Week 13 reaction thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Week 13 reaction thread

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Seahawks are about to knock the Eagles off their perch.

We still trail on tiebreakers, but in about 4 minutes of football, we're should be tied for the best record in the NFL.

Of course, Chris Collinsworth has already said he's going to have us 4th in his power rankings this coming week. Please, media and football world, keep underestimating this team.
This is good. Instead of hearing how the Vikings shutdown Julio (maybe), the headlines will all be about the Seahawks. Wonder if the Vikings can stay under the radar into January?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

808vikingsfan wrote: This is good. Instead of hearing how the Vikings shutdown Julio (maybe), the headlines will all be about the Seahawks. Wonder if the Vikings can stay under the radar into January?
Edit ... I'm wrong.

Vikings are NOW the No. 1 seed. We win based on Strength of Victory.

Eat it, football pundits!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

More good news.

Nantz and Romo will call Vikings @ Panthers next week.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The interesting thing is of the top seeds, the Vikings are really the team winning as a team. Maybe the Steelers to a degree but especially the Vikings. Everyone else it's all about Wentz, Brady, Brees, etc.

Would any of those teams be where they are without their QB? Doubt it. And I think that's why the Vikings get overlooked, Keenum is playing way above his expectations but he doesn't have the draw of the superstar QBs, which is all the media can seem to talk about. It's rather sad when you think about it because a TEAM winning is really a great and rare story.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote:The interesting thing is of the top seeds, the Vikings are really the team winning as a team. Maybe the Steelers to a degree but especially the Vikings. Everyone else it's all about Wentz, Brady, Brees, etc.

Would any of those teams be where they are without their QB? Doubt it. And I think that's why the Vikings get overlooked, Keenum is playing way above his expectations but he doesn't have the draw of the superstar QBs, which is all the media can seem to talk about. It's rather sad when you think about it because a TEAM winning is really a great and rare story.
I really wondered how good the Eagles were and while one game doesn't tell the whole story, the Eagles were shown to be far from this awesome, unstoppable Superbowl-bound force against a very flawed Seattle team.

Eagles are definitely a good team. I'm just not convinced they are any better than the Vikings, or even the rest of the NFC field. We'll see how they do against the Rams (and how the Vikes fare against the Panthers).
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

NFC

1. Minnesota Vikings (10-2)

The Eagles’ loss Sunday night gave them a record identical to the Vikings, but Minnesota would win the tiebreaker at the moment because of a superior strength of victory. Their winning streak extended to eight games with Sunday’s triumph in Atlanta, and for the first time in this space, we’ll note that home-field advantage in the playoffs for the Vikings would extend to the Super Bowl -- to be played at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. No matter what happens with the top seed, FPI is giving the Vikings nearly a 90 percent chance to have a first-round bye. The Vikings' game next week at the Panthers is a major opportunity to bolster future tiebreakers with the Eagles for conference record and common opponents.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post ... er-week-13
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Ive watched the Eagles quite a bit this year, and its hard to imagine I still hate them as much as when I lived on the East coast, but I do. That being said, they are a good solid team this year. But they did have a weaker schedule then us, and it only gets easier for them. But I no longer think they are better then the Vikings. The way the Vikings make second half adjustments is one of their biggest achievements this year. That and Shurmurs play calling. I know people like to say we are flying under the radar right now, but dammit, I want the Vikings to get the respect they deserve. They have an extremely solid foundation right now. I just hope all our coaches dont get hired out from under us to other teams after the season. It is so nice not having Turner, or Musgrave around anymore.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I know I've been posting for years about the ability (or inability) to close out games. Brad Johnson may not have had the stats of Randall Cunningham, but when the Vikes had a lead at the end of the game, he got first downs that allowed us to win the close ones without giving up the ball. Cunningham ran a more exciting offense, but if failed us in the close games. One more first down in the 1998 NFC title game would have made the missed FG moot. And we let Johnson go and kept Cunningham, and we regretted that, and Tampa Bay didn't.

So my favorite part of this game was getting the ball back at 5 minutes to go, and driving it methodically down Atlanta's throat. That's what championship teams do. We might "complain" about a 5 point victory (even though it's on the road against the defending NFC champs, a team with was incredibly "hot" on their "three-game" win streak), but a win's a win.

No one though the Giants could beat the undefeated Patriots, but the Giants won a game like today's game. Their defense kept the game close, and they drove down the field at the end for the win. I will take a 17-14 Superbowl victory - I don't need a blowout. Although maybe our hearts/liver's would all be in better shape after a blowout!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

@John Viverios:

I agree 100%. That drive at the end of the game was a thing of beauty. That is how you close out games. The Falcon had everythin riding on that 3rd down when Keenum connected with Thielen for 21 yards. You could almost hear the air leaving the balloon. The funniest part is the announcers didn't stop slobbering over Julio Jones until that play.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Since this thread is tabbed "Week 13 reaction thread," and I loosely take that to mean "anything in Week 13, not just the Vikings" (and because nobody reads the NFL Talk thread), I'll post this here.

Headline of the week, from ESPN.com:

Silverdome still standing after failed implosion attempt.

A metaphor for the Detroit Lions, if ever there was one. They can't even implode without failing. :rofl:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

My reaction is simply that the Vikings make good teams or "hot" teams look bad and that is a good thing to be doing while your heading into the playoffs where you will only be facing good teams. There is a good chance that vikings will go into the playoffs as the #1 seed but they will still be playing the role of "spoilers".

I am eagerly awaiting the power rankings for tomorrow. I know that the vikings were finally in the 3-5 range across the board last week but now they are the #1 in the NFC (and the NFL) which doesn't mean much for power rankings after week 3, but after week 13 it should mean a lot. My prediction is that the Pats and Eagles swap spots on most power rankings and the Vikings stay at #3 and I'm just fine with that. I think some will have the Vikings at #1, but if most do i might be a little surprised.

We haven't done anything yet, but i feel like its going to be a down hill coast from here to our first round bye, as long as we can avoid complacency and catastrophe. The way this team is stepping up week after week... its different... and I'm not worried. But there are 32 teams in the league, 16 in the playoffs and only one can win. Its not going to be easy but this team has shown that they can win the tough games against quality opponents (even ones with momentum).

Side note: All the talk about penalties is a bit annoying. In week 2 we lost to the Steelers but we clearly beat ourselves more so than the Steelers beating us. The story line was that we were victims of the three Bs. Frustrating, but i hope to see a rematch come February (beating the Pats would be fine also though).
Formerly AADPFan
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

One thing i did like, that the announcers captured well, was how the Falcons adjusted their offense on first downs to catch us in our base defense and how we adjusted with more pressure on first down the prevent that.
Formerly AADPFan
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

John_Viveiros wrote:I know I've been posting for years about the ability (or inability) to close out games. Brad Johnson may not have had the stats of Randall Cunningham, but when the Vikes had a lead at the end of the game, he got first downs that allowed us to win the close ones without giving up the ball. Cunningham ran a more exciting offense, but if failed us in the close games. One more first down in the 1998 NFC title game would have made the missed FG moot. And we let Johnson go and kept Cunningham, and we regretted that, and Tampa Bay didn't.

So my favorite part of this game was getting the ball back at 5 minutes to go, and driving it methodically down Atlanta's throat. That's what championship teams do. We might "complain" about a 5 point victory (even though it's on the road against the defending NFC champs, a team with was incredibly "hot" on their "three-game" win streak), but a win's a win.

No one though the Giants could beat the undefeated Patriots, but the Giants won a game like today's game. Their defense kept the game close, and they drove down the field at the end for the win. I will take a 17-14 Superbowl victory - I don't need a blowout. Although maybe our hearts/liver's would all be in better shape after a blowout!
This is it right here and will be the reason the Vikes wind up with the #1 seed if indeed they do win out and get it. Great teams simply do not let up late in games - they put their foot on the throat of their opponent and end the game. Very impressive considering several of these late-game winning drives by the offense have been on the road, which means they're fighting not only the opposing defense that is hyped up to get the ball back for it's offense, but also a loud crowd that is doing everything possible to make life hard for the QB to alter plays pre-snap.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

I didn't see much of the game but I did see the drive that had that tipped to Floyd. That was the longest Really impressed how he held his ground.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Watching Around the Horn on ESPN - they said this was the first time in three years that a team held the Falcons without a TD. It was the lowest yardage total for the Falcons in five years. Wow! That's impressive.