Preseason Week 1 Post Game Thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Preseason Week 1 Post Game Thoughts

Post by Cliff »

Going by last night it certainly seems we made the right QB choice.

I think Murray would be starting if he were on several other teams. He looked good I thought.

Diggs looked great.

Something like 60 yards allowed in the first half by the D.

More than anything I thought they came out ready to play which is nice to see. I think keeping that level up even in practice games is important.

I enjoyed the chat functions first outing. I think it's leaps and bounds better than the thread.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Preseason Week 1 Post Game Thoughts

Post by autobon7 »

I seen a lot of positives. Would have liked to see more mins played by Sloter though.....maybe next game.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

autobon7 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:36 am I seen a lot of positives. Would have liked to see more mins played by Sloter though.....maybe next game.
He played the entire 2nd half, didn't he?

Positives: OL (surprisingly) both run and pass blocking, our RBs (Roc Thomas & Boone both looked solid, Murray looked great), Cousins and Diggs showed clear chemistry already, first team D was solid as expected.

Needs improvement: Special Teams, though Carlson's 57 yard FG was awesome.

Broncos' commentators were slightly annoying.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

In the preseason tou look for fundamentals. The Vikings' fundamentals looked very good last night. I remember one bad angle by Anthony Harris but other that, the team looked good.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

I could keep track of the score, but I couldn't get the game (even though it was broadcast on the NFL Network). Direct TV had showed it was blocked, but I don't live in either Minnesota's or Denver's market (I'm in the heart of Bear territory - a few hours from Chicago) so I'm not sure why it was blacked out. I called Direct TV but all I got was some guy reading from a generic script (the same stuff I already read on their website before I called.) I gave up and followed the score on my phone. I did see a few replays of Cousins. He looked good in the highlights...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I thought that Hughes looked good ,he nearly fumbled a return ,but looked solid on Defense.I also think we found our kicker for the foreseeable future.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I feel a little sorry for Case Keenum.

Yes, he's going to make $18 million. But he's also going to get skewered by Denver fans and media.

As a matter of fact, it's starting already.
Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post wrote: Go ahead. You tell John Elway he stinks at picking quarterbacks. I’m afraid to do it.

So let’s keep this just between us: Did the Broncos make a $10 million mistake by refusing to spend what it took to sign Kirk Cousins as a free agent? Was it penny wise and pound foolish to hire Case Keenum?

Cousins is a more gifted quarterback than Keenum. Period.

If Cousins’ superiority over Keenum wasn’t immediately obvious and validated Saturday night, when Minnesota beat Denver 42-28, then why do they charge admission to these exhibition games?

It took only a single series for Cousins to lead a touchdown drive against Denver. Four passes, four completions, 150.0 quarterback rating. Easy. Peasy. Cousins demonstrated elite arm talent that can cause a helpless defender to mutter to himself in frustration on a 28-yard throw to Stefon Diggs.

Keenum looked like a journeyman. Yes, he played only six snaps. But the Broncos went nowhere. The chains never moved. One completion in four attempts. A misfire on third down to Courtland Sutton.
Poor Case.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Thomas looked pretty good, but I think Ham could possibly be the 3rd RB/FB. Its too bad Bell didn't have the best game, I could see him as TE3/FB2 and between him and Ham save a roster spot.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

This was as good a preseason game as one could hope for. RB's played well. Qb played well, defense played well. The oline played well and made me a bit hopeful. However, I did notice two flaws that I hope are quickly corrected.

1. Rieff was giving way to much ground to pass rushes. He would drop back about 4 feet and get driven back into the lap of the QB before trying to anchor. Against a premium pass rusher, that's a sack waiting to happen. Go back and watch Kurts drive. On each play, Reiff is in the backfield. Against the Von Millers of the world, we're looking at trouble.

2. Switching on stunts on the left side of the Oline needs work. Hopefully, this will get better as guys get familiar working with each other but we had lots of pressure from simple inside-out stunts.

All in all. I grade last night an A. I was only underwhelmed by Treadwell. He played almost the entire game without much to show. Was hoping to see tangible improvements.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:38 pm I feel a little sorry for Case Keenum.

Yes, he's going to make $18 million. But he's also going to get skewered by Denver fans and media.

As a matter of fact, it's starting already.

Poor Case.
He played a great defense that has had 4 years of continuity. Not sure why they are crucifying him just yet.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

Can't remember the last time our Offense scored 42 points. I understand it's just preseason but it was fun to watch. Normally with team that has a franchise QB, they only keep 2 and not waste roster spot on a clip holder. But this kid Sloter shows so much potential I can't see Zim trying to sneak him into practice squad, wouldn't work anyway.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:47 pm
Go back and watch Kurts drive.

Bruce, is that you?

:tongue:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:48 pm He played a great defense that has had 4 years of continuity. Not sure why they are crucifying him just yet.
Agreed. It's way too early to arrive at conclusions on Case's fit in Denver. But I did find the commentators for NFLN to be at the other extreme. Throughout the game they kept trying to assure the Denver viewing audience that Case was having an amazing camp and was just as good as Cousins. At one point they said, "Put Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, and Case Keenum's names in a hat and pick one; they are all equally good". :lol:

Case is neither as terrible as the writer that Kapp quoted nor as good as the commentators wanted to portray him last night. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Also: watching Case and Cousins on the same field was pretty darn cool. Super small sample of throws (8 total between them), but I like our choice.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:37 pm Agreed. It's way too early to arrive at conclusions on Case's fit in Denver. But I did find the commentators for NFLN to be at the other extreme. Throughout the game they kept trying to assure the Denver viewing audience that Case was having an amazing camp and was just as good as Cousins. At one point they said, "Put Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, and Case Keenum's names in a hat and pick one; they are all equally good". :lol:

Case is neither as terrible as the writer that Kapp quoted nor as good as the commentators wanted to portray him last night. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Also: watching Case and Cousins on the same field was pretty darn cool. Super small sample of throws (8 total between them), but I like our choice.
Yeah, I heard that quote. They basically said we should have saved the money. They are kind of (slightly but not really) correct. Case at his best is about average for Cousins. But Cousins' ceiling is much higher. So you take a chance that you can get what Case gave you and much much more.