Traveling/Game Attending Advice

Check here for Game Tickets and Tailgate happenings! Plus Travel Information for your stay during the game.

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Traveling/Game Attending Advice

Post by Cliff »

This post is intended to help those traveling to a home game. The more advice the better so please chime in with your tips to help out your fellow Vikings fans when they come in from out of town!

Lodging
”jackal” wrote:You might try staying right by the mall of America there are some big hotels and you can take the light rail from the airport to your hotel and back and forth to the game.
S197 wrote:We like the DoubleTree Suites on the corner of Lasalle and 11th. Walking distance to many restaurants and shops. Maybe a 10 minute uber to US Bank. There are several other options in this area to explore the nice thing about this place is it's a little bigger so good if going with family or buddies. If you're going alone or with one other person, there may be better options.
Ohjay wrote:Embassy Suites - Great rooms, good location and a very nice breakfast that's included in room price (which can be very reasonable)
Ohjay wrote:Loews - Probably my favourite. Just overall very classy with huge rooms(by US standards).
Ohjay wrote:Days Hotel (on University Ave) - Decent place for people on a budget. Perfect if you only need a place to sleep, not good for much else but the price makes up for it. It's a couple of stops by Light Rail to US Bank, but very easy to get there.
Needed - Specific recommendations for places. Can be hotels or AirBnBs.

Recommended Dining Options
  • Sally's Saloon and Eatery
  • Big 10 Restaurant & Bar
  • JOE SENSER'S SPORTS GRILL & BAR
  • Bullwinkle's Saloon
  • Erik the Red (bar)
  • Butcher & The Boar
  • apital Grill
  • Manny's Steakhouse
  • Surly (better when Vikings were playing at TCF due to proximity)
  • Happy Gnome Bar (St. Paul, thanks to OhJay who recommended this place!)
Ohjay wrote:Sanctuary - Upscale dining, usually with quite interesting menu options that challenge your taste buds in amazing ways.
Ohjay wrote:O'Donovan's (by Target Center) - General pub food, but I always enjoy myself here.
Ohjay wrote:8th Street Grill - I should not mention this place because it is a slightly Packers oriented bar (although it took me several years before I noticed). Good beer selection and good food. They have a lot of pub food but some of their other dishes are amazing for being in a pub (the pasta is very, very good)
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:49 pm One amazing restaurant is Fogo de Chao. It's down by Target Field. It's a Brazilian steakhouse. Everyone at the table gets a button. One side red, one side green. When you want to be served, flip it to green and servers flock to you with every meat you could ever imagine and slice it right there in front of you. They are coming so fast you have to turn your button back to red so they will stop. I believe it was $51 per person all you can eat. Amazing salad bar (and more) as well. Cant beat it for the price. Food is unreal
Needed - More options

Travel Tips
”Jackal” wrote:You don't need a rental car in Minnesota if your only interested in the Mall of America and the stadium. The light rail runs from the airport and all the way to the Mall of America in Bloomington. I recommend staying
in Bloomington or somewhere along the light rail or downtown.
Ohjay wrote:Light rail is very convenient and an easy way to get around. As Jackal said, if Mall of America, US Bank and downtown are of interest then you don't need a car.Taking the Light Rail from the airport is a good way to get downtown and a lot cheaper than taking a cab.
Ohjay wrote:Terminal 2 at the airport is very sparse. Not much to do, so try to avoid having to spend a lot of time there.
Needed - Information about the airport. Information about traffic (areas to avoid, shortcuts, etc.).

Things to do in Minnesota
  • Zoo
  • Natural History Museum
”DeeEss57” wrote:If you're into theatre, the NEW Guthrie is just down Chicago Ave. Then, there's Valley Fair, historic Fort Snelling, the Walker Art Center (the one with the giant spoon and cherry you always see on the national sports broadcasts.), and the Minnesota Science Museum in St Paul.
Needed - Anything fun to do while in Minnesota

Stadium/Game Day Tips
S197 wrote:Exit through one of the main gates, like the large swinging doors. There are tiny exits on the sides but they funnel you into very narrow walkways that gets clogged. I only did this once, and it was the first game at US Bank, so maybe it's improved but I haven't bothered to try again. Only bonus to this is if we just beat the Packers and you get to gloat while they have nowhere to run.
S197 wrote:I would Uber to the game if you can, the stadium is conveniently located. Getting an Uber back is a little more of a challenge but once you walk away from the stadium (maybe 5 min) it's easy. Or grab a beer nearby and wait for the crowd to die down.
S197 wrote:I recommend doing the stadium tour at least once. Not just a good tour of the stadium and the suites but you also get to go on the field and into the locker rooms. If you dive in the endzone, be prepared for some turf burns and hundreds of rubber pellets in your shoes. Not that I would know from experience...
Ohjay wrote:Make sure to look up the status of the glass doors on game day and dress accordingly. With chilly weather and open doors it can also get a bit chilly inside.
Needed - Anything!

Tailgating Advice
”S197” wrote:Not all parking areas are designated for tailgating. Make sure you get a parking pass for one of the lots that allow it.
”S197” wrote: There's a lot of stuff right outside the stadium. Big grassy area with a stage for music, indoor area right next with beers, usually booths set up. Parking is scattered so that area might be your best bet.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Updating the Traveling/Game Attending Advice

Post by S197 »

I'm by no means an expert or someone who lives in Minneapolis so please keep this in mind.

Lodging

We like the DoubleTree Suites on the corner of Lasalle and 11th. Walking distance to many restaurants and shops. Maybe a 10 minute uber to US Bank. There are several other options in this area to explore the nice thing about this place is it's a little bigger so good if going with family or buddies. If you're going alone or with one other person, there may be better options.

Dining

Butcher & The Boar
Capital Grill
Manny's Steakhouse
Surly (better when Vikings were playing at TCF due to proximity)
Happy Gnome Bar (St. Paul, thanks to the VMB user who recommended this place!)

Stadium Tips

Exit through one of the main gates, like the large swinging doors. There are tiny exits on the sides but they funnel you into very narrow walkways that gets clogged. I only did this once, and it was the first game at US Bank, so maybe it's improved but I haven't bothered to try again. Only bonus to this is if we just beat the Packers and you get to gloat while they have nowhere to run.

I would Uber to the game if you can, the stadium is conveniently located. Getting an Uber back is a little more of a challenge but once you walk away from the stadium (maybe 5 min) it's easy. Or grab a beer nearby and wait for the crowd to die down.

I recommend doing the stadium tour at least once. Not just a good tour of the stadium and the suites but you also get to go on the field and into the locker rooms. If you dive in the endzone, be prepared for some turf burns and hundreds of rubber pellets in your shoes. Not that I would know from experience...
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

S197 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:21 pm Happy Gnome Bar (St. Paul, thanks to the VMB user who recommended this place!)
I think that's me. You're welcome! :)

And like S197 said, I'm not an expert either or lives in Minneapolis but I do travel there a lot, for what it's worth.

Lodging
Basically every downtown hotel is good but a couple of specific tips:
Embassy Suites - Great rooms, good location and a very nice breakfast that's included in room price (which can be very reasonable)
Loews - Probably my favourite. Just overall very classy with huge rooms(by US standards).
Days Hotel (on University Ave) - Decent place for people on a budget. Perfect if you only need a place to sleep, not good for much else but the price makes up for it. It's a couple of stops by Light Rail to US Bank, but very easy to get there.

Dining
Sanctuary - Upscale dining, usually with quite interesting menu options that challenge your taste buds in amazing ways
O'Donovan's (by Target Center) - General pub food, but I always enjoy myself here.
8th Street Grill - I should not mention this place because it is a slightly Packers oriented bar (although it took me several years before I noticed). Good beer selection and good food. They have a lot of pub food but some of their other dishes are amazing for being in a pub (the pasta is very, very good)

Travel
Light rail is very convenient and an easy way to get around. As Jackal said, if Mall of America, US Bank and downtown are of interest then you don't need a car.
Taking the Light Rail from the airport is a good way to get downtown and a lot cheaper than taking a cab.

Terminal 2 at the airport is very sparse. Not much to do, so try to avoid having to spend a lot of time there.

Stadium
Make sure to look up the status of the glass doors on game day and dress accordingly. With chilly weather and open doors it can also get a bit chilly inside.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Ah yes, thanks Ohjay! They have a crazy beer selection and it's part of our annual pilgrimage. I think I've been to 8th St Grill, is that the one with the umbrella seats outside? Definitely a Packers bar if so.

Hell's Kitchen seems popular for breakfast but it's always so crowded we just pass.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Thanks a lot! I've updated the main thread with your tips.

Bringing an "out of towners" perspective is a good thing, I think. A lot of people looking at these tips will be just that.
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

S197 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:14 pm Ah yes, thanks Ohjay! They have a crazy beer selection and it's part of our annual pilgrimage. I think I've been to 8th St Grill, is that the one with the umbrella seats outside? Definitely a Packers bar if so.

Hell's Kitchen seems popular for breakfast but it's always so crowded we just pass.
Yep that's the one. 8th Street also has some typical Wisconsin cuisine I think.
Funny thing is I don't think I've ever seen a GB fan there except when Packers are in town.

Have heard very good things about Hell's Kitchen for breakfast and brunch.
Same goes for Ike's, but I've never visited either place.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

One amazing restaurant is Fogo de Chao. It's down by Target Field. It's a Brazilian steakhouse. Everyone at the table gets a button. One side red, one side green. When you want to be served, flip it to green and servers flock to you with every meat you could ever imagine and slice it right there in front of you. They are coming so fast you have to turn your button back to red so they will stop. I believe it was $51 per person all you can eat. Amazing salad bar (and more) as well. Cant beat it for the price. Food is unreal
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:49 pm One amazing restaurant is Fogo de Chao. It's down by Target Field. It's a Brazilian steakhouse. Everyone at the table gets a button. One side red, one side green. When you want to be served, flip it to green and servers flock to you with every meat you could ever imagine and slice it right there in front of you. They are coming so fast you have to turn your button back to red so they will stop. I believe it was $51 per person all you can eat. Amazing salad bar (and more) as well. Cant beat it for the price. Food is unreal
Thanks for the addition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Excellent thread though. I'm always looking for other stuff to do when I go every year. I'm either going to week 3 vs. Buffalo or waiting until later in the year so I can catch the Vikes, Wild and T'Wolves all on the same weekend. Which would end up being my bachelor party weekend. Havent decided if I want to do that or go to Florida for the bachelor party.

Last year I went to Minnesota twice. Once for week 3 vs Tampa and the other week 15 vs. Cincy. Week 15 we were able to see the Wild, T'Wolves and Vikings all in the same weekend. One of the coolest experiences of my life
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Also still havent been to John Randles restaurant. Probably go this year. Has anyone gone yet?
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

For lodging we stayed at the Radisson Blue last year. It's right downtown towards Target Field. Not too bad of a walk to the stadium and you're around everything. The FireLake Grill is built into the hotel. They say its the "coldest beer in Minneapolis"
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

We stayed at the W, above Manny's steakhouse. Both were solid, as they should be for the price!

My favorite is Surly. The food, atmosphere, and beer are unbeatable.

Brasa Rotisserie is excellent. It's in that area between North East and Dinkytown. Just on the other side of the Mississippi from downtown.

We ate at George and the Dragon a couple weeks ago and really liked it, but it's down in S. MPLS.
Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Traveling/Game Attending Advice

Post by Barry »

Heading up for my first chance to see a home game. Going to the Indianapolis game.
Thanks for this thread.
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
USMNT & Die Nationalmannschaft