New OC Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: New OC Thread

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Slick Rick wrote:
PhillyVike wrote:Sounds like we're stacking the QB solutions brain trust/think tank and potentially preparing for DeFilipo's exit as someone's hc next year. I might be reading too far into that last thought. I like what Spielman is doing. Get all the best opinions on QB's in one room and lets figure this thing out.
If we advance far into the postseason and our offense looks on-time and in-tune all year, I would almost say it's a virtual certainty that he's hired as someone else's HC for the 2019-20 season. If that's the case, I think Stefanski or Downing could step up to fill that role. Obviously since he's been around longer and knows the offense more, Stefanski is probably going to be the one who's promoted. Still, he could join Shurmur in New York next year, and it's good that we're preparing by adding all of these established coaches to our staff this year.
Doesnt it seem like since the Wilfes took over, that we are losing so many good coaches to other teams? I know its hard for then to pass up on a chance to be HC, but maybe the Wilfes could offer a little more incentive to stay around a few years here. It sure get annoying after liking the coaches and seeing things improve, just to start over again. Notice no one took Norv right away. That guy was a mistake from the start. Wish the Bear, Packers or Lions liked him a lot.

I think that is simply a reflection of the recent success they've had in hiring coaches that have good reputations and thus become top candidates elsewhere in the league. There isn't much they could do, IMO. The appeal to become a head coach is too great.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Agreed, and you'd be silly to offer crazy money for an offensive coordinator anyways even if you were to outspend the other team's HC offer. Really, the only team that seems to retain their coordinators is the Patriots, and you can probably guess why.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Slick Rick wrote:
PhillyVike wrote:Sounds like we're stacking the QB solutions brain trust/think tank and potentially preparing for DeFilipo's exit as someone's hc next year. I might be reading too far into that last thought. I like what Spielman is doing. Get all the best opinions on QB's in one room and lets figure this thing out.
If we advance far into the postseason and our offense looks on-time and in-tune all year, I would almost say it's a virtual certainty that he's hired as someone else's HC for the 2019-20 season. If that's the case, I think Stefanski or Downing could step up to fill that role. Obviously since he's been around longer and knows the offense more, Stefanski is probably going to be the one who's promoted. Still, he could join Shurmur in New York next year, and it's good that we're preparing by adding all of these established coaches to our staff this year.
Doesnt it seem like since the Wilfes took over, that we are losing so many good coaches to other teams? I know its hard for then to pass up on a chance to be HC, but maybe the Wilfes could offer a little more incentive to stay around a few years here. It sure get annoying after liking the coaches and seeing things improve, just to start over again. Notice no one took Norv right away. That guy was a mistake from the start. Wish the Bear, Packers or Lions liked him a lot.
The only name that really sticks out in my mind is Tomlin. Maybe a guy like Bevell. Who are you talking about specifically?
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote:
The only name that really sticks out in my mind is Tomlin. Maybe a guy like Bevell. Who are you talking about specifically?
I assumed he meant Tomlin and Shurmer.