Divisional Round Game Thread: Vikes-Saints

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Divisional Round Game Thread: Vikes-Saints

Post by halfgiz »

OMG :govikes:
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

ThePiper wrote:What is Diggs doing? :rofl:

Whatever the hell he wants right now lol. I bet he could get away with punching a cop in the fa e. "I know thats assault but i wont tell if you wont" lol
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Case may get the franchise tag with this win. He has to stop throwing the ball up for grabs, and maybe put the ball closer to the receivers so they dont have to make amazing catches, but it is kind of their job to make those catches. I hope the coach let Case make more audibles and throw it deeper a few times, then they did with Teddy. They kind of keep both QBs on a leash. Even if we lose next week, Case is our best option. Let someone else pay to watch Sam get hurt again. I think Case can demand big money from other teams next year.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I was at a bar not even in Minnesota watching this game and everyone went absolutely crazy everyone was aVikings fan in that moment. That has to be probably the best game I've ever seen in my life I was looking around like why is he not getting out of bounds so we can kick a field goal and then I realized the saints were stupid enough to not have anybody behind that guy at the end zone.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

indianation65 wrote:Good or bad, I did miss the last 6 minutes.

I couldn't take it. I was having a heart attack.

I left at 20-14 right after the field goal, and drove around.

I had a buddy call to tell me what happened when it was over!

Vikes!

...wisdom
I know the exact feeling.....when the Viks got the ball for the last drive I went to the car to take my son back to his mothers. Sat there and thought about another wasted season. My son wanted to see the end.....I just couldn't bear to watch. Then he came to the door jumping up and down and said you have to see this we just won!!!!!! I was like no way. Unbelievable.
tzinc
Backup

Post by tzinc »

this is the kind of game the Vikes usually lose

had a big lead
suddenly went cold on o and d
then got the fg but because of earlier screwups and some bad officiating a fg could beat them
they left too much time on the clock (sound familiar?)
I kept watching til the end because I know this is what always happens how they always lose so typical

and then OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spiny Norman
Practice Squad

Post by Spiny Norman »

Important thing to recognize is that Marcus Williams of the Saints did nothing wrong. To the untrained eye, it might look like his coverage gave up a TD, an easy scapegoat for anyone gullible enough to believe in such a creature's existence. But this was no fault of Marcus Williams, rather it was a flawed gametime understanding of the Saints coaching staff. The easy calculation is that keeping a ball carrier inbounds with only a few seconds left (bereft of timeouts) would eliminate any possible field goal.

So Williams tried to hip-check Stephon Diggs back into the field of play, in a manner which would completely remove any chance of a pass-interference flag. It was a very smart football move by Marcus Williams. But he had been trained by a coaching staff with an incomplete vision of the (admittedly rare) situation at hand.

Think about it, there are only three outcomes for a ball carrier in a live play, whether it's a running back or a receiver after a catch.

A: he gets tackled
B: he leaves the field of play via sideline
C: he leaves the field of play via a goal-line

At that 10-second mark, the Saints coaches were fixated on a single possibility, a catch in FG range then out of bounds with time left on the clock. And that's all the Vikes were trying to do, if we're being honest here. But somewhere in the communication chain, the Saints coaches failed to remind their players that if they take away the sideline (which they succeeded in doing), then a ball carrier must either be tackled or must cross a goal-line to end the play. Mister Diggs chose the latter.

No fault of Marcus Williams, he did his job perfectly, as it was described to him. No DPI, he kept the WR inside. The only lapse in the Saints on that final play was obsession over the side-line and forgetting about the goal-line. That is a failure in the coaching braintrust, not in the ability of the players.

So now let's crush the Eagles.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Spiny Norman wrote:Important thing to recognize is that Marcus Williams of the Saints did nothing wrong. To the untrained eye, it might look like his coverage gave up a TD, an easy scapegoat for anyone gullible enough to believe in such a creature's existence. But this was no fault of Marcus Williams, rather it was a flawed gametime understanding of the Saints coaching staff. The easy calculation is that keeping a ball carrier inbounds with only a few seconds left (bereft of timeouts) would eliminate any possible field goal.

So Williams tried to hip-check Stephon Diggs back into the field of play, in a manner which would completely remove any chance of a pass-interference flag. It was a very smart football move by Marcus Williams. But he had been trained by a coaching staff with an incomplete vision of the (admittedly rare) situation at hand.

Think about it, there are only three outcomes for a ball carrier in a live play, whether it's a running back or a receiver after a catch.

At that 10-second mark, the Saints coaches were fixated on a single possibility, a catch in FG range then out of bounds with time left on the clock. And that's all the Vikes were trying to do, if we're being honest here. But somewhere in the communication chain, the Saints coaches failed to remind their players that if they take away the sideline (which they succeeded in doing), then a ball carrier must either be tackled or must cross a goal-line to end the play. Mister Diggs chose the latter.

No fault of Marcus Williams, he did his job perfectly, as it was described to him. No DPI, he kept the WR inside. The only lapse in the Saints on that final play was obsession over the side-line and forgetting about the goal-line. That is a failure in the coaching braintrust, not in the ability of the players.

I agree 100%. The only thing I would say he could have done differently tly is his timing. He was there early.
Also, why were no Saints deeper than that? How was no one guarding the goal line?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Spiny Norman
Practice Squad

Post by Spiny Norman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I agree 100%. The only thing I would say he could have done differently is his timing. He was there early. Also, why were no Saints deeper than that? How was no one guarding the goal line?
That's the point, they were fixated on the sideline (as were the Vikes) and completely disregarded the possibility of a ball carrier exiting the field of play via the goal-line. Even though the invention of the forward pass makes the game appear 3-dimensional, it's still really a 2-D field of play. The Saints just got wrapped up in defending one side-to-side dimension and neglected the forward-back dimension. Yes, they anticipated what the Vikes wanted to do on the sideline and defended it very well. They simply didn't take into account the possibility of a WR, in that sitch, actually wanting to stay inbounds.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Spiny Norman wrote:Important thing to recognize is that Marcus Williams of the Saints did nothing wrong. To the untrained eye, it might look like his coverage gave up a TD, an easy scapegoat for anyone gullible enough to believe in such a creature's existence. But this was no fault of Marcus Williams, rather it was a flawed gametime understanding of the Saints coaching staff. The easy calculation is that keeping a ball carrier inbounds with only a few seconds left (bereft of timeouts) would eliminate any possible field goal.

I have to disagree with you. Williams handled that play completely wrong. There was nothing smart at all about what he did. In that situation, his goal should have been to use fundamental tackling technique to wrap up Diggs with his arms. That would not only have prevented Diggs from getting away for a winning TD it would have given Williams the best chance to keep Diggs in-bounds. A hip-check shouldn't even be a consideration. That's not a smart way to tackle or play football and I seriously doubt his coaches advised anything of the sort.
I'm with you 100% on this point!
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Mothman wrote: In that situation, his goal should have been to use fundamental tackling technique to wrap up Diggs with his arms. That would not only have prevented Diggs from getting away for a winning TD it would have given Williams the best chance to keep Diggs in-bounds. A hip-check shouldn't even be a consideration. That's not a smart way to tackle or play football and I seriously doubt his coaches advised anything of the sort.
I heard somewhere that the Saints coaches were probably telling their young team on that last drive to not commit any DPI or personal foul penalties. I think this played a huge role in what happened on Williams tackle attempt. Case was even asked about it after the game and Case said part of what he was thinking (or hoping for) on that throw was some sort of interference call to get them in range and another play.

Once Williams knew he was too early for the hit/tackle, he didn't use his arms in an attempt to avoid DPI which caused him to whiff entirely and actually knock out his other defender.

I feel for the guy - can't imagine all the different thoughts going through his head as he closed out to try to make that tackle...
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Now that the euphoria has worn off a little, I was really disappointed in our clock management leading up to Kai's final field goal. There was hardly any attempt to run the clock down and keep Brees off the field once we got in range. Rudolph made a catch in bounds a seemed to purposely run out of bounds to stop the clock. We called a bunch of plays with difficult passes ending in incompletions which stopped the clock. With better clock management we could have given Brees little to no time left to march down the field.

Although, without this bad clock management we wouldn't have the Minneapolis Miracle - so it all works out. Just hope Zimmer/Shurmur can learn from that mistake in the future.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

TSonn wrote: I heard somewhere that the Saints coaches were probably telling their young team on that last drive to not commit any DPI or personal foul penalties. I think this played a huge role in what happened on Williams tackle attempt. Case was even asked about it after the game and Case said part of what he was thinking (or hoping for) on that throw was some sort of interference call to get them in range and another play.

Once Williams knew he was too early for the hit/tackle, he didn't use his arms in an attempt to avoid DPI which caused him to whiff entirely and actually knock out his other defender.

I feel for the guy - can't imagine all the different thoughts going through his head as he closed out to try to make that tackle...

I feel for him too. It must be brutal to commit the key mistake on a play like that (and in a game of such magnitude).
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

Mothman wrote:
I feel for him too. It must be brutal to commit the key mistake on a play like that (and in a game of such magnitude).
This just makes me wonder. Is this really our year? We never seem to get the breaks or the bounces or the miracles. Today it seemed as if that was holding true. Then, the MINNESOTA MIRACLE! WHAT!? could it be?

There is a lot of frustration against the defense today. The #2 offense against the #1 defense and the #1 defense lost. It was concerning. And it still is. Was it the players or was Zimmer unable to make the adjustments?

Our Offense does need to play better though if we want to win the Superbowl. We scored 17 points in the first half. Then until the miracle we scored 6? C'mon man! If we are going to win the Superbowl we are going to need to score at least 28 without a miracle. That being said, could this really be the year?

Regardless, this has to give this team a HUGE boost of confidence. We CAN win the tough ones. If we never give up never surrender, we CAN win!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Regarding Marcus Williams: I've watched that last play some more and it looks like he arrived early and, realizing a hit at that point would have been pass interference, he veered off. Tough situation...

... but a great result for us Vikings fans!