrong one. If you make the wrongiest one, it could turn out to be the right one.
Definitely the George Costanza of the NFL
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:11 pm Definitely the George Costanza of the NFL
LOL.

Chicken salad, on rye, untoasted... and a cup of tea!
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014