Vikings Draft Picks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StpViking
Starter

Re: Vikings Draft Picks

Post by StpViking »

Wow, a lot of anger over not picking Hernandez. A guy that lunges way too much for my liking.

O'neil was one of my wish list for day 2 so I will bang the table for him. He's better people here give him credit for. And I think he will prove it in camp. He might beat out Reiff for LT and moving him to RT.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

StpViking wrote:Wow, a lot of anger over not picking Hernandez. A guy that lunges way too much for my liking.

He might beat out Reiff for LT and moving him to RT.
I'll take that bet because...no freaking way.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: He's not an amazing pass blocker. His team used him primarily on pulling. He lacks NFL strength. Is that registering? I.E. when he lines up with MEN... he is going to get bullrushed.

You also aren't focusing on the picture. The Packers were able to find 1st round talent at CB in both the 1st and 2nd round.
We found 4th round talent at OT in the 2nd. Even if we missed Hughes, who we took to address CB would be closer to his talent than this beefed up TE we selected. He is a project... Great feet decent hand placement, but poor strength (a need for Olinemen)
He was the 3rd best pass blocker in the draft according to PFF. But yeah, he’s not an amazing pass blocker?

How is O’Neill a 4th round talent? Because he “lacks nfl strength” means he’s a 4th rounder? He put up 22 reps on the bench. Someone that also did that.....Pat Elflein. And Elflein has much shorter arms which makes benching much easier. Granted benchin isn’t everything and yeah he’ll need to add some strength but that doesn’t make him a 4th round talent. We’ve had nothing but bad pass blocking tackles here for quite a while and now we get a solid one and fans are complaining. I don’t get it. If you look at the best tackles in the nfl, they put up 20-30 reps on the bench at the combine. No less O’Neill is very athletic. Saying he’s a 4th round talent is laughable. Let me know the last time a guy that allowed 1 sack in 852 snaps went in the 4th round :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote:Wow!

"Strengths: Size, effort.

Weaknesses: Quickness, balance.

Brian O’Neill is a tortoise coming off the line of scrimmage, forcing him to lunge and lose balance as he tries to compensate. He’ll raise injury liability premiums for his quarterback as a left tackle but could be a stopgap on the right side or get the job done at guard. O’Neill took some goal-line carries and threw a few trick-play passes at Pitt, so he may provide a smidge of extra value as a goal-line fullback.

This was an obvious need pick for the Vikings. But O’Neill is too much like the kind of slow-footed offensive line prospect that has gotten the team into trouble in the past.

Grade: D-plus"

Bleacher Report
Lol you’re digging pal. Bucky Brooks (a former nfl scout) gave it a B. I’d trust his word over bleacher reports “wanna-be” analysts. Just a tip, when you quote something, you wanna use credible sources. Just sayin.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:And you think Hughes will make the difference? Thats hes better then Rhodes and Waynes now? He isnt even ready to take Newmans spot. Rick picked another athlete, much like CP84, and thinks Zim can make him a star. Maybe someday, but we didnt need a guy thats this much of a project now. Unless one of of current CBs goes down, then we are in trouble. If they wanted a pure CB, Jackson would have been picked. But guess who got him? The Packers. I wont even comment on O'Neil. We shouldnt have even had to pick him if Rick hadnt listened to Zim and drafted a RAW CB. He would have selected Hernandez.
Lol if Jackson was so good or one of the best CB in the draft, why did he not go until midway through the 2nd? It was ether Mayock or Jeremiah (two more reliable sources) had Hughes ranked as the 15th best player in the entire draft. But man maybe I’ll call you and YikesVikes the new Brooks and Jeremiah. Because you guys seem to act like you know more than two former nfl scouts. :confused:
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:Breaking down O'Neil (and Miller but skip to O'Neil)

https://www.ndtscouting.com/thorn-film- ... ssion=true
Thanks for sharing. Some interesting looks.

Its not a bad pick if you don't expect a contribution this year AND if you believe you can elevate his play despite the CBA restrictions in practice.

I'm always thinking outside the box, but what would be very interesting is an OL of Rashod Hill at RT, Mike Remmers at RG, Pat Elflein at C, Riley Reiff at LG (he would be legendary as a G in my opinion) and O'neill at LT. They could develop a really great running game with that set up, but pass protection would be terrifying. Use Collins and Morgan at TEs and have the kind of movement skills you'd get our of that OL group and you could come up with some very fun run blocking schemes.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:And you think Hughes will make the difference? Thats hes better then Rhodes and Waynes now? He isnt even ready to take Newmans spot. Rick picked another athlete, much like CP84, and thinks Zim can make him a star. Maybe someday, but we didnt need a guy thats this much of a project now. Unless one of of current CBs goes down, then we are in trouble. If they wanted a pure CB, Jackson would have been picked. But guess who got him? The Packers. I wont even comment on O'Neil. We shouldnt have even had to pick him if Rick hadnt listened to Zim and drafted a RAW CB. He would have selected Hernandez.
Lol if Jackson was so good or one of the best CB in the draft, why did he not go until midway through the 2nd? It was ether Mayock or Jeremiah (two more reliable sources) had Hughes ranked as the 15th best player in the entire draft. But man maybe I’ll call you and YikesVikes the new Brooks and Jeremiah. Because you guys seem to act like you know more than two former nfl scouts. :confused:
Its not that big a deal. there is no need to be so antagonistic all the time.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Brian O’Neill is a tortoise coming off the line of scrimmage, forcing him to lunge and lose balance as he tries to compensate. He’ll raise injury liability premiums for his quarterback as a left tackle but could be a stopgap on the right side or get the job done at guard. O’Neill took some goal-line carries and threw a few trick-play passes at Pitt, so he may provide a smidge of extra value as a goal-line fullback.

This was an obvious need pick for the Vikings. But O’Neill is too much like the kind of slow-footed offensive line prospect that has gotten the team into trouble in the past.

Bleacher Report
Lol you’re digging pal. Bucky Brooks (a former nfl scout) gave it a B. I’d trust his word over bleacher reports “wanna-be” analysts. Just a tip, when you quote something, you wanna use credible sources. Just sayin.
The same Bucky that hasn't given anyone less than a B so far? The same Bucky that on air said, hes the easiest grade you will find?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

fiestavike wrote:
Its not that big a deal. there is no need to be so antagonistic all the time.
Dude has issues. Jackson went late because smart teams were gobbling up Olinemen. We didn't get the message and got stuck with a converted TE with clear strength issues.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

YikesVikes wrote:
Dude has issues. Jackson went late because smart teams were gobbling up Olinemen. We didn't get the message and got stuck with a converted TE with clear strength issues.
Chill out. Its just a game. We get you don't like the pick.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

YikesVikes wrote:

Bleacher Report
The same Bucky that hasn't given anyone less than a B so far? The same Bucky that on air said, hes the easiest grade you will find?

As I posted in the draft thread, you're putting stock in the bleacher report analyst who had Bradley Chubb to the Broncos as a C grade?
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Draft grades mean absolutely nothing. Where an individual is drafted means absolutely nothing. The only thing that matters is whether that individual can produce when given the opportunity. How many Vikings starters are 3 round draft picks or later?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Dude has issues. Jackson went late because smart teams were gobbling up Olinemen. We didn't get the message and got stuck with a converted TE with clear strength issues.
Lol yeah I’m sure that’s why “one of the best CBs” fell THAT far. :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote:[

Lol he’s an NFL scout!!! You’re going off of bleacher report. Who doesn’t carry enough credibility to say so. Backing a bleacher report analysts doesn’t help your credibility whatsoever just to let you know. Brooks, Jeremiah and Mayock are the most knowledgeable drafts analysts out there. They know these guys inside and out. Listening to bleacher report is like listen to “Viking age”. They are a bunch of sports guys that think they know talent. Brooks and Jeremiah actually scouted and drafted talent for a living. You’re beat with this argument pal
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

nightowl wrote:[

As I posted in the draft thread, you're putting stock in the bleacher report analyst who had Bradley Chubb to the Broncos as a C grade?
:lol: I didn’t see that one. That’s bleacher report for ya
-Chazz Palminteri