2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: 2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

Post by halfgiz »

Andrew Krammer
@Andrew_Krammer
40m
The #Vikings signed a defensive tackle... Dylan Bradley, who spent time on the practice squad last season.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

It looks like Richardson is STILL there. They are bringing him around the facilities
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

The Richardson signing was from a fake account. That has been confirmed. However he is still there and Cousins has joined in on the recruiting process and going around the facilities with him
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Richardson signs 1 year contract...per NFL network.

Andrew Krammer
@Andrew_Krammer
1m
#Vikings signed DT Sheldon Richardson
View details ·
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

halfgiz wrote:Richardson signs 1 year contract...per NFL network.

YEAH! I'd say we just had a great Free Agency!

Andrew Krammer
@Andrew_Krammer
1m
#Vikings signed DT Sheldon Richardson
View details ·
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

On one hand....yes!!! On the other, just one year?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:On one hand....yes!!! On the other, just one year?
Sheldon is probably thinking get on a top tier defense, make a big splash and get paid next year.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:
Sheldon is probably thinking get on a top tier defense, make a big splash and get paid next year.
Yeah, but not even a team option? I still think DT is a priority in the first three rounds. Could have a big hole in 2019.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'm thrilled its a one year deal. I wouldn't mind seeing them address G in a similar fashion. Another year to draft and let the young guys season without pulling too much cap space in 2019 and 2020.

If somebody else knows more about compensatory picks, they might be able to verify or contradict this, but I would think a guy like this could net us a pick if he signs a big contract in 2019?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:
S197 wrote:
Yeah, but not even a team option? I still think DT is a priority in the first three rounds. Could have a big hole in 2019.
It could get interesting if a guy like Bryan is around at the Vikings pick. Do you go Bryan and hope Price falls to the bottom of the 2nd? This is a weird year where guards are actually projecting higher than tackles. I don't know if that speaks to depth at the position or not.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote:
It could get interesting if a guy like Bryan is around at the Vikings pick. Do you go Bryan and hope Price falls to the bottom of the 2nd? This is a weird year where guards are actually projecting higher than tackles. I don't know if that speaks to depth at the position or not.
Pending what happens with Berger, I think the Vikings are in the enviable position of being able to draft a year in advance. They don't need to draft players for this year, they can draft for the needs they anticipate having next year. If they get good depth and contributions from those guys, all the better. I recall a lot of talk about the Eagles under Andy Reid being in this position during the span they kept making runs to the NFCCG.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Wright Released

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Is Tom Johnson a free agent?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Is Tom Johnson a free agent?

Yes. Visiting Seattle, actually.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Is Tom Johnson a free agent?

Rick mentioned that him and Stephens wouldn't be back.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Vikings Hit the Needs: Free Agency Grades

It is tough to say someone hit a home run in free agency. Nothing is clear until players step on the field. But on paper, it seems Rick Spielman and the Vikings absolutely knocked this last week out of the park.

The home stretch of the 2018 season exposed the glaring needs of the Vikings’ roster. They lacked pass rush depth, consistent offensive line play and a quarterback who could make plays when nothing was working. Though they missed on the hotter free agent offensive linemen, at least for the time being, Minnesota nabbed the biggest names on the market at each of their other two needs.

Plus, with such a deep offensive line draft approaching, there is a high likelihood of finding at least one, maybe two immediate starters who are rookies. The same cannot be said for quarterbacks or defensive linemen, at least at the position where the Vikings draft.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014