2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

Post by mansquatch »

Resigning Forbath is far from the worst move they could have made at that position. I get wanting some fantastic talent like the guy the Rams have, but who of the Free Agent options available fits that mold? I can't think of any. Also, they could find some guy in the draft or scout someone up and bring him in to compete with Forbath well before September.

Worst case scenario: They run the 2018 campaign with Forbath who provided a lot of stability at a position that sorely lacked it the year before. IMO, the word adequate, which was used above, is a good one to describe Forbath. Beyond that, they still have the option of digging into the college pool and/or the draft to see if they can find someone better. Tossing a kicker isn't going to be a major salary cap issue.

IMO, the issues at Guard and the depth situations for the interior lines on both sides of the ball are of far greater importance.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

mansquatch wrote:Resigning Forbath is far from the worst move they could have made at that position. I get wanting some fantastic talent like the guy the Rams have, but who of the Free Agent options available fits that mold? I can't think of any. Also, they could find some guy in the draft or scout someone up and bring him in to compete with Forbath well before September.

Worst case scenario: They run the 2018 campaign with Forbath who provided a lot of stability at a position that sorely lacked it the year before. IMO, the word adequate, which was used above, is a good one to describe Forbath. Beyond that, they still have the option of digging into the college pool and/or the draft to see if they can find someone better. Tossing a kicker isn't going to be a major salary cap issue.

IMO, the issues at Guard and the depth situations for the interior lines on both sides of the ball are of far greater importance.
I agree that signing Forbath was not needed this early, bringing in some young competition via the draft or FA would have been good. But to say it is the worst move they could of made is kind of a stretch. It is also likely not too expensive, so it is not a big deal they could still bring in competition for him. We still are like 21 million under the cap this year, I am thinking they go heavy in the draft on OL and use the cap space to extend some players Diggs, Barr, Kendricks, Waynes, Hunter. I hope Billy Price is there at 30 and he starts day 1 next to Elflein. I have a thought in the back of my head that we will trade back into the 2nd to somebody who would like to move to 30 for the 5th year option on 1st rounders, like we did with Teddy.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Norv Zimmer wrote:
mansquatch wrote:Resigning Forbath is far from the worst move they could have made at that position. I get wanting some fantastic talent like the guy the Rams have, but who of the Free Agent options available fits that mold? I can't think of any. Also, they could find some guy in the draft or scout someone up and bring him in to compete with Forbath well before September.

I agree that signing Forbath was not needed this early, bringing in some young competition via the draft or FA would have been good. But to say it is the worst move they could of made is kind of a stretch. It is also likely not too expensive, so it is not a big deal they could still bring in competition for him. We still are like 21 million under the cap this year, I am thinking they go heavy in the draft on OL and use the cap space to extend some players Diggs, Barr, Kendricks, Waynes, Hunter. I hope Billy Price is there at 30 and he starts day 1 next to Elflein. I have a thought in the back of my head that we will trade back into the 2nd to somebody who would like to move to 30 for the 5th year option on 1st rounders, like we did with Teddy.
Exactly. Forbath is much better than Walsh. He's not the best kicker in the NFL but he's certainly not the worst.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Exactly. Forbath is much better than Walsh. He's not the best kicker in the NFL but he's certainly not the worst.
He's down there. He's below average on normal FGs and he's *terrible* on extra points (compared with the league, of course) - which is a significant amount of his kicks. Half of his kicks last year were XPs and hopefully that ratio trends more towards XPs next year as well.

Kicker is in need of significant improvement. Whether or not better options are there is up for debate but if we should be seeking improvement shouldn't be, I don't think.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Norv Zimmer wrote:

I said it was "far from the worst move".

I think we could improve at the position (we can at all positions...) and should look to do so, but if they go into the season with Forbath, it isn't the end of the world. They have more pressing needs than kicker IMO. OL is #1 right now and depth at OL / DL is probably #2. CB depth is probably next on the list, it was obvious in the playoffs that Newman is at the end. I still think there is a strong chance they'll go DL in the 1st round even though the needs at OG are probably greater with the signing of Richardson. They are more likely to get impact at that position in the first round.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Cliff wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:Exactly. Forbath is much better than Walsh. He's not the best kicker in the NFL but he's certainly not the worst.
He's down there. He's below average on normal FGs and he's *terrible* on extra points (compared with the league, of course) - which is a significant amount of his kicks. Half of his kicks last year were XPs and hopefully that ratio trends more towards XPs next year as well.

Kicker is in need of significant improvement. Whether or not better options are there is up for debate but if we should be seeking improvement shouldn't be, I don't think.
I mean he's 18th in FG%. Thats hovering around league average. Extra points I mentioned were not good. It's concerning but I feel a lot more comfortable with him than Walsh. We should definitely bring in competition but saying that it's a terrible move and so on given what is currently out there, is 100% false IMO
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Cliff wrote:

I mean he's 18th in FG%. Thats hovering around league average. Extra points I mentioned were not good. It's concerning but I feel a lot more comfortable with him than Walsh. We should definitely bring in competition but saying that it's a terrible move and so on given what is currently out there, is 100% false IMO
How many XPs did he miss after moving to the right hash? The final 8 weeks he only missed one. The final 5 he was perfect. I'm just wondering if the problem has been corrected.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

How many years did he sign for?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote:How many years did he sign for?

1 too many.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:
How many XPs did he miss after moving to the right hash? The final 8 weeks he only missed one. The final 5 he was perfect. I'm just wondering if the problem has been corrected.
Could be a possibility
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

1 year. No word on the money that I have seen
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Vikings signed OL Tom Compton, formerly of the Bears.

Compton started five games at guard last season for the Bears, and he has also made starts at tackle in his career. He should compete for a swing role in Minnesota.
Good depth signing
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:

1 too many.
Clearly you havent found a better kicker yet....
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vik ... Newsletter

Vikings to sign former Bears lineman, Tom Compton.

From the link:

"Compton started five games for the Bears last season at left and right guard and figures to be a player that can come in and give a spot start when need be. With the Vikings looking at potentially losing Jeremiah Sirles in free agency and Joe Berger to retirement, they were going to be searching for depth during the second wave of free agency as things cooled down from the big splashes to open the league year.

Compton, who is 28-years-old, is a Minnesota native who grew up in Rosemont and is an alum of South Dakota State University. He was a sixth round pick of the 2012 NFL Draft of the Washington Redskins, where he spent the first four seasons of his career. He spent the 2016 season with the Atlanta Falcons before signing with the Bears last year and he has appeared in 71 career games with 15 career starts."

Looks like a depth signing more than anything, but one that they need as it covers an area where they are thin on the roster. Hopefully Compton can be competitive in his role.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vik ... Newsletter

Vikings to sign former Bears lineman, Tom Compton.

From the link:

"Compton started five games for the Bears last season at left and right guard and figures to be a player that can come in and give a spot start when need be. With the Vikings looking at potentially losing Jeremiah Sirles in free agency and Joe Berger to retirement, they were going to be searching for depth during the second wave of free agency as things cooled down from the big splashes to open the league year.

Compton, who is 28-years-old, is a Minnesota native who grew up in Rosemont and is an alum of South Dakota State University. He was a sixth round pick of the 2012 NFL Draft of the Washington Redskins, where he spent the first four seasons of his career. He spent the 2016 season with the Atlanta Falcons before signing with the Bears last year and he has appeared in 71 career games with 15 career starts."

Looks like a depth signing more than anything, but one that they need as it covers an area where they are thin on the roster. Hopefully Compton can be competitive in his role.
^beat ya to it :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri