What is your minimum definition of success for the 2018-19 season?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

In order for this to be a successful season, the Vikings must...

Make it to the first round of playoffs
18%
Make it to the divisional round
15%
Make it to the NFC Championship Game
30%
Make it to the Superbowl but lose the Superbowl
9%
Make it to the Superbowl and win the Superbowl
27%

Total votes: 33

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

What is your minimum definition of success for the 2018-19 season?

Post by 720pete »

x
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: What is your minimum definition of success for the 2018-19 season?

Post by Cliff »

The minimum definition of success meaning that if they got to at least that point, everybody can keep their jobs?
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Assuming they do not get bit by the injury bug, this roster should be back in the NFCCG. As of today we are still a top 3 team in the NFC. (I'm sure the Packers will be the favorites to win the division again.)
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Cliff wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:42 pm The minimum definition of success meaning that if they got to at least that point, everybody can keep their jobs?
No, I was thinking more like, for you to look back on this season after it's over, what would it take for you to say, "this season was a success for the Vikings."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

With the roster coming back and (at least in theory) a better QB with an upgrade at 3T, playoffs minimum. If injuries hit, expectations should be tempered accordingly.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Minimum? Playoffs.

You have to take into account that everyone else in the NFC upgraded their team too. Add the fact that the Vikings have a new QB, new OC. It may take time for the offense to gel.

I'm convinced if the Vikings want a shot at the SB, they need to secure HFA. If the defense can't string 16 solid games in a row, I don't see it happening this year.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

720pete wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:45 pmNo, I was thinking more like, for you to look back on this season after it's over, what would it take for you to say, "this season was a success for the Vikings."
In that case I won't see it as a success if we don't make it to the super bowl at least. Success would mean being better than they were last year. So that would be going to the super bowl to me.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'll go with playoff berth as well. Plus a strong showing in the postseason. I don't think they need to win it all but they can't get embarrassed again either.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Honestly with a defense this good
and bringing all the talent on FA

Anything less than a championship
soon is a failure imo.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

I didn't see my option:

Winning a Super Bowl with an undefeated season and the "closest" game is won by more than 16 points!

No?

OK. This is the NFL so one can't take things for granted, but I expect playoffs this year. I think they have to secure a first round bye. Look, I want the Vikings to go to the Super Bowl, but it's hard to get there. When I was a kid it just seemed that the PPEs would :soap just "get there" and I had no appreciation for how tough that was. It's been many years since the Vikings were that good and I think this squad has a shot at it. In the end, I guess I'd expect at least a playoff win (not even making it to the NFCCG necessarly, but I certainly want that and more) with a 1st round bye (and not another "miracle win"). I'm talking the kind of win that the Eagles were able to dish out.

So in essence, NFCCG again, but without the need for an improbable play within the last 10 seconds to secure the win to get there.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

This question underscores the biggest difference in attitude I have from many Vikings fans.

To me, last year was a smashing success.

We were coming off an incredibly disappointing 8-8 season that we had started 5-0. We lost our starting quarterback and promising running back. Yet we went 13-3 and had tons of thrills along the way. The win over the Rams was one of the most satisfying I've experienced as a Vikings fan in many years, as was the first win over the Packers and the Thanksgiving win over Detroit.

We didn't end up in the destination we all had hoped for, but it was an incredible ride. To me, that was a success. I'm hoping for the same this season.

Do I long for a Super Bowl win? Sure. But I've longed for a Super Bowl win since 1969. I'm at the point where I simply refuse to let my life's happiness hinge on it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I chose "Make it to the divisional round" but I wouldn't quite phrase it that way because my minimum definition of success for the Vikings this season is a postseason win and, if they don't advance further, a good, competitive showing in a subsequent loss. In other words, if they earn a bye as they did last year, go directly to the divisional round and lose, I can't consider that a success.

I'm trying not to conflate success and satisfaction either. Last season was successful for the Vikings but ultimately, it was unsatisfying as a season because of the way it ended. Another humiliating loss in a championship game was completely unacceptable.

If they get to the Super Bowl, they have to win. Intellectually, I'd be able to call just getting there a success but after all this time, if they get there and don't win, I know I won't be able to see it as anything other than a failure, especially because they'd be making history as the team to lose the most Super Bowls and as a the first team to go 0-5.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:18 pm This question underscores the biggest difference in attitude I have from many Vikings fans.

To me, last year was a smashing success.

We were coming off an incredibly disappointing 8-8 season that we had started 5-0. We lost our starting quarterback and promising running back. Yet we went 13-3 and had tons of thrills along the way. The win over the Rams was one of the most satisfying I've experienced as a Vikings fan in many years, as was the first win over the Packers and the Thanksgiving win over Detroit.

We didn't end up in the destination we all had hoped for, but it was an incredible ride. To me, that was a success. I'm hoping for the same this season.

Do I long for a Super Bowl win? Sure. But I've longed for a Super Bowl win since 1969. I'm at the point where I simply refuse to let my life's happiness hinge on it.
This post really resonates with me. Every year 31 teams do not win the superbowl. It is important to recognize that the NFL is first and foremost entertainment. To me it is basically a 4 month carnival ride. I choose to enjoy that ride for what it has to offer each season. Last year was one of the best seasons to enjoy in the past decade. We were never out of it in any game, even the ones we lost. We won 13 games! Did the NFCCG loss suck? Sure. But we got 5 months of great football before that loss. I'll take kind of season every year.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:18 am This post really resonates with me. Every year 31 teams do not win the superbowl. It is important to recognize that the NFL is first and foremost entertainment. To me it is basically a 4 month carnival ride. I choose to enjoy that ride for what it has to offer each season. Last year was one of the best seasons to enjoy in the past decade. We were never out of it in any game, even the ones we lost. We won 13 games! Did the NFCCG loss suck? Sure. But we got 5 months of great football before that loss. I'll take kind of season every year.
It's a fair attitude but I'm in the mood for something different, like actually winning the Super Bowl. Even getting there would be exciting (but probably nerve-wracking). If I'm remembering correctly, since the Vikings last played in a Super Bowl, every team in the league except the Jets, Browns, Lions, Jaguars and Texans has played in at least one. Good company, eh? It's hard to get to the big game and even harder to win but most teams, including a few teams that weren't even in the league the last time the Vikes played in one, have at least been able to get there over the last 40 years. As dedicated fans, I don't think it's we should shrug off the Vikings failure to do so. It's pretty significant.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:25 am It's a fair attitude but I'm in the mood for something different, like actually winning the Super Bowl. Even getting there would be exciting (but probably nerve-wracking). If I'm remembering correctly, since the Vikings last played in a Super Bowl, every team in the league except the Jets, Browns, Lions, Jaguars and Texans has played in at least one. Good company, eh? It's hard to get to the big game and even harder to win but most teams, including a few teams that weren't even in the league the last time the Vikes played in one, have at least been able to get there over the last 40 years. As dedicated fans, I don't think it's we should shrug off the Vikings failure to do so. It's pretty significant.
What's amazing about that list, Jim, is that isn't that long of a timeframe... 40 years and 25 different teams. Like you said, just get to one.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018