Great Article on the '98 Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Great Article on the '98 Vikings

Post by Purple Domination »

I remember every game of this year more than any other. Great article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/27/1998- ... y-anderson
Brad Johnson: I remember the game-planning meetings where the coaches would stand up and talk about who the middle linebacker was and who the SAM linebacker was on the other team, and the twists they would run. Then the wide receivers coach, his name was Hubbard Alexander, legendary coach, would get up to talk. Randy would tell him “Sit down! It doesn’t matter what they play, it doesn’t matter who they are. We’re going to blow right by them.” And so that was the scouting report. Him telling the coach to sit down.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Great Article on the '98 Vikings

Post by fiestavike »

Purple Domination wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:33 pm Brad Johnson: I remember the game-planning meetings where the coaches would stand up and talk about who the middle linebacker was and who the SAM linebacker was on the other team, and the twists they would run. Then the wide receivers coach, his name was Hubbard Alexander, legendary coach, would get up to talk. Randy would tell him “Sit down! It doesn’t matter what they play, it doesn’t matter who they are. We’re going to blow right by them.” And so that was the scouting report. Him telling the coach to sit down.
That probably explains why they don't have a ring.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:00 am That probably explains why they don't have a ring.
I don't think so. Moss caught a TD in that game and the offense put up 27 before Green went into a shell content to run the clock. We all know how that turned out.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Purple Domination wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:33 pm I remember every game of this year more than any other. Great article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/27/1998- ... y-anderson
Good read. I was 15 when that game happened and the 96 season was when I really started paying attention to football so that season was super special to me.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:08 am I don't think so. Moss caught a TD in that game and the offense put up 27 before Green went into a shell content to run the clock. We all know how that turned out.
Don't forget about the rest of his career. I wouldn't even concede your point about that game. One more play might have been the difference. And besides, its not just about Moss scoring or not scoring. If you think that attitude and approach to doesn't have a detrimental impact on an offense and team (no matter how talented) you are mistaken.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:23 pm Don't forget about the rest of his career. I wouldn't even concede your point about that game. One more play might have been the difference. And besides, its not just about Moss scoring or not scoring. If you think that attitude and approach to doesn't have a detrimental impact on an offense and team (no matter how talented) you are mistaken.
You very well may be right about his overall career but I don't think you are about the 1998 team. It obviously wasn't a problem that year.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:26 pm You very well may be right about his overall career but I don't think you are about the 1998 team. It obviously wasn't a problem that year.

That really doesn't follow. That team was incredibly talented. Yes, they were historically effective, and Moss is almost certainly the most talented WR ever, but that doesn't in any way imply they couldn't or wouldn't have been better if he had taken coaching, and not shut down team meetings, and caused the team to ignore scouting reports. One more play, one more catch, one more field goal, a scouting report on Ray Buchanon, etc, and the Vikings probably win that game.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:33 pm That really doesn't follow. That team was incredibly talented. Yes, they were historically effective, and Moss is almost certainly the most talented WR ever, but that doesn't in any way imply they couldn't or wouldn't have been better if he had taken coaching, and not shut down team meetings, and caused the team to ignore scouting reports. One more play, one more catch, one more field goal, a scouting report on Ray Buchanon, etc, and the Vikings probably win that game.
Is the argument that Moss could have been better and if he had been the team would have won? For a rookie WR in the NFL? Probably not. Whatever he was doing as a receiver in 1998 is the best *any* receiver has ever done as a rookie in the NFL. Plus, the defense gave up 30 points and he's got nothing to do with that.

What if "taking the coaching" actually hurts his game? Maybe trying to fit to the mold of a "perfect" receiver would have made him less effective - perhaps relying on his instincts and natural ability made him great? What if *with* coaching Moss is basically Cordarrelle Patterson?

Besides, even if Moss ignored the scouting report that doesn't mean his teammates did. I'd say it's unlikely that what he was influencing Carter and Reed did (or as a rookie, anybody else for that matter).
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:53 pm Is the argument that Moss could have been better and if he had been the team would have won? For a rookie WR in the NFL? Probably not. Whatever he was doing as a receiver in 1998 is the best *any* receiver has ever done as a rookie in the NFL. Plus, the defense gave up 30 points and he's got nothing to do with that.

What if "taking the coaching" actually hurts his game? Maybe trying to fit to the mold of a "perfect" receiver would have made him less effective - perhaps relying on his instincts and natural ability made him great? What if *with* coaching Moss is basically Cordarrelle Patterson?

Besides, even if Moss ignored the scouting report that doesn't mean his teammates did. I'd say it's unlikely that what he was influencing Carter and Reed did (or as a rookie, anybody else for that matter).
If you take what Brad Johnson said at face value, the meeting was shut down by Moss. There was no scouting report. Might Moss have been better? perhaps. Might his teammates have been better? almost certainly. It was a disgraceful thing to do.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:57 pm If you take what Brad Johnson said at face value, the meeting was shut down by Moss. There was no scouting report. Might Moss have been better? perhaps. Might his teammates have been better? almost certainly. It was a disgraceful thing to do.
I think it might just be out of context a bit too. This is from that same article -
Brian Billick: We almost got to the point where we stopped looking at film. You try and prepare the players and say, OK, this is what teams usually did, they’re single high or three deep or whatever. So we’d come into the game and it would be totally different. They figured they’d have to try something. So we’d just get into the game and adjust to whatever they were doing. Looking at all that film was a waste of time.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Still hurts.

I disagree with you, fiesta. Game-planning truly didn't matter to some degree. It was mentioned in the article itself...Cunningham was just chucking it up there anyway. Moss could not be guarded. Despite how Moss' career played out, he was unstoppable in '98 and I have feeling that was taken out of context. Carter had Moss under his wing...Nothing more than competitive nature there with that comment.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:22 amNothing more than competitive nature there with that comment.
That’s my take too and why I quoted it in the original post. I certainly didn’t mean to stir up controversy!