Time to move on from Waynes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Time to move on from Waynes

Post by YikesVikes »

I have been championing the Vikes moving on from Waynes a long time. His instincts are horrible, his play speed is terrible and he is easily beaten. I think he has tons of natural talent that he simply doesn't use. I do not believe that he has the heart to be a starter for this team and until we move on from him, he's going to continue to get beat like a rug in a preschool snack area (dirty). He's under contract but this team needs to make a run at a corner to stabilize that left side. We have a huge need at NT and I would like us to go after WIll Hernandez (OG UTEP) in the draft but.... I can't tak another season of him getting beat, the WR dropping the ball and him celebrating like he made the play.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Re: Time to move on from Waynes

Post by UKno1VIKING »

He started off slow this season again, and i was ready for us to move away. But to be honest, i thought he was very solid towards the end of the season and the saints game (no one was good in the eagles game).
He used to drive me crazy, when he kept his eyes on the player and kept drawing PI calls. But he's learnt to get his head round. And especially for the Saints game, when Rhodes was throwing his weekly tantrum, i was hoping Zim would of made the adjustment and put Trae on Thomas. As Rhodes couldn't keep up with Thomas.
I was a big critic before, and it's taken him a while, but I think i'm slowly becoming a believer. I believe we could possibly have one of the best CB tandems in the game on our hands.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote:I have been championing the Vikes moving on from Waynes a long time. His instincts are horrible, his play speed is terrible and he is easily beaten. I think he has tons of natural talent that he simply doesn't use. I do not believe that he has the heart to be a starter for this team and until we move on from him, he's going to continue to get beat like a rug in a preschool snack area (dirty). He's under contract but this team needs to make a run at a corner to stabilize that left side. We have a huge need at NT and I would like us to go after WIll Hernandez (OG UTEP) in the draft but.... I can't tak another season of him getting beat, the WR dropping the ball and him celebrating like he made the play.
Dude what are you talking about? He made giant improvements this year and was unreal in run defense. He barely gave up anything the last half of the year. Rhodes was getting beat more than he was. We do not need to make a “run at corner”. We have two very good starters.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
peemypurplepants
Waterboy

Post by peemypurplepants »

Waynes should not be the focus of our disappointment. Yes he had his ups and downs but basically every corner does. This is a passing league and just look at the stats across the NFL. If every team got rid of DB's that gave up plays there wouldn't be any DB's in the NFL!! He played fine on one of the best defenses in the NFL and there was talk during the games that the vikes had one of the best CB tandems in the league. The vikes need to improve their pass rush, once that happens the DB's will look even better.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Where is the head-slap emoji.

Never mind. I'll use this one. :wallbang:

Waynes finished the season with a PFF grade of 79.1, which is 9th best in the NFL.

Give it a rest.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

What Trae Waynes have you been watching? Between he and Sendejo, I am not sure who improved more.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Where is the head-slap emoji.

Waynes finished the season with a PFF grade of 79.1, which is 9th best in the NFL.

Give it a rest.
I was curious as to what his PFF grade was. Thank you for that stat Kapp
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:What Trae Waynes have you been watching? Between he and Sendejo, I am not sure who improved more.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Exactly. Both made giant leaps this year. Waynes run defense reminds me a lot of Winfield. But like I said above, his coverage was probably better than Rhodes the last half of the year. And yeah Waynes got beat a few times in the Eagles game but so did Harrison Smith, so did Newman, Rhodes play was up and down. So really, that cant be used as an excuse in this. Trae Waynes is a very good #2 CB. One of the better ones in the league right now
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think he started typing out this post in week 1 and just now finished.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Where is the head-slap emoji.

Give it a rest.
Umm yeah, did the OP watch any of the games?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Wayne's is probably one of the better tacklers on our team. He had a solid second half of the season.
He didn't have a great game against the Eagles...but most of the defense didn't have a great game.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Cliff wrote:I think he started typing out this post in week 1 and just now finished.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri
PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

I thought Waynes took the next step forward in 2017 and he'll have a chance to make another leap in 2018 seeing as it's the final year of his rookie contract (unless we pick up his 5th year option).

PFF grades

2015 - 72.6
2016 - 59.9 (Substantial drop but this is where Rhodes really broke to the rest of the world as a shut down corner and Waynes started getting picked on because QB's would avoid Rhodes)
2017 - 74.2

For comparison sake here is Rhodes PFF grades over his career

2013 - 78
2014 - 83.4
2015 - 65.6
2016 - 78.6
2017 - 81.1

In coverage for corners with 1,000 or more snaps this season he ranks very very similar to Trumaine Johnson of LAR. In fact here is a side by side between Waynes and Johnson.

Overall Grade
Waynes - 74.2
Johnson - 74.2

Coverage and snaps
Waynes - 71.2 - 667
Johnson - 75.4 - 645

Run Def and snaps
Waynes - 84.9 - 377
Johnson - 77.5 - 360

2017 Cap Number
Trumaine Johnson - $16,742,400 (Contract year)
Trae Waynes - $3,530,281 (not a contract year)

Only 26 CB's had 1,000 or more snaps - Rhodes and Waynes both included in that 26

I'd say we had tremendous value with Waynes this year and I believe he still has capacity for improvement and he is in the perfect situation to develop into a stud opposite Rhodes.

We do however, need to figure out our slot corner situation

Newman played lights out for his age and position but at some point we need a replacement and Mack Alexander has one of the worst PFF overall and coverage ratings - luckily, if in a bind, I think we can find that in free agency and it won't cost $16 million against the cap. Hopefully Mack can make a leap in 2018.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PhillyVike wrote:I thought Waynes took the next step forward in 2017 and he'll have a chance to make another leap in 2018 seeing as it's the final year of his rookie contract (unless we pick up his 5th year option).

PFF grades

2015 - 72.6
2016 - 59.9 (Substantial drop but this is where Rhodes really broke to the rest of the world as a shut down corner and Waynes started getting picked on because QB's would avoid Rhodes)
2017 - 74.2

For comparison sake here is Rhodes PFF grades over his career

2013 - 78
2014 - 83.4
2015 - 65.6
2016 - 78.6
2017 - 81.1

In coverage for corners with 1,000 or more snaps this season he ranks very very similar to Trumaine Johnson of LAR. In fact here is a side by side between Waynes and Johnson.

Overall Grade
Waynes - 74.2
Johnson - 74.2

Coverage and snaps
Waynes - 71.2 - 667
Johnson - 75.4 - 645

Run Def and snaps
Waynes - 84.9 - 377
Johnson - 77.5 - 360

2017 Cap Number
Trumaine Johnson - $16,742,400 (Contract year)
Trae Waynes - $3,530,281 (not a contract year)

Only 26 CB's had 1,000 or more snaps - Rhodes and Waynes both included in that 26

I'd say we had tremendous value with Waynes this year and I believe he still has capacity for improvement and he is in the perfect situation to develop into a stud opposite Rhodes.

We do however, need to figure out our slot corner situation

Newman played lights out for his age and position but at some point we need a replacement and Mack Alexander has one of the worst PFF overall and coverage ratings - luckily, if in a bind, I think we can find that in free agency and it won't cost $16 million against the cap. Hopefully Mack can make a leap in 2018.
Good post!
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Did you mean Alexander? Because I'd say is the most improved player on the team. He has been good against the run since he started playing, and now he is good in coverage. We may have to move on from Newman and thats going to suck.