[Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: [Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Maelstrom88 wrote:
mondry wrote:After taking some time to think about the signing I have to say I'm not thrilled about it. Teddy, Sam, Cousins, Keenum, they're all some what similar in talent with keenum having the lowest ceiling so we essentially paid the most for the healthiest guy and given that it's the NFL and one good hit (or non contact in some cases..) can change all that it's hard for me to be excited.

With that said this was the safest route they could have gone at the most important position in sports so I don't blame them and I don't hate it. My main concern will be how he plays against elite defenses in the playoffs. Keenum had a strong regular season but I always knew he'd be a weakness in the playoffs. Cousins fumbles a lot and I can see the strip sack the eagles had on Keenum playing out again in that match up with Cousins.

Like I eluded to earlier I think Cousins ceiling is higher than Keenums but that's built into it when you look at the costs of each guys new contract. That means for me it's super bowl or bust cause we could already get to the NFCCG with Keenum at a cheaper price. The only reason to make a change like this is to get over the hump.
Respectfully disagree.Cousins decision making and accuracy are far better than Keenum imo. As for the fumbles..how about making sure your QB has his blindside protected?
Could also be pocket presence or not reading the blitz. And it's not like the Redskins OL was terrible in 2017. Even with all the injuries, he still had more time to throw than Case. They also had the #7 ranked OL in 2016 (11th in 2015). 31 fumbles in 3 years is concerning. But like Fiesta said, all these stats may not matter. It's a different team. Cousins may not feel the need to do too much and just tuck and take the sack. We'll soon find out.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Just watched the press conference. Very impressed by Cousins. Carried himself well.

I think I'm getting excited.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PhillyVike wrote:Cousins was a combined 48-of-78 passing (61.5 percent) for 589 yards with three passing touchdowns, an interception and passer rating of 92.3 against a stingy Vikings defense. He also scored two of the nine rushing touchdowns against Minnesota in 2017.

When you put it like that.... :shock:
Beat us in 2016
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Raptorman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
It's not. Rapapport just said he's making only $22 mill in 2018. So it must be back loaded
ugh. In that case, I hope they re-sign some of their own guys and front load those deals. I don't want to wind up in cap hell.
Cap hits by years. 2018 $24, 2019 $29 2020 $31.
Maybe this is because the Vikings are assuming the cap will increase every year?

As a percentage of the salary cap, Cousins’ contract certainly isn’t a killer or anything, I don’t think. If you use the base salary cap figure of $177 million for this season, Cousins accounts for approximately 13.6% of the team’s salary cap for this year. If you figure an increase of $10 million per season over the next two years, he will account for 15.5% of the Vikings’ salary cap in 2019 and 15.7% of the cap in 2020. Again, those are fairly high percentages, but not out of line with other quarterbacks throughout the league.
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/3/15 ... s-contract
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Watched Cousins' press conference today, and I have to say ... I'm impressed with the man. Really impressed.

This is a mature individual, obviously smart, extremely well-spoken. I love the fact that he didn't throw anyone under the bus from Washington, even though he could have. I also enjoyed how he talked about starting his research many weeks ago, and how the Vikings' culture really appealed to him. While the Vikings couldn't contact him, there was nothing to stop him from looking into the Vikings. Smart.

Obviously the tale will be finished by his work on the field. That's what really counts. But that was a good presser.

Welcome aboard, #8. Now get to work!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Watched Cousins' press conference today, and I have to say ... I'm impressed with the man. Really impressed.

This is a mature individual, obviously smart, extremely well-spoken. I love the fact that he didn't throw anyone under the bus from Washington, even though he could have. I also enjoyed how he talked about starting his research many weeks ago, and how the Vikings' culture really appealed to him. While the Vikings couldn't contact him, there was nothing to stop him from looking into the Vikings. Smart.

Obviously the tale will be finished by his work on the field. That's what really counts. But that was a good presser.

I also watched it and agree. He is very smart, organized, and well put together. Very proud to have him represent this franchise.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Watched Cousins' press conference today, and I have to say ... I'm impressed with the man. Really impressed.

Yeah I’ve been waiting for the presser all day. Seems like a great person and a great leader
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Yeah I’ve been waiting for the presser all day. Seems like a great person and a great leader
+1
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:
mondry wrote:After taking some time to think about the signing I have to say I'm not thrilled about it. Teddy, Sam, Cousins, Keenum, they're all some what similar in talent with keenum having the lowest ceiling so we essentially paid the most for the healthiest guy and given that it's the NFL and one good hit (or non contact in some cases..) can change all that it's hard for me to be excited.

With that said this was the safest route they could have gone at the most important position in sports so I don't blame them and I don't hate it. My main concern will be how he plays against elite defenses in the playoffs. Keenum had a strong regular season but I always knew he'd be a weakness in the playoffs. Cousins fumbles a lot and I can see the strip sack the eagles had on Keenum playing out again in that match up with Cousins.

Like I eluded to earlier I think Cousins ceiling is higher than Keenums but that's built into it when you look at the costs of each guys new contract. That means for me it's super bowl or bust cause we could already get to the NFCCG with Keenum at a cheaper price. The only reason to make a change like this is to get over the hump.
Respectfully disagree.Cousins decision making and accuracy are far better than Keenum imo. As for the fumbles..how about making sure your QB has his blindside protected?
Could also be pocket presence or not reading the blitz. And it's not like the Redskins OL was terrible in 2017. Even with all the injuries, he still had more time to throw than Case. They also had the #7 ranked OL in 2016 (11th in 2015). 31 fumbles in 3 years is concerning. But like Fiesta said, all these stats may not matter. It's a different team. Cousins may not feel the need to do too much and just tuck and take the sack. We'll soon find out.

Howdy, Skins fan here ( or former Skins fan, not sure yet) His O-line in 2017 was awful. The healthy starters made for a solid line. But none of them played. I've never seen an O-line decimated like that with injuries. They played I think 27 different line combinations through the season with many game guys signed off the street 3 days earlier. It was awful. Previous years the pass blocking was pretty good, run blocking terrible, for whatever reason.

The offense the last 3 years was all Kirk. All passing. No run game, no D. If he wasn't on fire, we didn't win. And of course if he didn't play lights out, it was all his fault. Not worth the money. Bruce Allen is an idiot. Dan Snyder a fanboy who owns a team. I'm seriously considering after 45 years of fandom, dyeing my Cousins jersey purple.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote:
Howdy, Skins fan here ( or former Skins fan, not sure yet) His O-line in 2017 was awful. The healthy starters made for a solid line. But none of them played. I've never seen an O-line decimated like that with injuries. They played I think 27 different line combinations through the season with many game guys signed off the street 3 days earlier. It was awful. Previous years the pass blocking was pretty good, run blocking terrible, for whatever reason.

The offense the last 3 years was all Kirk. All passing. No run game, no D. If he wasn't on fire, we didn't win. And of course if he didn't play lights out, it was all his fault. Not worth the money. Bruce Allen is an idiot. Dan Snyder a fanboy who owns a team. I'm seriously considering after 45 years of fandom, dyeing my Cousins jersey purple.
:lol: First of all, great user name lol. Second, we appreciate the feedback. Any Skins fan that has came on here has done nothing but rave over Cousins. I know I'm excited to have him. No offense but yes, your organization handled that situation poorly and provided very little help around him. Nor did they build a defense that could keep them in games. This is exactly why just looking at his record shows nothing. And it drives me nuts that it's all you see on espn and nfl network. Your ex GM, Charley Casserly said it perfectly. "Look at what was around him. Get some better players. Help the guy out". That was when Michael Irvin (one of the most clueless analysts out there) questioned the signing because of his record. There is so much more behind it than that. Banged up OL, no running game, no defense, limited WR production (this past year).

I follow the rest of the league just as much as I follow the Vikings. I've always thought he was a top 10 (maybe 8th-10th) QB in the NFL. I think he will really show it this year. It has showed in 3 years with the skins when you look at the numbers. But many just focus on.....record :confused:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Fat Stupid Loser wrote:

:lol: First of all, great user name lol. Second, we appreciate the feedback. Any Skins fan that has came on here has done nothing but rave over Cousins. I know I'm excited to have him. No offense but yes, your organization handled that situation poorly and provided very little help around him. Nor did they build a defense that could keep them in games. This is exactly why just looking at his record shows nothing. And it drives me nuts that it's all you see on espn and nfl network. Your ex GM, Charley Casserly said it perfectly. "Look at what was around him. Get some better players. Help the guy out". That was when Michael Irvin (one of the most clueless analysts out there) questioned the signing because of his record. There is so much more behind it than that. Banged up OL, no running game, no defense, limited WR production (this past year).

I follow the rest of the league just as much as I follow the Vikings. I've always thought he was a top 10 (maybe 8th-10th) QB in the NFL. I think he will really show it this year. It has showed in 3 years with the skins when you look at the numbers. But many just focus on.....record :confused:

I agree, I think he is an 8-10 guy. More importantly he has improved his game and weaknesses every single year. He will keep getting better. I really believe his career will be a Brees level QB. He is already almost that and has only been PLAYING 3 years.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

The offense the last 3 years was all Kirk. All passing. No run game, no D. If he wasn't on fire, we didn't win. And of course if he didn't play lights out, it was all his fault. Not worth the money. Bruce Allen is an idiot. Dan Snyder a fanboy who owns a team. I'm seriously considering after 45 years of fandom, dyeing my Cousins jersey purple.[/quote]

Thanks for all of your feedback. What was the deal with Cousin/Pryor? Was the chemistry bad or was Pryor just not as advertised? I'm curious if he would sign cheap to be our #3...
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

cmoss84 wrote:The offense the last 3 years was all Kirk. All passing. No run game, no D. If he wasn't on fire, we didn't win. And of course if he didn't play lights out, it was all his fault. Not worth the money. Bruce Allen is an idiot. Dan Snyder a fanboy who owns a team. I'm seriously considering after 45 years of fandom, dyeing my Cousins jersey purple.

Thanks for all of your feedback. What was the deal with Cousin/Pryor? Was the chemistry bad or was Pryor just not as advertised? I'm curious if he would sign cheap to be our #3...[/quote]

I would rather keep Treadwell than Pryor.... or give Coley a chance or just have it a open competition in camp best guy gets it.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

cmoss84 wrote:The offense the last 3 years was all Kirk. All passing. No run game, no D. If he wasn't on fire, we didn't win. And of course if he didn't play lights out, it was all his fault. Not worth the money. Bruce Allen is an idiot. Dan Snyder a fanboy who owns a team. I'm seriously considering after 45 years of fandom, dyeing my Cousins jersey purple.

Thanks for all of your feedback. What was the deal with Cousin/Pryor? Was the chemistry bad or was Pryor just not as advertised? I'm curious if he would sign cheap to be our #3...[/quote]

Pryor is a great athlete who doesn't know how to play WR. In fairness to him its his second year in his life of doing it. Gruden's offense is a West Coast timing offense and receivers have to be where they are supposed to be exactly when they are supposed to be there. Kirk is detail oriented to a fault at times, some would say. If he can't trust you to be there on time he is on to his next read. Pryor for all his ability just isn't good at that and it was his first year in that system. Not to mention dropped passes and killed drives when the ball hit him in the hands. 6M and the dude can't catch. Not sure how to explain his pretty good year in Cleveland other than if you throw to him 20 times a game and he manages to catch half of them, the numbers add up.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I watched the presser and I agree with others that posted that Cousins is a very impressive guy, not just because he was obviously prepared and well-spoken, but because he values winning over maximizing his paycheck, which is a rare thing in pro sports.

Man, I was excited about the team last year and that was with Case Keenum at QB and their best running back out for most of the year, but this year's team should be one of the top 3 teams out of the gate. Assuming Cook comes back completely healthy and Spielman finds a few more instant contributors/key depth in the draft, this year's Vikings team is stacking up to be their best overall team heading into a season since maybe 1998. They've got just about everything covered talent-wise.

Great time to be a Vikings fan!

:v): :v): :v):