WEEK 13: Minnesota Vikings @ Atlanta Falcons Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: WEEK 13: Minnesota Vikings @ Atlanta Falcons Discussion

Post by cstelter »

cstelter wrote: So to not lose a 1st round bye to SEA, we must
1) win no more than 1 game less than them.
2) If we win 2 games less than them, our wins had better be NFC wins (resulting in our having better NFC record outright, or tied winning common opponents), or one of their wins had better have been against JAX next week (resulting in NFC record tie and our winning common opponents).
It just occurred to me that the scenario that Seattle wins out would put them in one of their wins having been against JAX. Thus by my #2 we win that tie breaker scenario regardless of which 2 games we win to end tied with them. The *only* way we lose the 2nd round bye to SEA in a tie is if we lose 4 games and they win 3 NFC games, or if we lose 3 by only beating CIN, *and* they only lose 1, but *not* JAX. Of course we can also lose by losing 4 and they win 3, or losing 3 and they win 4, but those have nothing to do with owning tie breakers.

Also in any 3 loss or 4 loss scenario, odds are good that NO, or LAR will grab that 2nd bye before SEA.

Let's just focus on beating CAR, and not worry about these eventualities.
Craig S
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

mansquatch wrote:I'm not upset that we are not getting media attention, so much as the overall stupidity and inanity of the broadcasters just drives me up a wall. It's like they are trying to be John Madden. You listen to most of those guys talk and for the most part they are just recycling bits that have been done for the past 10-20 years. Look at Aikman as an example. Aikman should have forgotten more about football than any of us would know, yet his comments are almost universally qualitative in nature, as if he some how can divine the attitude of the player. That isn't on any level what I would refer to as "analysis."

You'd think that a guy like Gruden would be better as he was an HC just 10 years ago and even his comments are lame. My guess is the network brass and clinging to an old formula of what they think will work based on what has worked and it created a general stagnation by squashing originality. No risk = no reward = Bland and Boring. This is a big reason why I enjoy Romo as a commentator. He is the first announcer I've heard in probably a decade where I actually learn something new. What a breath of fresh air!

If i had more capital I'd find a way to challenge the networks. They are all old and tired and ripe for some creative destruction.
I really like listening to Romo, he is way better than what I thought he would be, he actually makes comments that are accurate moments before the play starts and explains what the QB is seeing pre snap.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

cstelter wrote: It just occurred to me that the scenario that Seattle wins out would put them in one of their wins having been against JAX. Thus by my #2 we win that tie breaker scenario regardless of which 2 games we win to end tied with them. The *only* way we lose the 2nd round bye to SEA in a tie is if we lose 4 games and they win 3 NFC games, or if we lose 3 by only beating CIN, *and* they only lose 1, but *not* JAX. Of course we can also lose by losing 4 and they win 3, or losing 3 and they win 4, but those have nothing to do with owning tie breakers.

Also in any 3 loss or 4 loss scenario, odds are good that NO, or LAR will grab that 2nd bye before SEA.

Let's just focus on beating CAR, and not worry about these eventualities.
You're right, I read #2 as best division record not conference so I was thinking since they are undefeated in their division, they would get the tiebreaker.