proper celebration

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Spiny Norman
Practice Squad

proper celebration

Post by Spiny Norman »

Miracles demand suitable and solemn observance. Rarity does not preclude possibility, but the more rare, the grander the appreciation. A miracle has to be acknowledged if one sits down next to you, and the fatter the chance, the more you must bring to the feast-day.

Last time the Vikings hit the SB was the '76 season.

Opening week 1976 in the Superdome, there were plenty of Vikings who had damned good reasons to be angry. The '75 Vikes were perhaps the strongest team ever to wear the colors. Cruising to their fourth SB (would be a third in a row), but something happened to the '75 Vikes in the playoffs: the Hail Mary play.

So in their very next game, in Sept of 1976, the Minnesota Vikings made sure that "something happened" to the New Orleans Saints. It wasn't just anger, not simply desire to avenge, it was an all-encompassing lava flow of rage, directed at a mountaintop which was in plain sight all year, and if they couldn't scale it then they were damn sure gonna burn it down.

The Saints were just unlucky to be first in line. A 47 yard TD strike from Tarkenton to Sammy White sealed it at the end... of the first half. 2 TDs for Chuck, 2 TDs for McClanahan, outgaining New Orleans 449 yards to 132 on the way to the true 'statement win' of 40-9.

Minnyhota only lost two games in the '76 season, by a combined total of 5 points. They won the NFC and got to the SB, but that's as far as we got for 41 years now. Forty one years since we won an NFC title game.

Since 1976.

Not to be morbid, but when Carson Wentz dropped, i said "hey, i think we're going to the SB this year." Already had a feeling about this season, and suddenly a miracle dropped down beside me tonight.

But then i thought about 43 minutes of shutout against the Saints, and miracles look all the more possible, when you do the legwork ahead of time. Of the final 4 in the NFC, the Falcons and Saints looked most hot-handed. Now they're both gone.

So i've been sitting on this little tart for a while, and fitting occasion is finally here. 41 years since a Viking SB, the very same 41 years this girl has been slumbering in barrels and bottles, it's a 1976 cognac, single cru, and she's not a cheap date. When the Vikes were burning the Saints to the ground in Sept 1976, this drink was fresh grapes sunning themselves on the vine.

Had thought to save it before cracking her open, until the Vikes made their next SB since 1976, and tonight's miracle is only a first step. But a miracle is a miracle, after all. It makes future miracles more possible, and makes regular success doubly likely.

What does it taste like? Today it tastes like victory, it tastes floral like a burnt saint. Tastes like she's been waiting for me. Will have another snifter if we trounce Philadelphia on Sunday, and if we win it all, this long-suffering bottle will go to her rest.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: proper celebration

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Brilliant & Succinct.
Also graceful.
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Great read! I wish I could enjoy that bottle with you!
Damian
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

Ummm. Sorry Pleb here, not getting all the high class references, but drinking really old wine is a good thing right? Hope you enjoy it my friend.

I'm heading for the local massage parlor, someone is getting a nice happy ending tip today.
Spiny Norman
Practice Squad

Post by Spiny Norman »

Dames wrote:Great read! I wish I could enjoy that bottle with you!
:pour: Happy to share, c'mon over I'm in Rochester... but not the one in MN unfortunately. Wish I was, reading people's reports of the atmo in M/SP last night was great, the fan reaction vids on youtube also made my eyes wet, all over again!