2018 Free Agency

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2018 Free Agency

Post by dead_poet »

Patriots traded for Patterson. So the hoodie gets his guy in the end.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:Patriots traded for Patterson. So the hoodie gets his guy in the end.

I'll be interested to see if he finally prospers. He sure wasn't valued too highly:
while swapping a 5th round pick for a #Raiders 6th round pick.
If there's anywhere he might excel, it's in NE.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote:
dead_poet wrote:Patriots traded for Patterson. So the hoodie gets his guy in the end.

I'll be interested to see if he finally prospers. He sure wasn't valued too highly:
while swapping a 5th round pick for a #Raiders 6th round pick.
If there's anywhere he might excel, it's in NE.
I'm skeptical he gets many snaps with Cooks, Edelman and Hogan in front of him.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

He was grabbed to return kicks.

NE had the 4th best returner last year (Dion Lewis) and lost him to the titans.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Cliff wrote:He was grabbed to return kicks.

I suspect this is correct. Did anyone else notice how dismal Kick Returns have become since they changed the rules? My sense is Belicik is fine paying him slightly more to give them an edge in the return game. FWIW, I hope the NFL reviews the Kick off rules. The return game is really suffering right now.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mansquatch wrote:

I suspect this is correct. Did anyone else notice how dismal Kick Returns have become since they changed the rules? My sense is Belicik is fine paying him slightly more to give them an edge in the return game. FWIW, I hope the NFL reviews the Kick off rules. The return game is really suffering right now.
They are planning to remove the kickoff from the game entirely. Making it boring and totally uneventful is the first step in that process.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

fiestavike wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

They are planning to remove the kickoff from the game entirely. Making it boring and totally uneventful is the first step in that process.

SIGH
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Hopefully our team takes a look at the second wave of free agency soonish. There are some guys out there who could be signed cheap for competition/depth roles. I would like to see the team try for Jack Mewhort, D.J. Fluker, and/or Matt Slauson for interior depth.
Darrell Williams and Austin Howard would be interesting players for offensive tackle depth.
Luke Wilson or Brent Celek could be potential TE pieces.
Karl Klug would be ideal for defensive tackle depth.
There are some interesting edge defenders like Elvis Dummervil, Pharnell McPhee, and Connor Barwin.
If Newman doesn't resign, the team could look into E.J. Gaines, Darqueze Dennard, Bashuad Breeland, Ross Crockel, or DRC.
Finally, if Forbath isn't resigned, the team could try to guage Sebastian Janikowski.

I am in no means saying we need to sign all or any of these players. I just feel we should add a few veterans before the draft. We still have holes to fill and we still have some cap room left to make some moves.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Hopefully our team takes a look at the second wave of free agency soonish. There are some guys out there who could be signed cheap for competition/depth roles. I would like to see the team try for Jack Mewhort, D.J. Fluker, and/or Matt Slauson for interior depth.
Darrell Williams and Austin Howard would be interesting players for offensive tackle depth.
There are some interesting edge defenders like Elvis Dummervil, Pharnell McPhee, and Connor Barwin.
If Newman doesn't resign, the team could look into E.J. Gaines, Darqueze Dennard, Bashuad Breeland, Ross Crockel, or DRC.
Finally, if Forbath isn't resigned, the team could try to guage Sebastian Janikowski.

I am in no means saying we need to sign all or any of these players. I just feel we should add a few veterans before the draft. We still have holes to fill and we still have some cap room left to make some moves.
My bet is they draft a kicker in the late rounds. But yes I agree on the interior line depth, Fluker I thinks could be grabbed cheap.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

mansquatch wrote:

Yeah, but it’s still important. It’s another small edge that adds up to big advantages over the course of a game. That’s where I wish we could have held onto Patterson. Of course, he still wants to be a pass catcher primarily (and who can blame him) but he still hasn’t put that together. He seems to be Devin Hester 2.0. It’s still a valuable role. I’d have Devin Hester in his prime on my team for the right price any day. Patterson has that kind of ability and then some.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Hopefully our team takes a look at the second wave of free agency soonish. There are some guys out there who could be signed cheap for competition/depth roles. I would like to see the team try for Jack Mewhort, D.J. Fluker, and/or Matt Slauson for interior depth.

I liked Dennard coming out of college but had forgotten about him. I can see him being a Zimm type of player. He's physical and has 1st round pedigree.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Dennard is still under contract
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Rams saw Joseph and Richardson and said, "That's nice: I'll raise you Suh and Donald."

Rams looking real tough this year.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Rams saw Joseph and Richardson and said, "That's nice: I'll raise you Suh and Donald."

Ugh was really hoping Suh wouldn't sign there. That's a pretty thuggish defense, hopefully it causes chemistry issues.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:
dead_poet wrote:Rams saw Joseph and Richardson and said, "That's nice: I'll raise you Suh and Donald."

Ugh was really hoping Suh wouldn't sign there. That's a pretty thuggish defense, hopefully it causes chemistry issues.
And dang, they got Wade running that show. That team is stacked. But you're right, lots of strong personalities. Come to think of it, has tge team given Donald his mega extension yet? If not, he can't be happy the new guy got paid before he did.