2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mychal Kendricks officially visiting the Vikings. Doesn’t surprise me. This would be a great under the radar signing. I personally don’t see any way he doesn’t sign here given his brother just signed a huge extension. We’d have some solid depth at LB. Kendricks is similar to Barr IMO but a much better tackler
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Kendricks is currently visiting with us right now. Also has a visit with the raiders and browns but I doubt he leaves Minnesota and it doesn’t surprise me that it’s his first visit.

I mean you get to play with your brother, you’re on the #1 defense in the nfl, we are a super bowl contender, etc.

What do the browns and raiders have to offer?......

Put it in the books
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I just saw that too but how the hell do we afford him? 1-year deal?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I want to see the Kendricks brothers and Barr but I doubt that happens.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:16 pm I just saw that too but how the hell do we afford him? 1-year deal?
Yeah. Don't see it happening. There's no room for him in this lineup, unless they're shipping Barr somewhere.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:16 pm I just saw that too but how the hell do we afford him? 1-year deal?
I mean overthecap.com shows that we have $17 mill in cap space. I dont see any way we couldnt afford him
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:04 pm Yeah. Don't see it happening. There's no room for him in this lineup, unless they're shipping Barr somewhere.
If we are only going to sign him on a 1 year deal I dont see any way he wouldnt just replace Gedeon. Zimmer is known for moving guys around as well in sub packages. That's a possibility as well. Either way, we dont have a ton of depth there right now.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Surprisingly he just left without a contract and rotoworld says Eric was featured in the recruiting efforts. One of two things will happen, he either signs today or tomorrow before going on visits or ends up taking these visits. I guess I just dont see how he passes up a super bowl contending team that has his brother on it for a team like the Raiders or Browns.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I just looked and Kendricks was the #9 SLB according to PFF last year as well. Man signing him to an already loaded defense would just be the cherry on top. I can just about guarantee Zim will find a way to effectively use both Kendricks brothers and Barr as much as possible.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Chris Tomasson just reported that Kendricks said after his visit with the Vikings that it would be a "dream come true" and "awesome" to join his brother in Minnesota

Also reported by Tomasson: Kendricks said he doesnt believe the Vikings have made an offer yet.

When asked how hard Eric is recruiting him: "He's doing all that he can....He's let me know what the teams all about...but he knows in the end I'm going to make my decision based off the things that are presented to me".
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:22 am I mean overthecap.com shows that we have $17 mill in cap space. I dont see any way we couldnt afford him
For a year, assuming we don't extend anyone. That number doesn't factor in Hughes' contract either. Looking beyond that though, it gets messy. If we don't sign Diggs, our WR corp is basically Thielen, Treadwell and Coley. Wright and King are on 1-year deals. Everyone else is UDFA/bubble types. On DL both Hunter and Richardson are gone after this year, that's 50% of the line. On OL, Easton is gone after this year and so is Compton and Hill. That could very well be two starters. Murray is also going to be gone leaving only Cook in the backfield. And of course Barr.

Obviously we will resign at least a few of these guys but my point is we have a lot of guys on 1-year deals and not just backups. Adding another player to a 1-year deal doesn't make a whole lot of sense especially with the limited amount of time this defense plays base. Gedeon far exceeding expectations last year. He wasn't great but I think he was the #4 rated LB against the run for 4-3 LB's.

As mentioned, short of us saying we're moving on from Barr or Kendricks taking a hefty pay cut, this move doesn't make sense to me.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Just an insider report on Hill

He got treatment on his own and
has latched onto veterans and working
hard. The Vikings paid him 75 K in
Quaranteed money.

I am thinking we got a possible pro
bowler for almost nothing.

6'2 4.48 /40 time
Physical in man coverage
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:24 am If we are only going to sign him on a 1 year deal I dont see any way he wouldnt just replace Gedeon. Zimmer is known for moving guys around as well in sub packages. That's a possibility as well. Either way, we dont have a ton of depth there right now.
I don't think M. Kendricks is looking to play in special packages. I believe he wants to play every down.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I don't know how we have room for Kendricks, there is no way they give up on Gedeon he is our top performer on special teams. The only way is if they move Barr.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Norv Zimmer wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:12 pm I don't know how we have room for Kendricks, there is no way they give up on Gedeon he is our top performer on special teams. The only way is if they move Barr.
They wouldn’t give up on Gedeon. It’s just he wouldn’t start. Nobody said he would be cut
-Chazz Palminteri