Not elite

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Not elite

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Not sure if the Vikings will win or lose today, but today is a great example of why this Viking D is good.....but not elite.

Elite Defenses just don't have games like this. Cousins and the Redskins are absolutely lighting them up. If not for a few drops, missed throws, and a WR trip at the goal line, the redskins could have 40+ points right now, early in the 4th!!!!!!!

Ohhhhh, but Griffen is injured!!!! blah, blah blah

NOT ELITE! weakness at EVERY level of defense (Tom Johnson, Gedeon, Waynes, Sendejo). ELITE Ds don't have this!
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Not elite

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Tom Johnson with the HUGE 4th down stop!!!!

Perfect timing for my post :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:smilevike:
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

One bad game and here we go with the overreactions already....
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Well, scoring 38 points is pretty elite, right? That's more points than anybody scored on them in 8 games.

That's more points than the Chiefs, Eagles, Seahawks, Cowboys and Raiders.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Boon wrote:One bad game and here we go with the overreactions already....
It's not an overreaction. They have not been dominant all year, imo.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Well, scoring 38 points is pretty elite, right? That's more points than anybody scored on them in 8 games.

That's more points than the Chiefs, Eagles, Seahawks, Cowboys and Raiders.
Great game by offense, no doubt. Two bad decisions by Keenum - other than that a nearly flawless game.

But the post was about the D, not offense.

Your second sentence is incomplete so I'm not sure how to respond to it.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

PurpleMustReign wrote:It's not an overreaction. They have not been dominant all year, imo.

So in orderto be considered dominant , you're saying they have to be #1 in everything? Because coming into this game this defense has been damn near top 5 in every statistical category, would be even higher minus the garbage time td's and drives. I dont get what you guys want. There are 28 other teams looking up at this defense, and given the scores so far this week they probably will stay top 5
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Boon wrote:
So in orderto be considered dominant , you're saying they have to be #1 in everything? Because coming into this game this defense has been damn near top 5 in every statistical category, would be even higher minus the garbage time td's and drives. I dont get what you guys want. There are 28 other teams looking up at this defense, and given the scores so far this week they probably will stay top 5
Elite is just a label. I wouldnt put too much energy into it. This D is good enough to get to the SB IMO. Sometimes, games like this happen.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Vikings made the right adjustments to win the game. Redskins are a good team dispite their record. Ibdont see the point of this post.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Dmizzle0 wrote:Vikings made the right adjustments to win the game. Redskins are a good team dispite their record. Ibdont see the point of this post.
Neither do I. "Elite" is simply a label, and the only label I'm interested in is "Super Bowl Champions."

Crazy games like this happen. Two weeks ago, Houston and Seattle, two teams with excellent defenses, put up a ton of points and yards against each other. The next week, the Redskins and Seahawks tried to see who could gain the fewest yards and still win.

Bottom line is that we won the game, and this defense IS good enough to get the Vikings deep into the playoffs. The question has been whether the offense could hold up. We just put up 38 on the road, but guess what? By itself, that doesn't prove anything, either.

You're good or bad depending on what you do over the long haul. This team is 7-2 and winning its division by 2 full games. I'm going out on a limb here and calling them pretty good.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

They are pretty good. They aernt what I would consider elite though. Too many missed tackles, Barr goes flying past Cousins twice without touching him (and I think Barr had a good game), too much bend but dont break for me. If the Skins made that onside kick, things could have been a lot different, with the way Cousins was hitting his receivers. And I just HATE the prevent defense. I know all the teams do it with the lead, but its almost like saying 'we dont trust our D, so we are playing with the safeties 100 yards in front of the play'. I think we could pad some of our D's numbers by play normal dime D. But I think the main thing about the D that concerns me is how they start out. They dont really look all that good until AFTER halftime adjustments.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

You guys are right - the term "elite" is subjective so maybe we're just arguing over semantics. So to clarify my point of view:

An elite defense can win a super bowl with Jim McMahon, Trent dilfer, Brad Johnson, or Case Keenum

A good defense can win a super bowl with week 1 Sam Bradford
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Great game by offense, no doubt. Two bad decisions by Keenum - other than that a nearly flawless game.

But the post was about the D, not offense.

Your second sentence is incomplete so I'm not sure how to respond to it.
Its an implied clause/enthymeme Ithink is the term for that?

(than those teams scored against the Redskins).

P1. If the Vikings aren't elite, why would they have scored 38 points?
P2. Teams others consider to be elite scored fewer points than that.
C. The Vikings are elite because even when the defense and special teams don't deliver, the offense has big time potential.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

hard to say you have a dominant defense when game after game teams drive the ball down the field. While we are a good defense with a lot of talent in many places, we are not dominant very often. When people say Dominant I think of 85 bears, 2000 Ravens, 69 Vikings, 69 chiefs, 70s Steelers.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Wasn't the original post about the defense, not about the team?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018