[Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: [Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

Post by mansquatch »

YikesVikes wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:All of you guys who are worried about resigning defensive stars need to take a look at Over the Cap's numbers for the 2019 Vikings.

We are projected to have $67 million in cap space in 2019. If we sign Cousins for $30 million a year, that's STILL $37 million. We will be just fine.

Also, this past season, we paid $23 million to quarterbacks. Think about that. We allocated a total of $23 million to Sam Bradford, who essentially played one game; Teddy Bridgewater, who took 5 snaps; Kyle Sloter, the highest-paid practice squad QB in the league; and Case Keenum, who made just $2 million for the 12 wins he contributed. It's incredible to me that we can sit here and worry about adding $7-$10 million in quarterback salary when we paid $21 million to guys who made virtually no contributions to the team in 2017.

This organization has been managed extremely well. We are sitting in a good financial position. We have the best stadium AND the best training facility in the league. Minnesota Vikings football has never been in a better position.

I also look at this from the standpoint of pairing Kirk Cousins with John DeFilippo, who is widely regarded as one of the best coaches of quarterbacks in the league. It's entirely possible that Cousins will actually raise his game with the Vikings.
We have a bigger issue possible. NFL requires that large contract figures be put into escrow. If we hit 100 million, the ownership group is going to have to come up with that money
And what evidence do you have that the Vikings ownership is in such financial dire straits that they cannot float such a cost? Let alone that they are not aware of the rules?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Kirk Cousins' first visit will be with the Vikings.

This is as sure a sign as any the Vikings are in pole position, and their only real competition seems to be the Jets after the Broncos agreed to terms with Case Keenum early Tuesday morning. At this point, it would be a surprise if Cousins ended up anywhere else.
Here we go boys!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

28 million over three years fully guaranteed is a truck load of risk. I'm excited just as you all are if this really happens but if this guy gets hurt I'm going to cry.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PhillyVike wrote:28 million over three years fully guaranteed is a truck load of risk. I'm excited just as you all are if this really happens but if this guy gets hurt I'm going to cry.
Agreed. I hope you just "knocked on wood" when you said that
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

PhillyVike wrote:28 million over three years fully guaranteed is a truck load of risk. I'm excited just as you all are if this really happens but if this guy gets hurt I'm going to cry.
no doubt. but if you're in the spot we're in right now, where a superbowl isn't out of the question, it's a good risk in my opinion. These windows don't open up often as we all know way too well.

this is exciting
i'm ready for a beer.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:
JDLon wrote:
Free agent QB Kirk Cousins is visiting the Vikings first, source said. THat first visit is huge
Rapoport

everything still pointing to Cousins to the Vikings
Also being said it's $28 million/year.

I just watched a video of the new facilities. He's signing unless he's getting $30 million from Arizona or New York.
The Jets already said they would pay more then that. Do you guys think they were bluffing?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

mansquatch wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:All of you guys who are worried about resigning defensive stars need to take a look at Over the Cap's numbers for the 2019 Vikings.

We are projected to have $67 million in cap space in 2019. If we sign Cousins for $30 million a year, that's STILL $37 million. We will be just fine.

Also, this past season, we paid $23 million to quarterbacks. Think about that. We allocated a total of $23 million to Sam Bradford, who essentially played one game; Teddy Bridgewater, who took 5 snaps; Kyle Sloter, the highest-paid practice squad QB in the league; and Case Keenum, who made just $2 million for the 12 wins he contributed. It's incredible to me that we can sit here and worry about adding $7-$10 million in quarterback salary when we paid $21 million to guys who made virtually no contributions to the team in 2017.

This organization has been managed extremely well. We are sitting in a good financial position. We have the best stadium AND the best training facility in the league. Minnesota Vikings football has never been in a better position.

I also look at this from the standpoint of pairing Kirk Cousins with John DeFilippo, who is widely regarded as one of the best coaches of quarterbacks in the league. It's entirely possible that Cousins will actually raise his game with the Vikings.
We have a bigger issue possible. NFL requires that large contract figures be put into escrow. If we hit 100 million, the ownership group is going to have to come up with that money
And what evidence do you have that the Vikings ownership is in such financial dire straits that they cannot float such a cost? Let alone that they are not aware of the rules?
I never said they were in dire straights but I did say that they have to have that money upfront to close the deal. If it was a 5 year 30 million dollar deal, that's a lot of pesos. I also vaguely remember a time when ownership had to scramble to raise the money to afford a new contract. Add in two new facilities and I thought it was worth mentioning especially since everyone may not have known about fully escrowed contracts.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Kirk Cousins plans to sign a three-year, fully-guaranteed contract from the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday, sources tell ESPN.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 13, 2018
Lets go!!!!!
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

vikeinmontana wrote:
no doubt. but if you're in the spot we're in right now, where a superbowl isn't out of the question, it's a good risk in my opinion. These windows don't open up often as we all know way too well.

this is exciting
Glad it looks like we are getting Cousins but....We aren’t going far until we improve our OL. Even Redskins line was ranked higher than the Vikings.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
The Jets already said they would pay more then that. Do you guys think they were bluffing?
no bluff. I just don't think he's dumb enough to go there for a few million on the table. he's in a great situation right now to make a lot of money as well as being on a contender. I imagine this is all but a done deal.
i'm ready for a beer.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

vikeinmontana wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
no bluff. I just don't think he's dumb enough to go there for a few million on the table. he's in a great situation right now to make a lot of money as well as being on a contender. I imagine this is all but a done deal.
Maybe. Theres only about 2 teams worse then playing for the Jets in my book. And I dont mean teams I dont like, I mean teams that wont be going anywhere soon.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Let's goooooooo! I like Cousins for 28m/year vs Keenum for 20m/year. Now we just gotta hope he's more Drew Brees going to the Saints than he is Jay Cutler going to the Bears. I'm betting he's the former seeing that he seems to have a ton of fire and competitiveness in him.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

vikeinmontana wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
The fact that he's a) only visiting the Vikings, and b) isn't visiting until late Wednesday and into Thursday bodes well for us. They're just going to make sure he's a fit with the coaches and the coaches are a fit with him. Plus, he's going to tour the stadium and new TCO Performance Center, which are going to make Cousins salivate.

Looks like we've got our man under center.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Ovechkin8
Practice Squad

Post by Ovechkin8 »

TSonn wrote:Let's goooooooo! I like Cousins for 28m/year vs Keenum for 20m/year. Now we just gotta hope he's more Drew Brees going to the Saints than he is Jay Cutler going to the Bears. I'm betting he's the former seeing that he seems to have a ton of fire and competitiveness in him.
He's definitely far closer to Brees than Cutler. He's going to make Diggs and Theilen a lot more money in their next deals.

When he gets on fire its intense to watch. Dropping dimes everywhere downfield and you will feel he will never throw another incompletion.

One bad thing is he is AWFUL against the NY Giants for whatever reason. Good thing? He generally SMOKES the Eagles going back even in 2014 when he wasn't even a full time starter.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Now lets continue to stock up on OL and DL. Will be interesting to see what Murray does.