Five games for Division Championship

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Five games for Division Championship

Post by mansquatch »

dead_poet wrote:Just looked at the Lions ROS schedule. Other than us, they have a legit chance to run the table. They'll be in it until the end.

I agree. The good news is a lot of their cream puffs are on the road, so that makes the wins less of a guarantee. The Nov 19th game vs. Chicago is worth paying attention to. The Bears are not as terrible as they were last year and their defense is very well coached. If they can take advantage of the Lion's red zone woes, they might sneak a win which will help us out a lot.

The Thanksgiving game will be very important. If the Vikings can win that game that should put them in the driver's seat for the division. If the Bears drop them and we do the same that puts DET at 6 losses and out of the picture in terms of the NFCN and the playoff race.

The next three weeks for the Vikings are huge:
Don't let the Redskins' record fool you, their losses are to DAL, PHI x 2, and KC. They also beat the Rams in a road game. That is a significant game against a well coached team. The offense will need to deliver some plays to win this game.

LAR will be a statement game opportunity in terms of the national media, but the Rams lack a significant victory, their only signature win was vs. DAL on the road. Everyone else they've beaten is dysfunctional.

Lastly, we need to beat DET on Thanksgiving to stay in control of the division.

November is prove it month.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote:
I agree. The good news is a lot of their cream puffs are on the road, so that makes the wins less of a guarantee. The Nov 19th game vs. Chicago is worth paying attention to. The Bears are not as terrible as they were last year and their defense is very well coached. If they can take advantage of the Lion's red zone woes, they might sneak a win which will help us out a lot.

The Thanksgiving game will be very important. If the Vikings can win that game that should put them in the driver's seat for the division. If the Bears drop them and we do the same that puts DET at 6 losses and out of the picture in terms of the NFCN and the playoff race.

The next three weeks for the Vikings are huge:
Don't let the Redskins' record fool you, their losses are to DAL, PHI x 2, and KC. They also beat the Rams in a road game. That is a significant game against a well coached team. The offense will need to deliver some plays to win this game.

LAR will be a statement game opportunity in terms of the national media, but the Rams lack a significant victory, their only signature win was vs. DAL on the road. Everyone else they've beaten is dysfunctional.

Lastly, we need to beat DET on Thanksgiving to stay in control of the division.

November is prove it month.
Good post. I can definitely see the Bears beating the Lions. I'm definitely rooting for Detroit to lose every game possible though I can tell you that. I really hope to god we beat them. We are cursed by them right now. Is it sad I was actually rooting for the Packers to win last night? :lol:

Washington scares me. We've lost the last two games there. They are a weird team. They either look really bad sometimes or really good.

I think our defense will give Goff fits. Their OL still isnt very strong although it is better than it has been in the past. They do have a good defense. They are a very similar team to us.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I just can't resist sharing this:

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/11 ... f-packers/

Delicious. Everything I've been saying the past few years. Totally a one man show. Enjoy.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Raptorman wrote:
Now 3-8-1
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Raptorman wrote: Now 3-8-1
I said last year when we went through all our injuries woes that GB was awful without Rodgers. Some fans tried to blame Spielman and so on but we lost some monster pieces and still finished 8-8. GB loses Aaron Rodgers and they are a bottom 10 team in the NFL. When you lose players that valuable you dont really recover too easily unless a miracle hits.

It truly drives me nuts when fans/analysts, etc say how great of an organization the Packers are. And how good of a GM Thompson is. He's a good GM because he drafted a QB and let him sit behind Favre for years and now he's the best QB in the NFL? That makes him a "good" GM?? I remember when the Colts were fairly solid those first few years into drafting Luck. Everyone was saying how good of a GM Grigson was. Why?? Because they finished dead last the same year the next Peyton Manning was coming out of the draft?? That doesnt make you a good GM. Look where Grigson is now. FIRED. It just says you have common sense. Look how disgustingly horrid Indy's defense was under Grigson. It's still suffering terribly. Green Bay has struggled to draft legit players on the defensive side of the ball. Mike Daniels is very good. Matthews was good 5 years ago. Clinton Dix is ok. I mean outside of that recently, their defense doesnt really have much. They havent been able to find a RB in a long time and going into this year with Ty Montgomery was absolutely stupid. I could've told him that. Especially with a loaded RB class this year.

They have "good" WRs but how "good" are these WRs without Aaron Rodgers. Jordy Nelson, in the last 3 games hasnt eclipsed 60 yards and has zero touchdowns. Adams hasnt eclipsed 54 yards and has 1 TD vs us on a broken play. So how GOOD are these WRs?

The Packers organization in the last 8 years or so is grossly overrated. They would be a hot pile of garbage without Aaron Rodgers and it shows when he doesnt play.

We are 6-2 with a backup QB. We have won with Sam Bradford getting no offseason with this team in his first year. We've gotten to the playoffs with Teddy. The Green Bay Packers can do NOTHING without Aaron Rodgers.

Call me crazy but Rick Spielman, as of late, has been a much better GM than Ted Thompson has. That will ALWAYS be overlooked but when you sit down and think about it, it's as true as it gets. Spielman has built a defense that will always keep us in games no matter what our offense is doing. He's got a plethora of good RB's and WRs. A much improved OL with some good depth. Good TE and a stable of capable QBs. Compare all that to Green Bay's roster and it's not even close.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

A key part of that article was the ripping of the GM/HC for the repeated failures at developing talent and fielding competitive personnel. Outside of Mathews, Daniel, and maybe Dix, who has GB added? The WR look quite pedestrian without AROG. And what is worse, they drafted Rogers in 2006. Literally 11 drafts and they've found 3 or 4 guys that were worth keeping? UGLY is the word for that.

That being said, Rogers proves, once again, the in the NFL the elite QB is a lottery and all about luck more than anything else.

What is scary, is who is the next great QB that is coming up the ranks. Big Ben, Brady, Brees, and even Rogers at 34, are either at the end or entering the twilight of their careers. Who is the next up and coming elite passer? No way to say what will or will not be, but it seems like the league might be entering a different era where the difference in QB is closer. Then again, a new stud could emerge.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:A key part of that article was the ripping of the GM/HC for the repeated failures at developing talent and fielding competitive personnel. Outside of Mathews, Daniel, and maybe Dix, who has GB added? The WR look quite pedestrian without AROG. And what is worse, they drafted Rogers in 2006. Literally 11 drafts and they've found 3 or 4 guys that were worth keeping? UGLY is the word for that.

That being said, Rogers proves, once again, the in the NFL the elite QB is a lottery and all about luck more than anything else.

What is scary, is who is the next great QB that is coming up the ranks. Big Ben, Brady, Brees, and even Rogers at 34, are either at the end or entering the twilight of their careers. Who is the next up and coming elite passer? No way to say what will or will not be, but it seems like the league might be entering a different era where the difference in QB is closer. Then again, a new stud could emerge.
Exactly. Their drafting/free agency has been terrible. They are a grossly overrated franchise even though 90% of society would disagree with me but when you look at their roster its very obvious. The Lions are a better built team than them. But I just dont see another team anywhere near us in our division which is even more reason we should win it. The Lions D is good but same thing, if Stafford ever went down, they'd go back to the 0-16 Lions. No team has had a worse rushing offense than them the last few years. Their D is okay. But they arent a good team if their best player goes down either. We are. It's happened to us multiple times. AP, Cook, Teddy and Sam (even though the last two werent our "best players" they still were very valuable). But we have a roster that can back that up. These other teams dont. And thats why I will continue to be a Spielman supporter.

I think Wentz and Goff both have that potential. I thought Mariota and Winston but they both looked terrible this year. I think it's Wentz and Goff now. This year is proving that too. Both QBs are playing lights out.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Momentum is a big part of the play. We haven't seen any younger QB be consistently good to great for three seasons. 5 years ago everyone thought Dalton was the next big thing.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:Momentum is a big part of the play. We haven't seen any younger QB be consistently good to great for three seasons. 5 years ago everyone thought Dalton was the next big thing.
Very true. Wilson and Cam are always very up and down. Personally not a fan of either of them. Carr looked like the next big thing but his play fell off a bit this year
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Very true. Wilson and Cam are always very up and down. Personally not a fan of either of them. Carr looked like the next big thing but his play fell off a bit this year
Wentz probably just the closest thing. He could get hurt, you never know.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I said last year when we went through all our injuries woes that GB was awful without Rodgers. Some fans tried to blame Spielman and so on but we lost some monster pieces and still finished 8-8. GB loses Aaron Rodgers and they are a bottom 10 team in the NFL. When you lose players that valuable you dont really recover too easily unless a miracle hits.

It truly drives me nuts when fans/analysts, etc say how great of an organization the Packers are. And how good of a GM Thompson is. He's a good GM because he drafted a QB and let him sit behind Favre for years and now he's the best QB in the NFL? That makes him a "good" GM?? I remember when the Colts were fairly solid those first few years into drafting Luck. Everyone was saying how good of a GM Grigson was. Why?? Because they finished dead last the same year the next Peyton Manning was coming out of the draft?? That doesnt make you a good GM. Look where Grigson is now. FIRED. It just says you have common sense. Look how disgustingly horrid Indy's defense was under Grigson. It's still suffering terribly. Green Bay has struggled to draft legit players on the defensive side of the ball. Mike Daniels is very good. Matthews was good 5 years ago. Clinton Dix is ok. I mean outside of that recently, their defense doesnt really have much. They havent been able to find a RB in a long time and going into this year with Ty Montgomery was absolutely stupid. I could've told him that. Especially with a loaded RB class this year.

They have "good" WRs but how "good" are these WRs without Aaron Rodgers. Jordy Nelson, in the last 3 games hasnt eclipsed 60 yards and has zero touchdowns. Adams hasnt eclipsed 54 yards and has 1 TD vs us on a broken play. So how GOOD are these WRs?

The Packers organization in the last 8 years or so is grossly overrated. They would be a hot pile of garbage without Aaron Rodgers and it shows when he doesnt play.

We are 6-2 with a backup QB. We have won with Sam Bradford getting no offseason with this team in his first year. We've gotten to the playoffs with Teddy. The Green Bay Packers can do NOTHING without Aaron Rodgers.

Call me crazy but Rick Spielman, as of late, has been a much better GM than Ted Thompson has. That will ALWAYS be overlooked but when you sit down and think about it, it's as true as it gets. Spielman has built a defense that will always keep us in games no matter what our offense is doing. He's got a plethora of good RB's and WRs. A much improved OL with some good depth. Good TE and a stable of capable QBs. Compare all that to Green Bay's roster and it's not even close.
Agree 100%
:appl:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

mansquatch wrote:What is scary, is who is the next great QB that is coming up the ranks. Big Ben, Brady, Brees, and even Rogers at 34, are either at the end or entering the twilight of their careers. Who is the next up and coming elite passer?
He just tore his ACL.

Deshaun Watson. That guy is going to be special. Already is.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

https://twitter.com/espnnfl/status/506045042092285952

"A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog and a great quarterback, not necessarily in that order." - Bud Grant
Craig S
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Good win on the road after the bye,

Green Bay and the lions also won though.

The Bears lost and are a week closer to being
a top ten pick
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

jackal wrote:Good win on the road after the bye,

Green Bay and the lions also won though.

The Bears lost and are a week closer to being
a top ten pick
Both teams barely got out of their own way. If DeShone Kizer hadn't gone down, the Lions may have lost that game. And it certainly makes our game against the Browns look a whole lot better. The Browns aren't a good team, obviously. But they're an improving team.

Today was a good start to "five games for the Division Championship."
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.