WEEK 13: Minnesota Vikings @ Atlanta Falcons Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

WEEK 13: Minnesota Vikings @ Atlanta Falcons Discussion

Post by Cliff »

Should be a good game!

Link Here.
The Minnesota Vikings (9-2) will travel to face the Atlanta Falcons (7-4) in Week 13, the second of three straight road games for Minnesota. The Vikings own a 4-1 road record, and the Falcons hold a 3-2 mark at home in 2017. The Vikings 9-2 start is the best start through 11 games for Minnesota since starting 10-1 in 2009. The Vikings currently have a seven-game winning streak, tied with New England for the second-best streak in the NFL and also the second-longest regular-season streak since Zimmer become head coach in 2014 (eight games from 12/20/15-10/9/16).

The Vikings offense, which ranks fifth in the NFL in yards per game (375.7), has been led by the consistent play from WR Adam Thielen, who is third in the NFL with 1,005 receiving yards and tied for fourth in the NFL with 70 receptions. QB Case Keenum has stepped in to start nine games, posting a 7-2 record and compiling 14 touchdowns, five interceptions and a career-best 96.2 passer rating. RBs Jerick McKinnon and Latavius Murray have filled the void left by rookie starting RB Dalvin Cook, helping the Vikings rush for 133.9 yards per game since Week 5, sixth in the NFL in that span. In the last five games, Murray has rushed for 399 yards (fourth in the NFL) and five touchdowns (tied for second in the NFL).

The Vikings defense has held opponents to 290.4 yards per game (fifth in the NFL) and 17.7 points per game (fifth in the NFL). The Vikings defense has limited opponents to 75.5 rushing yards per game (second in the NFL) and 3.3 yards per rush (third in the NFL).

DE Everson Griffen is tied for first in the NFL with 12 sacks this season, the third time in his career he has reached double digits (12 in 2014, 10.5 in 2015). LB Eric Kendricks, who has led the Vikings in tackles each of his first two seasons, is leading the Vikings with 97 tackles (coaches’ stats) and has tied his career high with 13 tackles on three separate occasions this season (at PIT, vs BAL, at CLE). S Harrison Smith has snagged a team-leading three interceptions this season, ranking tied for 10th in the NFL.
VIKINGS-FALCONS CONNECTIONS

Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer was the defensive coordinator for the Falcons for the 2007 season when the Falcons opened at Minnesota that year. Falcons tight ends coach Wade Harman spent the 1997 and ’98 seasons as a coaching assistant with the Vikings. Harman was with the Vikings when they lost to the Falcons in the 1998 NFC Championship Game after going 15-1 in the regular season. Vikings assistant defensive backs coach Jonathan Gannon served as Atlanta’s defensive assistant/quality control coach in 2007. Falcons FB Derrick Coleman entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Minnesota Vikings in 2012. Coleman was released by the Vikings during final cuts prior to the 2012 regular season.
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: WEEK 13: Minnesota Vikings @ Atlanta Falcons Discussion

Post by Cliff »

Xavier Rhodes discusses pending matchup with Julio Jones

Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Atlanta and Carolina will reveal where we really are.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

No respect. The following is a headline from Vikngs.com.
Expert Picks: Vikings Chances Against Red Hot Atlanta Falcons?

Red hot Atlanta. Okay.........the Falcons have scored 31.6 points per game the last 3 games while giving up 19.3 points per game.

The Vikings have scored 30.6 points per game while giving up 20 points per game the last 3 games. I guess the 1 point differential makes a team "Red" hot as opposed to just being hot. :D
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Raptorman wrote:No respect. The following is a headline from Vikngs.com.

Red hot Atlanta. Okay.........the Falcons have scored 31.6 points per game the last 3 games while giving up 19.3 points per game.

The Vikings have scored 30.6 points per game while giving up 20 points per game the last 3 games. I guess the 1 point differential makes a team "Red" hot as opposed to just being hot. :D
LOL
We get no respect.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Not to mention the Vikings are on a 7 game winning streak. Last time I checked, 7 is greater than 3.

I don't mind though. Like Keenum this season, I think the Vikings play better as the underdog.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The article is worse.

Every organization has more "experts" picking Atlanta than the Vikings.

And here's the best one. Donovan McNabb apparently has a radio show now, and his top 5 are 5. New Orleans, 4. Los Angeles Rams, 3. Pittsburgh, 2. New England, 1. Philadelphia. He doesn't even have the Vikings in the Top 5 ... and he has the Rams and Saints, even though we beat them both!

This will all make 10-2 that much sweeter.

Then we can go on to everyone picking Carolina to beat us.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The Eagles and Patriots are the only teams I think are better then us. But not by a lot. And I'm guessing if we get to the big game, we will have to beat both to be the champs.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:The Eagles and Patriots are the only teams I think are better then us. But not by a lot. And I'm guessing if we get to the big game, we will have to beat both to be the champs.
By TMQ rankings, the Vikings have a better record in authentic games (games against teams that actually are good and have a chance to beat you) than either of those two teams.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/tuesday-m ... le/2010627

Philly has played a pretty easy schedule. We'll see what they are made of in the next few weeks. As we'll also have a better idea about what the Vikings are made of.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The Eagles havent played many easier teams then the Vikes. I saw the stats a few weeks ago, wish I remembered where. But its not like all the teams the Eagles beat were under .500% and all the teams the Vikings have played are above that. Its fairly close. Its kinda like this Falcons game. We can beat them, and maybe should beat them, but just because they lost a a couple more games this year doesnt mean jack. We almost blew a huge lead against the Lions, who aren't that good. We darn near laid an egg that second half.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:The Eagles havent played many easier teams then the Vikes. I saw the stats a few weeks ago, wish I remembered where. But its not like all the teams the Eagles beat were under .500% and all the teams the Vikings have played are above that. Its fairly close. Its kinda like this Falcons game. We can beat them, and maybe should beat them, but just because they lost a a couple more games this year doesnt mean jack. We almost blew a huge lead against the Lions, who aren't that good. We darn near laid an egg that second half.
Well lets see. The Eagles have played two teams who are currently above .500. The Chiefs and the Panthers. They lost one of them. The Vikings have played 6 teams that are currently above .500 and are 4-2 in those games. But yeah, their schedule isn't much easier.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Falcon's nickel Poole downgraded to questionable with a back injury. Another significant development for Diggs/AT, who spend a lot of time in the slot.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
And here's the best one. Donovan McNabb apparently has a radio show now, and his top 5 are 5.

Donovan McNabb come to Minnesota and threw the ball at the ground more than at his receivers, and now is out of football and has a radio show that no one in Minnesota listens to.

So, most of us probably care little what he thinks.

(BTW - this comment is aimed at Donovan, not at you) :govikes:
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PsyDanny wrote:
Donovan McNabb come to Minnesota and threw the ball at the ground more than at his receivers, and now is out of football and has a radio show that no one in Minnesota listens to.

So, most of us probably care little what he thinks.

(BTW - this comment is aimed at Donovan, not at you) :govikes:
Hah, McNabb got me in trouble on this site, i just couldn't stand him or his bounce passes. One of the many reasons i despise the Eagles.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:The Eagles and Patriots are the only teams I think are better then us. But not by a lot. And I'm guessing if we get to the big game, we will have to beat both to be the champs.
Eagles aren't better than us. Their run game has improved but that secondary is horrendous. They are also playing without their LT. Not to say theiy haven't played well but I'm confident we would beat them after seeing what we did to them last season. We are made to beat that team. Their LBs are athletic but often out of positions and their secondary minus 1 guy isn't anything to write home about.