Preseason Week 1 Post Game Thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Preseason Week 1 Post Game Thoughts

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

raddmann wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:45 am They aren't crucifying him. It was Paxton Lynch the fans booed not Case.
Check out the previously referred article by Kinszler of the Denver Post.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

Loved the game! Especially the quality of our backup RB's. I was hoping to see the Z man from the CFL get in the game.

Is there no longer a Gameday thread?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

ERIK the PURPLE wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:39 amIs there no longer a Gameday thread?
Nope, no more game day thread.

We've implemented a chat function for game day instead and then a "post game" thread. I thought it went really well this first pre-season game.

During game days the chat window will be at the top of the front page or "Board index" part of the site. For the rest of the time it's at the bottom of that page (like now).

If you'd like to read back through what people were saying you can check out the archive. The chatting about the game starts about halfway down this page; http://vikingsmessageboard.com/mchat/archive?start=300

You'll want to kind of go backwards from there. You'll start on page 7 but to read forward through time you need to then go to page 6, then page 5, then 4, etc.

Page 1 contains the most recent posts.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Didn't watch. Laquon Treadwell has 1 reception for 3 yards. Did he not play much?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

720pete wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:33 am Didn't watch. Laquon Treadwell has 1 reception for 3 yards. Did he not play much?
Vikings' Laquon Treadwell: Lackluster showing in preseason opener
Treadwell had one reception for three yards despite playing 41 snaps on offense in Saturday's preseason win at Denver.

Despite drawing praise from quarterback Kirk Counins in training camp, Treadwell didn't show much in Saturday's game and also caused an illegal formation penalty. He's competing with Kendall Wright for the No. 3 receiver role, but that job looks wide open at this point.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

StpViking wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:53 pm Normally with team that has a franchise QB, they only keep 2 and not waste roster spot on a clip holder. But this kid Sloter shows so much potential I can't see Zim trying to sneak him into practice squad, wouldn't work anyway.
You're right, which is why they might look into keeping Sloter and cutting Siemian.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The other issue is Siemian is on a 1-year deal and we don't exactly have the cap to spend on a backup. If Sloter can take that role next year that would be big. I think they're going to keep both of them, Sloter has a great arm but he's still very raw. He should have thrown a pick but the Denver LB had excellent coverage on the Denver DB to break it up.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

To be fair, Adam didn't have a catch either. Yes, Laquon played more snaps but I'm guessing Kirk has a better trust with Treadwell than the 2nd and 3rd string QBs . I've also read that Treadwell was open a few times, the td play to diggs for example. I think he's going to have a good year.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Rieux
Franchise Player

That Ridiculous Illegal Formation Call

Post by Rieux »

Treadwell didn't have a particularly good game, but that illegal formation foul he was called for in the second quarter was utter garbage.

Referee Pete Morelli declared that "number eleven covered up the tight end"—but that's very difficult to understand in light of the fact that at the snap, there was no tight end on Treadwell (#11)'s entire side of the formation.

Go ahead and watch the replay—the play happened with 2:48 to go in the second quarter. On first and 10 from their own 25 yard line, QB Trevor Siemian and the (mostly second-string) Vikings offense break the huddle and line up with one RB (Mike Boone) in the backfield, TEs tight to the formation on both sides (Blake Bell on the left, David Morgan on the right), Treadwell split wide right, and another WR (Stacy Coley) flanking Bell a step off the line of scrimmage at the left end.

As the team initially comes set, Treadwell is indeed covering up TE Morgan on the right end. But then Morgan moves! He takes a step back off the line of scrimmage, motions to Treadwell to take a step forward (which Treadwell doesn't; he's already on the line), and then Morgan goes in motion from right to left. Here's what the field looks like as Morgan proceeds:
Morgan ends up setting just before the snap behind and to the left of LT Storm Norton, creating a trips formation tight to the left end of the offensive line:
That is simply not an illegal formation. The only player Treadwell is covering up is RT Brian O'Neill, who is not a tight end (never mind his history), did not report as an eligible receiver on this play, and is not lined up in an eligible-receiver position.

The only explanation I can think of is that the official on the near side of the field noticed that Treadwell covered up Morgan when the Vikings initially lined up, ignored (?!?!!) the fact that Morgan vacated his covered-up position long before the snap, and threw the flag based on a totally false notion of what the formation was at the snap. (Check the NFL rules—Rule 7, section 5: illegal formation is based solely on the position of the offensive players "at the snap.") It was a garbage call.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Solid analysis! Looks like a bad call.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I wish it was Morelli that retired instead of Hochuli.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

raddmann wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:45 am They aren't crucifying him. It was Paxton Lynch the fans booed not Case.
Talking about the media
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:27 pm To be fair, Adam didn't have a catch either. Yes, Laquon played more snaps but I'm guessing Kirk has a better trust with Treadwell than the 2nd and 3rd string QBs . I've also read that Treadwell was open a few times, the td play to diggs for example. I think he's going to have a good year.
I hope so and think he's capable. It is what it is though. He had one catch for 3 yards on 41 snaps. The wording about it being disappointing was from the article but it was disappointing to not see him more - even if it wasn't his fault in this case.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:53 pmI went back and watched Tocho. He really didn't have a bad game and was in on key plays early in the game. I would give him a B+.
I didn't go back and watch replays, but I thought Tocho got torchoed for two touchdowns, including one really awful misplay on the wheel route. Nice pick of Chad Kelly though.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

S197 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:04 pm[Sloter] should have thrown a pick but the Denver LB had excellent coverage on the Denver DB to break it up.
In the words of the great philosopher Homer Simpson, it's funny 'cause it's true.