NFL Top 100 of 2017

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

NFL Top 100 of 2017

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Pretty quiet on here as of late since there isnt a whole lot going on. However, we do have quite a few players landing in the top 100.

#94- Kirk Cousins (for Washington)- Good to see our new QB on there. However, I dont agree with guys like Garoppolo and Carr being voted well ahead of him. Jimmy G is still a little unproven in my eyes and Carr didnt do a whole lot last season and was voted in at 60. :confused:

#83- Linval Joseph- Best nose tackle in the NFL IMO. Werent really any "nose tackles" ahead of him. Just a chunk of 3 techs.

#65- Stefon Diggs- Was a stud this year. Hoping we extend him. High character, high ceiling player

#55- Xavier Rhodes- #1 shutdown CB in the NFL right now. A disgrace that guys like Talib and Darius Slay were ranked higher than Rhodes. Buoye and Peterson I dont agree with either but they are more reasonable than Talib and especially Slay.

#51- Case Keenum- worked wonders this year. Glad to see him make it even though I believe Cousins is a much better overall QB

#46- Harrison Smith- Easily the best safety in the NFL IMO. But of course, what a shocker, Earl Thomas continues to overshadow Harry coming in at #42. Thomas is good dont get me wrong but year after year the numbers favor Smith.

#36- Adam Thielen- I'll be the first to eat crow on Thielen. A few years back, I went back and forth with a few guys on here regarding Thielen. Granted, nobody on here thought he would be this good but some had more confidence in him than I did. I was definitely wrong about him but I'm sure glad he's on our roster.

#19- Everson Griffen- Definitely higher than I thought he'd be but overall one of the top pass rushers in the game. Glad to see him land this high.

Overall, that would be 7 players in the top 100 (counting Cousins/Keenum as 1 since Cousins didnt play for us last year). I'm pretty sure the years AP was on it, we had him and maybe one other guy. This just shows the talent we're continuing to sign and draft and shows a lot on Spielman's end. Granted this list isnt the end-all be-all because some guys definitely should've been higher but it's definitely not a bad thing having 7 guys voted in this year
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Re: NFL Top 100 of 2017

Post by S197 »

It's nice to have such a strong nucleus. There's a couple more guys I could see having a good shot at cracking that list if they can stay healthy (Hunter and Cook for example). And that's basically the key for this year, how healthy can this team be because we've been snake bitten by the injury bug for so long now.

To that effect, emphasis is going to start to shift to how our depth works out. Safety looks pretty good with Kearse, Harris, and now maybe even Newman who got reps there at minicamp. CB also looks good. LB is a bit concerning, Wilson looked good in limited action but it seems like a big drop off after that. There's Brothers but he's suspended 4 games. DL you hope guys like Jaleel can make more of an impact (he was also getting some reps witht he 1's).

Offense, it's all about the interior. Isidora was getting 1st team reps but it looks like we may be going with Hill at RT and Remmers at RG. This cares the hell out of me honestly, it did not look good last year. But we'll see. Hard to judge OL without pads. WR corp is interesting, outside of Diggs/Thielen/Treadwell it seems pretty quiet. Not much on Wright or King that I've read. Coley has been hurt and Jones is suspended. A guy like Zylstra could be a "Mr Mankato" candidate. Or Mr. Performance Ctr or whatever it is now.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Funny CBSSports came out with a list a few days ago and there were something like two vikings in the top 100. :roll:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:54 am #36- Adam Thielen- I'll be the first to eat crow on Thielen. A few years back, I went back and forth with a few guys on here regarding Thielen. Granted, nobody on here thought he would be this good but some had more confidence in him than I did. I was definitely wrong about him but I'm sure glad he's on our roster.
I don't miss Jordy's Ghost all that much, but I do wish he were here during this one instance, just so I could rub it in.

During the second half of the 2016 season, I made the comment on this board that Adam Thielen reminded me of Jordy Nelson. About the same size, same build, runs routes in a similar way, except that Thielen actually timed out faster than Nelson. I said then that Thielen had a chance to be a Pro Bowler.

And guess what? I got skewered for it, especially from Jordy's Ghost. He gave me grief even after Thielen torched the Pukers for 202 yards at Lambeau. I took a lot of crap.

So when you say nobody on here thought he'd be this good, that's not totally accurate. In fairness, you were just making a point. 8)
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:41 pm It's nice to have such a strong nucleus. There's a couple more guys I could see having a good shot at cracking that list if they can stay healthy (Hunter and Cook for example). And that's basically the key for this year, how healthy can this team be because we've been snake bitten by the injury bug for so long now.

To that effect, emphasis is going to start to shift to how our depth works out. Safety looks pretty good with Kearse, Harris, and now maybe even Newman who got reps there at minicamp. CB also looks good. LB is a bit concerning, Wilson looked good in limited action but it seems like a big drop off after that. There's Brothers but he's suspended 4 games. DL you hope guys like Jaleel can make more of an impact (he was also getting some reps witht he 1's).

Offense, it's all about the interior. Isidora was getting 1st team reps but it looks like we may be going with Hill at RT and Remmers at RG. This cares the hell out of me honestly, it did not look good last year. But we'll see. Hard to judge OL without pads. WR corp is interesting, outside of Diggs/Thielen/Treadwell it seems pretty quiet. Not much on Wright or King that I've read. Coley has been hurt and Jones is suspended. A guy like Zylstra could be a "Mr Mankato" candidate. Or Mr. Performance Ctr or whatever it is now.
Agreed in all areas here. One guy I could see in the top 100 next year but he is always overlooked is Kendricks. Barr gets all the credit but Kendricks is the nucleus of the LBs. I mean he's had a pick 6 every year for the last two years. Leads the team in tackles. Doesnt miss tackles, solid in coverage, etc. Also, could see Sheldon Richardson on there. He's been on before.

Zim has been impressed with Jaleel which goes a long way because Zim isnt much of a rah rah guy.

Wright is a fairly consistent slot guy though. Very similar to Jarius. Yeah I havent read much about him but we never read much about Jarius either. They are like a security blanket when needed. Laquon has been earning a lot of praise lately. Especially from Flip. I always said with Treadwell, I know for a fact the guy has the "talent". It's more about the mental side of it for him. You dont make contested one handed catches like he did vs GB if you dont have the talent.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:28 pm I don't miss Jordy's Ghost all that much, but I do wish he were here during this one instance, just so I could rub it in.

During the second half of the 2016 season, I made the comment on this board that Adam Thielen reminded me of Jordy Nelson. About the same size, same build, runs routes in a similar way, except that Thielen actually timed out faster than Nelson. I said then that Thielen had a chance to be a Pro Bowler.

And guess what? I got skewered for it, especially from Jordy's Ghost. He gave me grief even after Thielen torched the Pukers for 202 yards at Lambeau. I took a lot of crap.

So when you say nobody on here thought he'd be this good, that's not totally accurate. In fairness, you were just making a point. 8)
hahaha yes! One thing I have always said about Jordy Nelson though, was that he was a product of Aaron Rodgers. My buddy isnt a GB fan but he loves Nelson. We use to have battles over it all the time. Well this year it showed. Nelson caught 5 TDs in the first 5 weeks Rodgers was healthy. From weeks 6-17 he caught.....zero. Davante Adams is the true WR in GB. Putting up solid numbers with a dud QB throwing to him. As for Thielen, he's been successful since given the opportunity. With 3 different QBs no less (Sam, Case, Teddy) and now going on his 4th with Cousins. And I dont see him slowing down. Jordy has never been successful without Aaron Rodgers. Davante Adams has. No different when guys like Amendola, Welker, Brandon Stokely, etc. Guys that were products of Brady and Manning. When they are on other teams they are average. Edelman would be the same way on another team.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:51 am Agreed in all areas here. One guy I could see in the top 100 next year but he is always overlooked is Kendricks. Barr gets all the credit but Kendricks is the nucleus of the LBs. I mean he's had a pick 6 every year for the last two years. Leads the team in tackles. Doesnt miss tackles, solid in coverage, etc. Also, could see Sheldon Richardson on there. He's been on before.

Zim has been impressed with Jaleel which goes a long way because Zim isnt much of a rah rah guy.

Wright is a fairly consistent slot guy though. Very similar to Jarius. Yeah I havent read much about him but we never read much about Jarius either. They are like a security blanket when needed. Laquon has been earning a lot of praise lately. Especially from Flip. I always said with Treadwell, I know for a fact the guy has the "talent". It's more about the mental side of it for him. You dont make contested one handed catches like he did vs GB if you dont have the talent.
Yeah Kendricks is definitely our best LB in my book and certainly gets overlooked. I was happy to see him get the first extension.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:28 pm I don't miss Jordy's Ghost all that much, but I do wish he were here during this one instance, just so I could rub it in.

I was an early supporter of Thielen although if I'm honest, I didn't think he would rise to a Pro Bowl level. The effort was always there, even on special teams. He always had great hands and you could really see his route running improve as the years ticked by. Such a great story, I hope he's another BRob where he can spend his whole career here.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:00 pm I was an early supporter of Thielen although if I'm honest, I didn't think he would rise to a Pro Bowl level. The effort was always there, even on special teams. He always had great hands and you could really see his route running improve as the years ticked by. Such a great story, I hope he's another BRob where he can spend his whole career here.
I'm pretty much the same. I liked Thielen for the same reasons I like Sherels - seems to work hard and you can count on them to do their job even if they have some physical limitations that will prevent them from being top tier. Just turns out Thielen had less physical limitations than I thought!
Cliff
Site Admin

Everson Griffen Lands at No. 19 on NFL Top 100 List

Post by Cliff »

Everson Griffen is lucky No. 7.

The Vikings defensive end on Monday night became the seventh Vikings player to be revealed on the NFL's Top 100 list, as one of Minnesota's top defensive leaders checked in at No. 19. Players' votes determine the rankings in the annual list.

Read more
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I had an awful dream last night that Diggs was traded to Cleveland because he spoke out saying he wanted to play with Jarvis Landry and win a Super Bowl for Cleveland and the Vikings organization got mad and traded him for a 4th round pick :lol: :lol: ...This is NOT a lie
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

S197 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:00 pm I was an early supporter of Thielen although if I'm honest, I didn't think he would rise to a Pro Bowl level. The effort was always there, even on special teams. He always had great hands and you could really see his route running improve as the years ticked by. Such a great story, I hope he's another BRob where he can spend his whole career here.
In all fairness, I didn't see Thielen as a Pro Bowl receiver until 2016. But the way he came on in the second half of that season, the development was obvious. He's got good size, and he's a lot faster than he's given credit for. If I recall correctly, he's about 0.04 seconds faster than Jordy Nelson in the 40, and no one accuses Nelson of being slow. The second half of 2016, it was becoming obvious that he was combining those physical attributes with a rapid growth in his craft. I was in US Bank Stadium for the game against Arizona that season, and it was obvious to me that Thielen -- not Larry Fitzgerald, at least on that day -- was the best receiver on the field. That game was an eye-opener for me. Also, his game at Lambeau that year was epic, even though the Vikes got thrashed. He was beginning to dominate, and that's what made me think he could be a Pro Bowler. Of course, dominate is exactly what he did for most of 2017.

I wonder now about how opposing defenses will play him this season. Will they double him? Tilt coverage to his side? What will that do for Stefon Diggs and Kyle Rudolph? How will John DeFilippo help Thielen find space if defenses start giving him extra attention? With Kirk Cousins at quarterback, is it possible that we still haven't seen the best of Adam Thielen? It's going to be a really interesting season.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Honestly we got are butts kicked
to the eagles. However we have
become a much more consistent team
under Zimmer. It's nice the leaque is
showing some respect.

The Rams coming in and only scoring
7 when the scored 50 or so in the
previous weeks.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:51 amKendricks is the nucleus of the LBs. I mean he's had a pick 6 every year for the last two years.
"Every year for the last two years." You mean every single one of those two years? Wow. That's a lot.

Just giving you grief. I agree with everything you said about Kendricks.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

ChicagoViking wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:55 am "Every year for the last two years." You mean every single one of those two years? Wow. That's a lot.

Just giving you grief. I agree with everything you said about Kendricks.
:lol: Glad you pointed that out because I did not notice that at all
-Chazz Palminteri