What's your story?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Tbolt
Waterboy

Re: What's your story?

Post by Tbolt »

Greetings everyone! Well, the Vikings for me have always been my second favorite team, as growing up in Colorado, it was Broncos first. I fell for the Vikings and Tommy Kramer during an exciting Monday night game between the two teams in 1981. Been a huge fan ever since. Been able to see them play in Mile High, though, admittedly, while pulling for the Orange and Blue in those match-ups. I used to get my Mom to take me to sports bars so I could see them play, as they wouldn't let me in otherwise. For awhile, you could vote on which non Denver game you wanted them to show, and I swung the vote a few times. In fact, I think I got the cable company to change that as there was a really exciting match-up and the Vikes had a creampuff team that they blew out, but they showed the Vikings game. They either stopped the call in or it was weighted after that...Then after graduating HS I took a car trip with a buddy of mine to MN. Mostly so I could get some Vikings memorabilia, as you couldn't find it in Denver. We tried to tour the Metrodome, but unlike the Astrodome, tours were not on offer. I did score a Keith Millard, Joey Browner, Herschel Walker and Wade Wilson posters though. Wilson may have already been gone at that point, but I wasn't passing any of it up. Also, years later while with the Army at Ft. Carson I discovered a Vikings sports Bar in Colorado Springs. Last time I was there they were blowing the NFCCG to Kerry Collins and the NYG. Used to chat on the Vikings board on ESPN when that was still a thing. My Aunt in Iowa used to send me some newspaper type format (Vikingsreport?) and I could follow the team in depth. In any event, I just sort of rambled, I have followed them pretty closely for being a second favorite team, and had sort of lost interest in the NFL this year. I forgot what it was like to care that much about a football game until last weekend. I nearly threw up during the last 5 minutes. Went nuts when they pulled it off, and hope like heck they can finish this amazing season off. It is even better when the guys playing are so likeable, like this years team. It's maybe a cheat to live the glory through two teams, but, what the hell, not as if the Vikings get much national love as it is.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

In 1998 I was 10 years old and my parents had just gotten divorced. I was living in Alaska with no real local team. But like every boy around that age I was starting to get into sports. For me, I was drawn to football, there was just something about the game that I found more amusing than any other sport. I only saw my father every other weekend, but we would spend the whole time watching football, College on Saturdays and NFL on Sundays. This was how I ended up falling in love with the sport.

Growing up, my parents tried to pull me in two different directions: my father wanted me to be a Seahawks fan like him, and my mother wanted me to cheer for the Vikings (her family was from St. Cloud). The summer of '98 my mom sent me down to the family farm in St. Cloud for the summer, she couldn't afford child care as a single parent and this was the best idea she could come up with. That summer, I got to go to the Vikings training camp for three days. That was my first glimpse at the high flying offense we had that year. I ended the summer by going to the Chiefs at Vikings preseason game, my first NFL game (which the Vikings won something like 35-0). Being in the Dome was one of the coolest experience I had at that point in my life.

When the season started a few weeks later I remember watching a ton of Vikings game. This Randy Moss guy was amazing! The offense was so impressive, they put points on the scoreboard at will. I found that the only teams I really enjoyed watching were the Vikings and that high scoring offense. This was the year that I fell in love with the Vikings. They went on to win 15 games that year. Which in my mind set the bar for what I expected. Then the playoffs came. The overtime loss to the falcons was the first time the Vikings broke my heart. But I didn't give up on them, I have continued to have my heart broken like many others on this board: 2000 NFCC; 2009 NFCC; 2015 Wildcard. And all the other playoff losses in between, those are just the ones that still hurt me.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Good story. Glad you didn't made the right choice between the Vikes and Hawks...well...in my opinion. :lol:
The-Purple-Reign
Starter

Post by The-Purple-Reign »

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

The-Purple-Reign wrote:1998.
Skol.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dreamerjohn
Practice Squad

Post by dreamerjohn »

I was born in MN on January 1984. Been a hardcore fan for over 20 years.

But I've been living in WI since Oct of 2002. The Vikes are my life
suncoastvike
Practice Squad

Post by suncoastvike »

New here but long time fan. Been around other boards always use the same name. I was born and raised in Minnesota. I'm as old as the team. My father was a die hard fan who watched and played his numbers every week. I started watching with him as a youngster. My job was to cheer and fetch him beers. It's great memories and cemented me as a fan. Left the cold for the sun and beaches of Florida as a young man but never left the Vikings. When I was 5 or 6 I got a Vikings snow suit. Purple with yellow striping. The hood had horns. Sure my dad was in on picking that out. I loved that thing and was so visibly upset I out grew it by the next winter that my dad gave me a Viking sweatshirt big enough to last a few years. So I'm a fan because of my dad. When they lost the last Super Bowl against the Raiders I was a teen. I remember my father being distraught and saying. This was their last shot at it with this group. It will be awhile before they get back. I had know nothing but being in the mix every year. As a teen of course I didn't believe him. He was far more football savvy then me at that time and knew it was a aging group. Didn't realize how long he ment. Neither did he I'm guessing. He didn't live long enough to see them win the big one. I'm hoping I don't share his fate along with his passion.
Here's to this year. :v): :govikes:
''A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and a great quarterback ~ and not necessarily in that order''