Teddy will start against Chicago

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Teddy will start against Chicago

Post by purplehaze »

Because we will have the #1 seed wrapped up and don't want to risk Case getting hurt. :D
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: Teddy will start against Chicago

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I can see that and I can see it sooner. Pretty sure one bad game from Keenum will do it. Fair or not..
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I can see that and I can see it sooner. Pretty sure one bad game from Keenum will do it. Fair or not..
What would happen if Teddy has a terrible game? Are you flip flopping? I don't agree with you on this.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

This is one of the stupidest titles to a thread Ive seen. It states it as a fact, when all it is, is a poor joke.
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

At this point Case is playing better than Teddy ever did. I could see playing Teddy against the Bears. There will definitely be a decision at some point though, I don't think the Vikes can keep both Keenum and Bridgewater.
From the Fjords of ValHalla
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

autobon7 wrote: What would happen if Teddy has a terrible game? Are you flip flopping? I don't agree with you on this.

That post was damn near a month ago ding dong. :lol:

Things change...Right now there's no question Case is the guy and even if Minnesota clinches early and plays Teddy, Case should still be the guy.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

TeamChaplain wrote:At this point Case is playing better than Teddy ever did. I could see playing Teddy against the Bears. There will definitely be a decision at some point though, I don't think the Vikes can keep both Keenum and Bridgewater.
He also has a better Oline then Teddy did. And better receivers then Teddy ever did. And a better running game the Teddy ever did. And a better OC then Teddy ever did. And a better D then Teddy ever did. Get the picture?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: He also has a better Oline then Teddy did. And better receivers then Teddy ever did. And a better running game the Teddy ever did. And a better OC then Teddy ever did. And a better D then Teddy ever did. Get the picture?
And arguably Teddy played better than Case ever did prior to coming to Minnesota.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The real question is has Teddy ever played better than Case is playing right now. The answer to that I think is no. Any talk about ceiling is speculation. People need to remember that going into 2016, before Teddy got hurt the thought was one of "we hope Teddy turns the corner." The fact is, we are seeing before our eyes that Keenum HAS turned the corner.

Consider this comparison:

Keenum 2017: 11 games 2,703 yards, 16TD 5INT
Bridgewater 2015: 16 Games 3,231 yards, 14TD 9INT

Keenum has 5 more gmaes to go and he already has 2 more TD. He would have to play at level close to the worst from Ponder in order to end up close to TB's last full season stats. More likely he is going to end up in tickling 4000 yards and 20-23 TD. The Vikings coaching staff has, IMO, made the right choice in not benching Keenum. His play simply does not justify it.

For me, the big take away here is that in 2016 we have one guy who IS doing the job vs. another guy who folks HOPE could do the job and MAYBE do it better. Given that we are currently the #1 seed in the NFC, I think Teddy should ride the bench.

If Keenum gets hurt, Teddy will get his chance.

FWIW, I hope Teddy can make a comeback, but I'm really starting to wonder if it will be with the Vikings.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mansquatch wrote:The real question is has Teddy ever played better than Case is playing right now. The answer to that I think is no. Any talk about ceiling is speculation. People need to remember that going into 2016, before Teddy got hurt the thought was one of "we hope Teddy turns the corner." The fact is, we are seeing before our eyes that Keenum HAS turned the corner.

Consider this comparison:

Keenum 2017: 11 games 2,703 yards, 16TD 5INT
Bridgewater 2015: 16 Games 3,231 yards, 14TD 9INT

Keenum has 5 more gmaes to go and he already has 2 more TD. He would have to play at level close to the worst from Ponder in order to end up close to TB's last full season stats. More likely he is going to end up in tickling 4000 yards and 20-23 TD. The Vikings coaching staff has, IMO, made the right choice in not benching Keenum. His play simply does not justify it.

For me, the big take away here is that in 2016 we have one guy who IS doing the job vs. another guy who folks HOPE could do the job and MAYBE do it better. Given that we are currently the #1 seed in the NFC, I think Teddy should ride the bench.

If Keenum gets hurt, Teddy will get his chance.

FWIW, I hope Teddy can make a comeback, but I'm really starting to wonder if it will be with the Vikings.
Case has twice the team Teddy did. You cant really even compare it. its pure speculation either way. But theres no reason to doubt Teddy could be just as good, if Case managed to do it.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think you are missing what I'm saying. Going into 2016 there were threads on here saying "Teddy needs to be a 20TD QB" etc. We've never seen Teddy actually do that. I get the hope and his flashes of potential, I really do. But the reality is we are seeing Case Keenum actually do the things we hoped Teddy would do.

For me it is hard sell to say on one hand we've got this guy who IS delivering the goods, ergo potential 4000 yard season. Then on the other hand we've got this guy who has flashed some good things, but has never produced an good to elite season. Yet we think he might be as good or maybe even marginally better than the first guy.

To me, when you've got a guy on pace for 4000 yards you do not mess around with it. That isn't far off from saying "well I've got Drew Brees, but this other guy might be the next Rogers, so I should bench Brees."
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mansquatch wrote:I think you are missing what I'm saying. Going into 2016 there were threads on here saying "Teddy needs to be a 20TD QB" etc. We've never seen Teddy actually do that. I get the hope and his flashes of potential, I really do. But the reality is we are seeing Case Keenum actually do the things we hoped Teddy would do.

For me it is hard sell to say on one hand we've got this guy who IS delivering the goods, ergo potential 4000 yard season. Then on the other hand we've got this guy who has flashed some good things, but has never produced an good to elite season. Yet we think he might be as good or maybe even marginally better than the first guy.

To me, when you've got a guy on pace for 4000 yards you do not mess around with it. That isn't far off from saying "well I've got Drew Brees, but this other guy might be the next Rogers, so I should bench Brees."
Who is calling for Teddy to be benched?