Message Board Update and Changes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Message Board Update and Changes

Post by jackal »

Cliff the banner is awesome

I would send you some in and out
but I think it would spoil...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:It's coming along.

Lots of work to do still but what do you think about the banner? Too much? A bit smaller maybe?

Aside from the banner being busted I think I actually like the mobile version better than tapatalk ...
Only mildly terrible.

Personal preference but I think there are too many players in the banner. Obviously it should just be Mewelde Moore and Babatunde Aiyegbusi.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

808vikingsfan wrote:Nice. I like the shade of purple. Pretty close to Vikings purple.
It should be! I used the "color picker" in Chrome and sampled the color directly from a player's uniform.
Is it normal for the page not to stretch the length of the monitor on a desktop? Zooming in fixes this but was just wondering. Guessing it's more for mobile compatibility.
It's for desktop compatibility mostly. People come to the site with all kinds of different screen resolutions. What loads with a bunch of space might be fully zoomed in for someone else due to monitor size. As such, the website loads with plenty of room to allow for all. This site always loads at full screen and I *might* go that way here too. I think it looks better with the space though, honestly.

The site can then easily be zoomed in for those that like it bigger (maybe it's easier to read that way) but more compact for those that don't. Personally I think it looks best at about 125% zoom and still isn't too big so I'll probably have the site load there instead of 100%. I agree that it's pretty small at 100% - but again, that's at my screen resolution (1920 X 1080).

You are right about the mobile compatibility to some degree - the layout overall makes it easier to port to mobile. However, the site actually uses different code depending on the screen resolution someone comes to the site with. So the way something loads on desktop and how it loads on mobile can be two completely different pieces of code.

In many ways I actually have to design the site twice (sometimes 3 times if it doesn't act right on both iOS and Android - they've got some weird differences that can cause problems).

I appreciate the feedback!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

jackal wrote:Cliff the banner is awesome

I would send you some in and out
but I think it would spoil...
I'm glad you like it!

The thought is appreciated lol
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote:
Cliff wrote:It's coming along.

Lots of work to do still but what do you think about the banner? Too much? A bit smaller maybe?

Aside from the banner being busted I think I actually like the mobile version better than tapatalk ...
Only mildly terrible.

Personal preference but I think there are too many players in the banner. Obviously it should just be Mewelde Moore and Babatunde Aiyegbusi.
I was just going to litter it with all of the Vikings coaching greats. Les Steckel, Childress, Fraizer, maybe Norv Turner.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Appreciate the effort cliff. Check out footballsfuture.com. I haven’t been on in years (I was a member on there before this board). I got on recently just to browse and they have some nice features. They have a “like button” for every post. So instead of having to quote an entire thread just to say you agree, you can just like it instead. Also, they only allow you to quote on post, where we can go up to 3 which can be a pain. Especially when you’re using a mobile device to respond. Only downfall about their layout is that’s it’s very bland and boring. Outside of that they have some good features. Check it out!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'll do that!

I'm already planning on the "like" functionality. It wasn't something that could be applied to phpBB 3.0 but works in 3.2. PHPbb seems to have a plugin that kind of mimics Facebook's "like" system. I was also considering adding a plugin that allowed for chatting and just opening it up on game days.

Changing the number of "quotes" allowed is actually a setting I could change now so I might look into that.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Cliff wrote:I'll do that!

I'm already planning on the "like" functionality. It wasn't something that could be applied to phpBB 3.0 but works in 3.2. PHPbb seems to have a plugin that kind of mimics Facebook's "like" system. I was also considering adding a plugin that allowed for chatting and just opening it up on game days.

Changing the number of "quotes" allowed is actually a setting I could change now so I might look into that.
Keep that number small. I have seen pages on other boards with up to 12 quotes embedded into each other. Not only is it hard to read, but not necessary.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Raptorman wrote:
Cliff wrote:I'll do that!

Keep that number small. I have seen pages on other boards with up to 12 quotes embedded into each other. Not only is it hard to read, but not necessary.
I agree.

Cliff, do you have any control on options for the Tapatalk app?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Cliff
Thanks for all your time upgrading us.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Cliff, do you have any control on options for the Tapatalk app?
At the moment no. Due to our version of phpBB I can't really do anything with Tapatalk. Honestly I'm hoping with the new format people won't feel the need to use it as much. I hate having something tied to the site that generates ads.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

halfgiz wrote:Cliff
You're quite welcome!
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Cliff wrote:
halfgiz wrote:Cliff
You're quite welcome!

And not trading all of us to some random Packer site.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Thanks for all the work Cliff. This has been my favorite Vikings spot for all the news and insight. I think its by far the best Vikings board, right down to the moderators. Its really nice to have you keep it current and up to date with all the latest web stuff. I too love the idea of a like button. I have a feeling Jim is going to get a lot of likes. :thumbsup:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Tapatalk is just a terrible app. I'm shocked someone hasn't come out with a better one. The only reason I use it from time to time is it's about the only option I'm aware of.