Zim on Hot Seat?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Zim on Hot Seat?

Post by PhillyVike »

Zim is a guy who puts it on his sleeve. And that's partially why we love him - he's honest. It does however, make him an easy read.

Do these comments stick out to you all as new?

Does it seem that internally it's a make it or break it season for Zimmer and that DeFilippo is his chosen successor should he fail?

I was listening to all the new content on the Vikings site and my head snapped after one or two of the below comments. I didn't think he was at risk after having improved this team every year he's been in MN. Or is this perhaps, just Rick 'adding competition', like we would at almost any position on our team.

Zimmer w/PA at Scouting Combine

12:56 - When asked about DeFilippo, Zim is hesitant to say much about him
18:30 - "Once I get fired"
19:19 - Asked again about DeFilippo, his body languages changes and he avoids talking about DeFilippo in his response.

Zimmer Press Conference at Scouting Combine

2:54 - If he doesn't get the QB situation right then he'll probably get fired
6:12 - Side note this is our priority list (note he's not even prioritizing our biggest priority which is QB)
7:52 - Another reference to being fired
9:30 - Asked about DeFilipo's role in finding a QB, then puts an emphasis on a collective decision
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: Zim on Hot Seat?

Post by TSonn »

He often speaks from the gut which most fans like (he's seemingly transparent with the exception of talking about injuries). I don't think he's really on the hot seat but his playoff defense and overall playoff record does give some concern.

I just think he's the type of guy who always operates under the assumption that he could be fired at any point, no matter how great his last game/year was. Probably uses it as motivation.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PhillyVike wrote:Zim is a guy who puts it on his sleeve. And that's partially why we love him - he's honest. It does however, make him an easy read.

Does it seem that internally it's a make it or break it season for Zimmer and that DeFilippo is his chosen successor should he fail?

I was listening to all the new content on the Vikings site and my head snapped after one or two of the below comments. I didn't think he was at risk after having improved this team every year he's been in MN. Or is this perhaps, just Rick 'adding competition', like we would at almost any position on our team.

19:19 - Asked again about DeFilippo, his body languages changes and he avoids talking about DeFilippo in his response.

6:12 - Side note this is our priority list (note he's not even prioritizing our biggest priority which is QB)
9:30 - Asked about DeFilipo's role in finding a QB, then puts an emphasis on a collective decision
If he doesnt get the QB situation right, its more of a threat to Rick and DeFili then Zim. The more blogs and stories I read, people are saying do not sink the ship going after Cousin. Have a number ready for Case below 23 mil and work with it. Cousins just isnt a proven commodity in the big games to demand the type of money he will get. And I bet he will from the Jets or Broncos. Its also going to be really interesting wo are backup is going to be, Slotter just doesnt seem to cut it, hardly any college experience and no NFL. Thats why its so important to have a number you wont pass when it comes to Cousins.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PhillyVike wrote:Zim is a guy who puts it on his sleeve. And that's partially why we love him - he's honest. It does however, make him an easy read.

Interesting.

The thread title struck me as exaggerated and I was ready for some wild speculation. Instead, I see some carefully documented evidence. I don't have time to go to the sources now, but I did read the story in the STRIB where he mentions the weight of getting the QB decision right, and that he could get fired if he makes a mess of it.

My instinct is that this is just really on his mind--that he has to get it right.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I don't see this as anything more than holding himself accountable, which he's always done. One of the reasons I never got the whole "he throws players under the bus" belief.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I would say yes, he should be on the hot seat. If there is no postseason next season, I don't care what ghetto reason, he needs to go. If he gets embarrassed in the postseason like he did this year, He needs to go.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think he's stating the obvious, really. If he can't get QB right then the team won't be able to consistently win games. If the team can't consistently win games then he'll be fired.
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

Cliff wrote:I think he's stating the obvious, really. If he can't get QB right then the team won't be able to consistently win games. If the team can't consistently win games then he'll be fired.
Yup. Which can be said about every head coach, ever.
PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

I may be reading too far into the comments but it just seemed like Zim was always much more verbally supportive of his offensive coordinators in these pressers than he is now. Or I'm just hyper sensitive to any new Vikings news right now because I'm refreshing 4 web pages 1,000 times a day in anticipation for news of who our QB is going to be :x

On a positive note Stacy Dales sure did have good things to say about the Vikings Culture.

Edit: Vid Link won't link for some reason - check out Stacy Dales interview @ vikings.com if interested
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Cliff wrote:I think he's stating the obvious, really. If he can't get QB right then the team won't be able to consistently win games. If the team can't consistently win games then he'll be fired.

Exactly. This is why it is a good idea to take a break from the NFL until the league new year starts. Rampant speculation with ZERO confirmation. After the first blast of FA take another break until the Draft. After that weekend take a really LONG break, maybe come back for OTAs, but don't even think about it until Training Camp starts.

Just because the NFL wants a 365 day news cycle doesn't mean there are 365 days worth of things to report. We are in the time of the season where the media will try to stir the pot just so they can talk about football. Don't take the bait!
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

mansquatch wrote:

Exactly. This is why it is a good idea to take a break from the NFL until the league new year starts. Rampant speculation with ZERO confirmation. After the first blast of FA take another break until the Draft. After that weekend take a really LONG break, maybe come back for OTAs, but don't even think about it until Training Camp starts.

Just because the NFL wants a 365 day news cycle doesn't mean there are 365 days worth of things to report. We are in the time of the season where the media will try to stir the pot just so they can talk about football. Don't take the bait!
Did you all hear that Mike Zimmer cleaned his bathroom today? More tonight in an interview with Deion Sanders!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Holy. Tied for best record in the NFL with a backup QB, Won the North twice in 4 years, would have taken this team to the playoffs 3 years in a row if not for the multiple injuries on the Oline in 2016, and on the hot seat?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Has any other playoff team in recent history been as brutally embarrassed in a game they were favored to win as we were at the NFCCG?

The only one that comes to mind is Super Bowl XLVIII - Seahawks 43 - 8 Broncos.
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

720pete wrote:Has any other playoff team in recent history been as brutally embarrassed in a game they were favored to win as we were at the NFCCG?

The only one that comes to mind is Super Bowl XLVIII - Seahawks 43 - 8 Broncos.

It wasn't recent, but Min v. NYG 2000
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

At least Zimmer is self aware, because what he said is exactly right if they get the wrong QB it will cost him his job. Well, it is OBVIOUS who his choice is and that is Teddy. It is plainly obvious he has loved him from day one (for what reason I'll never know). He has been a horrible quarterback at best.