Subtraction (of salary cap) by addition

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mike2mike
Starter

Subtraction (of salary cap) by addition

Post by mike2mike »

So we have Brian Robison making potentially 3.5M with zero guarenteed. That is we can save 3.5M by cutting him.
So the idea is to sign multiple players ton the DL for a 3.5M or less contract including draft picks and UDFAs with minimal guarenteed. One of them makes the team and if that person is making less than 3.5M we save cap room.
Do the same at other positions like safety (Sendejo) tight end (Rudolph) and runningback (Murray) or anyone else that we could get cap relief. Then we can use those signings as leverage to potentially negotiate a pay cut.

Sendejo and BRob would save ~3.5M to cut (minus whatever the replacement costs). I don't foresee Sendejo being replaced but Sendejo would also us save 5.5M next year.

I heard Murray took a pay cut but I don't know how much. I think he would have saved around $5M this year and next year before the paycut.

Rudolph is perhaps the most valuable but would save something like $6M this year and $7.5M next year and as such given the name of the free agents available he has the potential to save us the most cap room...which gives us options to sign free agents like Tyler Eifert, Antonio Gates, Ed Dickson, Marcellus Bennet, Brent Celek, etc to potentially fill his place and save us cap room in the process.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Subtraction (of salary cap) by addition

Post by PurpleMustReign »

They are not going to cut any of the players you mentioned. Robison retiring is the only possibility.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:They are not going to cut any of the players you mentioned. Robison retiring is the only possibility.

Agreed (though B-Rob takikg a pay cut or being released is a slight possibility after I read he was a no comment after he was asked something recently about his future). FY Eifert re-signed with Cincinnati.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

dead_poet wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:They are not going to cut any of the players you mentioned. Robison retiring is the only possibility.

Agreed (though B-Rob takikg a pay cut or being released is a slight possibility after I read he was a no comment after he was asked something recently about his future). FY Eifert re-signed with Cincinnati.
Robison already took a pay cut last year. I would hope the Vikings take care of him this year and let him retire as planned.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

808vikingsfan wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Robison already took a pay cut last year. I would hope the Vikings take care of him this year and let him retire as planned.
Agreed. Guy has been loyal to the organization and has never had any off the field issues.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

And we need this extra salary cap for what reason at this moment?

By two sources, the Vikings currently have between $28 and $29 million in cap space, after signing Richardson. Murray took a pay cut and saved them $1.15 in cap space.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Raptorman wrote:And we need this extra salary cap for what reason at this moment?

By two sources, the Vikings currently have between $28 and $29 million in cap space, after signing Richardson. Murray took a pay cut and saved them $1.15 in cap space.
That is my question too. Rookies only get a total of like $20 million, right?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Raptorman wrote:And we need this extra salary cap for what reason at this moment?

That is my question too. Rookies only get a total of like $20 million, right?

Vikings rookie pool is like $6 million.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

Those numbers did not include Richardson. With his addition, overthecap.com is currently showing us at $21.7M. Extending Barr will likely give us a few million more. Extending Hunter, Diggs and Kendricks would likely cost us 2018 cap space.