Hasan: Start Teddy Bridgewater

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Hasan: Start Teddy Bridgewater

Post by 808vikingsfan »

HASAN: Start Teddy Bridgewater

Good article.

I'd start him ASAP. Once in there, stay committed no matter what (unless he can't physically do his job).

“It typically takes a quarterback time to regain confidence in a surgically repaired knee,” he argued. “It took Sam Bradford about 10 weeks to fully recover from his second ACL tear; he was a bad quarterback during that stage but thrived over the second half of that season.

“That’s the quandary with Bridgewater. There’s a strong chance he’s worse than Keenum in the short term but he needs to play if he’s going to be valuable in the long term. In the long term you know you’re not winning a Super Bowl with Keenum. You’re probably not with Bridgewater this year either but he offers you a better chance”

Bradford seems to be the worst-case scenario. Joe Flacco immediately returned to form in 2016 from his 2015 ACL tear, a time lag of 295 days between injury and first start.

Donovan McNabb played at a Pro Bowl level before his ACL tear in 2006 and though he didn’t make a Pro Bowl again until 2009, played much like his older self a few weeks into the 2007 season, with a standout performance in Week 3 — a perfect passer rating on 26 attempts against the Detroit Lions. It took 309 days between injury and a high-level performance for McNabb.

Carson Palmer suffered the first of two ACL tears at a similar time, in January of 2006. A Pro Bowl year for the former Cincinnati Bengal, Palmer returned to the Pro Bowl the next year in a season where it didn’t take long to put together a classic performance. In Week 3, he threw four touchdown passes and two interceptions on 26 passes to beat the Steelers with a 98.2 passer rating.

That performance was only 206 days removed from his initial injury. That might even be too conservative, as Palmer had a lights-out preseason performance that year, throwing for three touchdowns on only 14 passes against the Green Bay Packers in late August — a month before his Steelers performance.

Later in his career, Palmer re-tore his ACL with the Arizona Cardinals in 2014, a year that he was on track for another Pro Bowl appearance. Instead, he had to settle for that appearance after the 2015 season, where he led the league in yards per attempt, adjusted yards per attempt and ESPN total QBR. He dominated early on, with three touchdowns and no interceptions on 32 attempts against the New Orleans Saints for a passer rating of 122.8.

The lag between injury and highlight performance was 309 days in that case.
There’s an argument that Bridgewater didn’t throw many touchdowns in his 2015 season, and therefore he’s not particularly special, but that’s not a particularly complete argument; Keenum has thrown a touchdown on 3.0 percent of his passes, while Bridgewater threw a touchdown on 3.3 percent of his.

In fact, Bridgewater threw with a higher yards per attempt in 2015 than Keenum has this year, and with higher adjusted yards per attempt.

All of this is with a significantly worse offensive line — one that ranked dead last in advanced pass protection statistics, standard pass protection statistics and contemporary film-oriented lists — and a receiving corps that cycled through Mike Wallace and Charles Johnson before settling on a less-developed Thielen.

One interesting way to evaluate quarterbacks that strips away some of the problems that come with using touchdowns and interceptions as well as the issues that come with poor playcalling is evaluating performance on third-and-long. Because offenses tend not to attempt to convert third-and-13 or longer, it’s most appropriate to look at passes thrown on third down with between seven and 12 yards to go.

Bridgewater converted those third downs at a 38.1 percent clip, good for ninth-best in the NFL. Bradford, with a somehow even worse offensive line but marginally better weapons, converted third-and-long at a 26.9 percent clip, 27th in the NFL. Keenum, in a much friendlier environment, converted 28 percent of third-and-long plays into a first down, ranking 24th.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Hasan: Start Teddy Bridgewater

Post by DK Sweets »

808vikingsfan wrote:HASAN: Start Teddy Bridgewater

Good article.

I'd start him ASAP. Once in there, stay committed no matter what (unless he can't physically do his job).

How do you make me miss Teddy more on the day he comes back? What kind of wizardry...?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I've said we should start him for a while now. We always have Keenum as insurance. We HAVE to remember, if Keenum craps the bed in the last few weeks or craps the bed in the playoffs and we are forced to put Teddy in with no game action, that sets Teddy up for failure. Start the guy. If he plays like Sam did when he wasnt ready vs Chicago, pull him. But we HAVE to see what we have in him. NOW and for the FUTURE. Absolute perfect scenario for him is for him to start next week. It's our only home game for a long stretch. With the crowd behind him and all, the stadium would be going insane for him and really boost his confidence. We automatically gain a giant amount of momentum befofre the game starts
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

I still maintain that Teddy will start next week. Zimmer is smart. He knows the benefits of playing Teddy. But he also knows that by waiting for a home game for the first start it will improve his chances of success. Playing his first game back at The Bank will be vastly different than playing on the road. If there were bets for when his first start would be, I'd drop $1,000 on the Rams game.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I've said we should start him for a while now. We always have Keenum as insurance. We HAVE to remember, if Keenum craps the bed in the last few weeks or craps the bed in the playoffs and we are forced to put Teddy in with no game action, that sets Teddy up for failure. Start the guy. If he plays like Sam did when he wasnt ready vs Chicago, pull him. But we HAVE to see what we have in him. NOW and for the FUTURE. Absolute perfect scenario for him is for him to start next week. It's our only home game for a long stretch. With the crowd behind him and all, the stadium would be going insane for him and really boost his confidence. We automatically gain a giant amount of momentum befofre the game starts
What If Teddy craps the bed? Is that ok?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

I'm 42 years old, I've been following the Vikings fairly regularly since I was 17 years old. I know the history of this organization and and fan base, how easily they both fall for fools gold, i.e Hershel Walker Trade. In a 16 game season, Wins are hard to come by, especially for this organization. I read some of the comments on here about Keenum's Wins versus Bridgewater's potential. And I go, here we go again.

Anyway, I agree with you guys I do think they will start Bridgewater soon. And if I was Keenum or his agent, I would request an immediate buy out. There are plenty of NFL teams willing to let him finish the season as their starter. I mean how much more disrespect can a guy take?
beerfan
Backup

Post by beerfan »

Case might be upset because he has done everything we asked of him and then some but that would make him look downright foolish. All he has to do is accept his role for a few more games and hes a free agent. Look at what Mike Glennon got paid for being a quality backup that projected as a potential starter. Case has shown way more than Glennon had prior to last offseason. Still doubt he gets paid anywhere near as much because the Bears are idiots but hes due a nice payday regardless. No point pouting, forcing a move and risk struggling elsewhere.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

He's a backup that has thrown INTs in his last 3 games. Also, when he signed here, he had to know the situation. Teddy was a mainstay here. He had to know that there was a potential that Teddy would be back. He was always supposed to be #2.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

petev_sj wrote:I'm 42 years old, I've been following the Vikings fairly regularly since I was 17 years old. I know the history of this organization and and fan base, how easily they both fall for fools gold, i.e Hershel Walker Trade. In a 16 game season, Wins are hard to come by, especially for this organization. I read some of the comments on here about Keenum's Wins versus Bridgewater's potential. And I go, here we go again.

Anyway, I agree with you guys I do think they will start Bridgewater soon. And if I was Keenum or his agent, I would request an immediate buy out. There are plenty of NFL teams willing to let him finish the season as their starter. I mean how much more disrespect can a guy take?
Did that ever happen? A backup QB on a division leader wanting to get out mid season so he can start on a crappy team somewhere else? Sounds pretty selfish. Case seems like the ultimate team guy.

Unless he's a great liar, Case loves being on this team. He understands his role completely. He's the starter now. Even if the Vikings decide to start Teddy, Case is just a play away from being QB1.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Is three INTs in three games bad? Why do people keep bring that up? Hell even Tom Brady has had games where he threw three INTs.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Cris Carter's take on Bridgewater. At the 5:12 mark

https://youtu.be/UPOLpOVD2AU?t=312
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Is three INTs in three games bad? Why do people keep bring that up? Hell even Tom Brady has had games where he threw three INTs.

It's not bad but, he has been careless with the ball and inaccurate. It's easy to lose sight of that in wins but when it comes to playing tough teams, we may not be able to overcome these types of mistakes.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I've said we should start him for a while now. We always have Keenum as insurance. We HAVE to remember, if Keenum craps the bed in the last few weeks or craps the bed in the playoffs and we are forced to put Teddy in with no game action, that sets Teddy up for failure. Start the guy. If he plays like Sam did when he wasnt ready vs Chicago, pull him. But we HAVE to see what we have in him. NOW and for the FUTURE. Absolute perfect scenario for him is for him to start next week. It's our only home game for a long stretch. With the crowd behind him and all, the stadium would be going insane for him and really boost his confidence. We automatically gain a giant amount of momentum befofre the game starts
You and I have gone round and round on this topic, but we're in agreement here.

Starting Teddy at home would be the far-and-away best idea. Our fans would be over the moon, the players would run through fire, and the environment would be better for the entire offense (less crowd noise on offense means fewer false starts, better cadence between Teddy and O-line).

Like you said, if Teddy craps the bed, pull him. But I'm hoping for a start against the Rams.

Even better, we blow out Washington, get Teddy in the game late, and then start him against the Rams.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Is three INTs in three games bad? Why do people keep bring that up? Hell even Tom Brady has had games where he threw three INTs.

Yes, lets compare Case to Brady, lol.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Yes, lets compare Case to Brady, lol.
I just did. Duh.