What Does Everyone Think About Trading for an O-Lineman?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: What Does Everyone Think About Trading for an O-Lineman?

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

You guys do realize that Clancy Barone was the O-line coach in Denver in 2015, when they won the Super Bowl, right? He sorta knows what he's doing. Also, Andrew Janocko was Tony Sparano's right-hand man for the past two years.

I think the Vikings are going to see if their young linemen continue to develop under the tutelage of these two men. Remember, we got solid O-line play last year out of no more talent than we have now. The O-line is one place where the whole can (and should) be greater than the sum of its parts. You don't need 5 Pro Bowlers. You need 5 guys with reasonable capability, solid work ethic, and the ability to work together.

Elflein is going to be ready for the season. Easton, who by all Vikings player accounts is a nasty dude, will be at left guard. Remmers will be fine. My only concern is right tackle (or right guard if Remmers plays tackle).

Also, let's remember that Kirk Cousins has just as much, if not more athleticism than Case Keenum. He's good on the move, and I guarantee you that John DeFilippo is going to use him outside the pocket, which will help neutralize any weaknesses in the O-line. Not much different than last year.

Making a trade now would almost certainly be a desperation move that would net us very little and cost us a lot.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Personally I would love to get
another tackle and wouldn't mind
giving up some depth at corner
or reciever to get someone decent.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:35 pmMaking a trade now would almost certainly be a desperation move that would net us very little and cost us a lot.
I don't think the offensive line is bad enough to make a drastic desperation type trade but I could see trading a later round draft pick for some added depth or something along those lines. I think our starters will be fine - as long as they're not injured and actually able to start.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

If our depth is as putrid as some say it is, then why trade for somebody when we can just upgrade when every team has to slim down to 52 guys?

I do not get the negativity about the OL right now. I understand the fear of injury, that makes sense, but it feels like there is a view that this group is a weakness, even if healthy. I do not get that? They were a good unit last year, at very worst above average. They put together a VERY successful 2017 campaign. Of the guys playing today, only Easton and Hill were even on the team during the OL disaster of 2016. Easton was a backup and Hill was signed late in the year from the Jacksonville Practice Squad. They hardly were contributors to that mess. (Hill came in and made that unit look better, but he replaced TJ Clemmings...Not hard to improve on rubbish.) So you really cannot reasonably say they contributed to that debacle.

IMO, if you pretty much have to look at 2017 as a baseline for the performance of the group. If that is the case, then the only way this unit gets materially better is if they add a proven veteran player or a very polished rookie. The only way they are going to get a guy in either of those molds now is if they are willing to pay dearly. The time to make this type of move was either FA or the Draft. Now they'd likely give up a lot to get a little.

The OL ship is set unless they add depth on cut day or someone takes a significant injury and then they have to fill the gap.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Honestly I think depth is okay but our starters are average at best. There's probably not a big gap in talent between a guy like Easton and Isidora or Compton. Also we lost our best lineman to retirement so this isn't the same group. Hill looked very shaky at RT last year and Remmers struggled at RG. Reiff is probably the only above average lineman we have, maybe a healthy Elflein, which he's not. And Reiff is the only guy who hasn't missed practice yet (knock on wood) everyone else had missed time. That's big for a re-shuffled line under a new system, new QB, and new coach.

I really hope Elflein is back soon so some sort of continuity can be built. There's a lot of protection calls that go on between QB and center and that stuff doesn't come together overnight. There's still time but Elf and Remmer's timetable for return is totally unknown and until they are on the field, I'm concerned.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

A lot going on with the offensive side of the ball. Rash of injuries on the OL. New QB,Cook coming back from his ACL and new line coaches.
I'm interested to see how the new line coaches have the line performing.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:05 pm Honestly I think depth is okay but our starters are average at best. There's probably not a big gap in talent between a guy like Easton and Isidora or Compton. Also we lost our best lineman to retirement so this isn't the same group. Hill looked very shaky at RT last year and Remmers struggled at RG. Reiff is probably the only above average lineman we have, maybe a healthy Elflein, which he's not. And Reiff is the only guy who hasn't missed practice yet (knock on wood) everyone else had missed time. That's big for a re-shuffled line under a new system, new QB, and new coach.

I really hope Elflein is back soon so some sort of continuity can be built. There's a lot of protection calls that go on between QB and center and that stuff doesn't come together overnight. There's still time but Elf and Remmer's timetable for return is totally unknown and until they are on the field, I'm concerned.
I'm losing sleep over the oline.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

And now Easton is getting a second opinion for neck and back injuries.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

There are uh... "rumors" that Incognito and the Vikings are interested in one another again. I sincerely hope it doesn't happen. Please...
Cliff
Site Admin

Kirk Cousins will have a makeshift line this week

Post by Cliff »

One of the most anticipated debuts in the league will be when quarterback Kirk Cousins steps under center for the Vikings this week. But it might not be the best way to gauge Cousins’ progress, since the Vikings offensive line is such a mess right now. According to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
Center Pat Elflein is still on the physically unable to perform list after offseason ankle and shoulder surgeries. Guards Mike Remmers (ankle) and Nick Easton (undisclosed) are also out, and haven’t practiced since last week.

At least tackles Riley Reiff and Rashod Hill are in place, but the middle is manned by Cornelius Edison at center, Tom Compton at left guard and Danny Isidora at right guard.

“Edson’s a fighter,’’ Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said. “He’s powerful. Compton is playing like a veteran. Isidora, I thought he was better [Monday]. Last week wasn’t his best week but we talked about some things, so I think he’ll be better.’’
Read more
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:12 am There are uh... "rumors" that Incognito and the Vikings are interested in one another again. I sincerely hope it doesn't happen. Please...
Zimmer squashed those today
Courtney Cronin
‏Verified account @CourtneyRCronin
27m27 minutes ago

Mike Zimmer asked about Richie Incognito saying the Vikings reached out to him. His response: “No interest and totally false. Tweet that.”
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

I saw that. Good.

Incognito is a major head case and is a locker room cancer to end all cancers, in spite of his major talents.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:12 pm I saw that. Good.

Incognito is a major head case and is a locker room cancer to end all cancers, in spite of his major talents.
And now he's called Zimmer is a f'ing liar and posted screenshots of him texting with Sparano. Didn't really seem to be much in the SS, more like him wanting to play for the Vikings than the other way around. What a head case.
Chris Tomasson
‏ @christomasson
1m1 minute ago

Source said Tony Sparano and Richie Incognito talked a lot and source claims Sparano wanted him with Vikings even if texts don’t show that But Sparano obviously wasn’t the GM and didn’t make those decisions so it’s very unfair to call Mike Zimmer a liar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I think it is safe to say that if the Vikings are really concerned about the offensive line, Spielman is going to make moves to shore it up before the season starts. He has to with the major investments the team made this offseason, plus, just like when they brought Favre in, the team overall is stacked and in a window where it should be able to contend for a berth in the Superbowl. This isn't the sort of rebuilding or throwaway season where it would be acceptable to develop younger guys or plod through with guys who would be potentially large liabilities along the offensive line. My guess is the lack of movement so far is more indicative of Zimmer's and Spielman's confidence that the current injuries and concerns are temporary and will resolve themselves before the games start to count, but I have no doubt that if, say, Easton's situation is more dire, he'll make a move and be as aggressive as necessary to shore things up.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Too bad Rick just doesnt draft Oline guys. The D is going to be one of the best in history, so lets keep making that stronger, and forget about the glaring weakness we have had for years, the Oline. But we got Hughes, he can move over and play G... :wallbang: