New Kickoff Rules

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

New Kickoff Rules

Post by Cliff »

Link Here.
While the proposed changes might not appear dramatic to the naked eye, they are to the people involved with the game. Among the differences: There will be no running start or pre-kick motion by cover teams and no wedge blocks by return squads. Also, there will be a 15-yard, non-contact zone from the spot of the kick, with the return team required to have a minimum of eight players lined up 15 yards from the ball. The expectation is that this will not only take some of the bigger linemen off the field because there will be a premium on agility and speed to operate in space, but also eliminate some of the violent collisions on the back end of the play. As described, the coverage will resemble what's normally seen on a punt than a "traditional" kickoff.
Packers president Mark Murphy admitted the kickoff is on a "short leash" because of the dangers associated with it. He said the data shows that players are five times more likely to sustain a concussion on kickoffs than a play from scrimmage. Competition committee chairman Rich McKay said players sustained 71 concussions on kickoffs the last three seasons, with at least a third stemming from wedge plays.

"We want to preserve the play, and this is a big first step to doing that," McKay said.
"It's going to give guys a better chance to execute good, solid football technique," said Harbaugh. "So blockers are going to be in position to square up on blockers and make good football blocks. There won't be the awkward angles as much as there were before. There will be fewer on-a-rail-type injuries, too -- and more returns, more cleaner returns. That's good for the game, too. You better get a returner."
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: New Kickoff Rules

Post by akvikingsfan »

Sounds like 1) there will be bigger returns; and 2) onside kicks will be easier. It'll be interesting to see how these changes play out during the preseason and then during the regular season. My bet is that kickoffs are eliminated within the next 5 years.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

akvikingsfan wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:23 am Sounds like 1) there will be bigger returns; and 2) onside kicks will be easier. It'll be interesting to see how these changes play out during the preseason and then during the regular season. My bet is that kickoffs are eliminated within the next 5 years.
I think so too. When I read this part;
and more returns, more cleaner returns. That's good for the game, too. You better get a returner."
I thought about our first round pick and his added value in that role. It also makes me wonder what Patterson might do this year.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

I just went back and looked at your original post. I missed the second box of quoted text. I'm going to blame it on the new layout :wink: . But hey, at least it confirms my thought!

I wonder if the team had knowledge of this particular change coming down the pipeline and it influenced the pick?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

akvikingsfan wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:32 am I just went back and looked at your original post. I missed the second box of quoted text. I'm going to blame it on the new layout :wink: . But hey, at least it confirms my thought!

I wonder if the team had knowledge of this particular change coming down the pipeline and it influenced the pick?
Well you can't please everyone! ;)

I think they probably had some idea about the rule change but I think they value the return game a bit more than other teams in general. I'm sure his added value there contributed to the decision.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The current trend in the league prior to this rule change was fewer and fewer big returns. Patterson's return ability was rather unique within this environment and that is a credit to his immense physical talent. We definitely lacked that bit of explosiveness in our special teams last year with his departure. Of course it is also worth noting, that with more competent play from our offense, it also wasn't a necessity.

At least on paper, this does make the Hughes pick look better. But you have to ask: If Hughes develops into an elite corner, do we want to risk him in the return game? Of course if he develops into an elite corner we probably won't mind the pick as much, so that might be splitting hairs?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

mansquatch wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:29 am The current trend in the league prior to this rule change was fewer and fewer big returns. Patterson's return ability was rather unique within this environment and that is a credit to his immense physical talent. We definitely lacked that bit of explosiveness in our special teams last year with his departure. Of course it is also worth noting, that with more competent play from our offense, it also wasn't a necessity.

At least on paper, this does make the Hughes pick look better. But you have to ask: If Hughes develops into an elite corner, do we want to risk him in the return game? Of course if he develops into an elite corner we probably won't mind the pick as much, so that might be splitting hairs?
I like the idea that we'll probably get *some* kind of value out of him even if he "busts" at CB. Like the Patterson pick. He didn't turn out as a WR but thanks to his value as a return man he still wasn't like the Troy Williamson pick.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

mansquatch wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:29 am If Hughes develops into an elite corner, do we want to risk him in the return game? Of course if he develops into an elite corner we probably won't mind the pick as much, so that might be splitting hairs?
Although it looks like the rule changes might maximize Hughes benefits as a returner with perhaps less cost (less risk of injury).
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm not pessimistic on Hughes when it comes to that pick. Hughes, based on what we know now, should be an upgrade over Alexander and might also help in the return game. The issue I have is they neglected other significant areas of need in order to take him and that leave a bad taste in the mouth.

I think Hughes was a BPA pick more than anything. Just my speculation.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:27 am I think so too. When I read this part;

I thought about our first round pick and his added value in that role. It also makes me wonder what Patterson might do this year.
It also makes me wonder if Bill Belichick had a pretty good idea this was the direction things were going. If so, that would be good reason to go out and get a returner with Patterson's ability.

I'm eager to see what the new rules bring. If they help significantly bring down those concussion/injury numbers, maybe kickoffs won't go the way of the dodo after all.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:57 am I'm not pessimistic on Hughes when it comes to that pick. Hughes, based on what we know now, should be an upgrade over Alexander and might also help in the return game. The issue I have is they neglected other significant areas of need in order to take him and that leave a bad taste in the mouth.

I think Hughes was a BPA pick more than anything. Just my speculation.
Personally, I think he was less a BPA pick and more PZP (Please Zimmer Pick). ;)
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

WOW,
Removing the kickoff stinks. What about the Onsides Kick when teams are behind in the last minutes of a game? No way for them to get the ball back. Better come up with something soon . Wow in ten years will the NFL be extinct?
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

explanation of new kickoff rules with animation.

https://twitter.com/NFLFootballOps/stat ... 5314619393
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014