Vikes Fans Flooding Saints P Morstead's Foundation with $$$

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rieux
Franchise Player

Vikes Fans Flooding Saints P Morstead's Foundation with $$$

Post by Rieux »

This is a very nice story:
Saints punter Thomas Morstead was the first Saints player to come back to the field for the point after touchdown, even though he was in extreme pain from tearing cartilage on his rib cage from an earlier tackle on Vikings return man Marcus Sherels after his first punt of the game.

"I didn’t really think twice about it,” said Morstead. “I don’t feel like I was sitting on some moral high ground or did something exceptional, they needed 11 guys so I went out and that was it.”

Soon, a Vikings fan posted to Reddit, encouraging other fans impressed by Morstead’s sportsmanship to give to Morstead's foundation, What You Give Will Grow. His charity is focused on pediatric cancer and boosting Child Life departments at pediatric hospitals, inspired by Morstead’s close friend who battled cancer.

As of Wednesday morning, more than 300 Vikings fans gave more than $27,000, but what no fan expected, Morstead would punt donations right back to Minnesota, giving to the Children's Minnesota Child Life division.

Morstead tweeted that if donations hit $100,000, he'll fly back to Minneapolis to personally deliver the check.
I think the Minnesota angle is a little unnecessary—I just kicked(*) in some dough to Morstead's foundation, and I would have been perfectly happy if it benefited needy kids in Louisiana hospitals. But whatever; this is a good story that reflects well on Morstead, Minnesota, and Vikings fans.

Anyone else on VMB want to join me? The foundation is currently accepting donations here, and as I post this they've reached $34,414 of their $100,000 goal for Minnesota donations.

(* Hey—I just saw what I did there.)
Last edited by Rieux on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Vikes Fans Flooding Saints P Morstead's Foundation with

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I just read the same article. Thus is awesome. I am happy minnesota fans are helping his cause.
Also, i gained a lot of respect for him that game. He played obviously hutlrt (and punted quite well) and he was the first one on the field when they needed players. He is a true sportsman.
Also, did anyone else notice Quigley was on the field for that play too? Both punters on the field at the same time.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CrunkDat
Practice Squad

Post by CrunkDat »

That is awesome for your fans to do that. Morstead is a fan favorite and is very active in the community. New Orleans has a ton, please don't dissect my loose usage of that term, but they have a ton of parades. He often posts pics on social media of him out in the community at the parades and on the floats.

I saw his post game interview and he said the pain was much more tolerable in the 2nd half once the shots set in. At least it wasn't so painful to breathe. My favorite quote was something like, 'I just figured I could either have a good punt or a bad punt, either way it was going to hurt like hell so I might as well make it a good one.'
Rieux
Franchise Player

Post by Rieux »

CrunkDat wrote:New Orleans has a ton, please don't dissect my loose usage of that term, but they have a ton of parades.
Ha! Gotcha. Touché.

:pour:
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Looks like he got 100k. Im liking this new fad when fans from one team donates to players from other teams charities.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

It's like $134K now, and I just donated.

I think these donations have a different feel than the others going around. Most of the others are kind of a hate-love donation. Bills fans donate to Dalton because they wanted the Ravens to lose. Bengals fans donated to Bortles charity for taking out the Steelers, who they hate. Vikings fans are donating to Morstead out of respect for the guy's play and courage, and his respect for our team by coming out for the extra point. It's another reason why, for me, it's easy to be a fan of this team, and a fan of this team's fans.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

John_Viveiros wrote:It's like $134K now, and I just donated.

I think these donations have a different feel than the others going around. Most of the others are kind of a hate-love donation. Bills fans donate to Dalton because they wanted the Ravens to lose. Bengals fans donated to Bortles charity for taking out the Steelers, who they hate. Vikings fans are donating to Morstead out of respect for the guy's play and courage, and his respect for our team by coming out for the extra point. It's another reason why, for me, it's easy to be a fan of this team, and a fan of this team's fans.
I agree. There are some ####, but I rarely meet a Viking fan who is a ####.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
John_Viveiros wrote:It's like $134K now, and I just donated.

I agree. There are some ####, but I rarely meet a Viking fan who is a ####.

I've started going to other forums to put together the "Enemy Fan Forum" posts and trust me, they're out there.