Five games for Division Championship

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Five games for Division Championship

Post by jackal »

If we can win the next two games it might only
take four total including the Redskins.

I am hoping the Saints, Eagles, and Rams
cool off in the second half.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

We need Philly to toss a game or two. That will make things interesting. I doubt they'll go 15-1, they just do not see to be that good of a squad, but you never know.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

One interesting thing is the top teams all play each other in the rest of the season. The Rams play us, Philly, and New Orleans in the next few weeks. We play the Rams as well. The next four weeks will be very interesting.
Philly also plays in Seattle.
BTW the Saints have a very winnable schedule from here on out. Their hardest game will be in LA, and maybe against ATL.
I could see four teams with 12-4 records or better in the Nfc.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

mansquatch wrote:We need Philly to toss a game or two. That will make things interesting. I doubt they'll go 15-1, they just do not see to be that good of a squad, but you never know.
It's easy to be 8-1 when you have the easiest schedule so far in the NFC. While the Vikings have had the 3rd easiest in the NFC, the Rams are between the Vikings and Eagles.

SoS so far according to ESPN

Code: Select all

Philadelphia Eagles	0.398
Los Angeles Rams	0.398
Tennessee Titans	0.402
Seattle Seahawks	0.41
Dallas Cowboys	0.439
Pittsburgh Steelers	0.451
Arizona Cardinals	0.464
Minnesota Vikings	0.469
Indianapolis Colts	0.473
Buffalo Bills	0.476
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Raptorman wrote: It's easy to be 8-1 when you have the easiest schedule so far in the NFC. While the Vikings have had the 3rd easiest in the NFC, the Rams are between the Vikings and Eagles.

SoS so far according to ESPN

Philadelphia Eagles	0.398
Los Angeles Rams	0.398
Tennessee Titans	0.402
Seattle Seahawks	0.41
Dallas Cowboys	0.439
Pittsburgh Steelers	0.451
Arizona Cardinals	0.464
Minnesota Vikings	0.469
Indianapolis Colts	0.473
Buffalo Bills	0.476
I count 5 NFC teams above the Vikings. Typo, or am I not understanding?
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

DK Sweets wrote: I count 5 NFC teams above the Vikings. Typo, or am I not understanding?
No, The Eagles not only have the easiest schedule in the NFC, but also the NFL. Remember, this is the teams they played minus the the games from their own schedule. Example. Take the Vikings opponents records, add them up and subtract the Vikings record from that number. That should give you the number above, or something close. Not sure how ESPN does it.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The most complete and proven team on that list is the Steelers.

Bottom line, in looking at the standings, all three of the best teams with the best records in the NFC, the Vikings included, have played soft schedules. The next 4 weeks really look to tell us a lot about these squads.

I bet this will be a year where one of the teams playing a home game in the playoffs will be a pretender. Looks like my initial thoughts on the NFC South might have been off the mark, games against ATL and CAR should be given more weight. Right now that is the best conference in the NFC, potentially both wild cards team could come from there. This is a year where a team could get hot and run through the playoffs whether they be a #1 seed or #6 seed. Right now the difference between the top teams is marginal, there is no power house like last season.

Things are quite the opposite in the AFC where it once again likes like the AFCCG will be played between Ben and Tom. KC might off one of them for it's shot at the crown.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote:The most complete and proven team on that list is the Steelers.

Bottom line, in looking at the standings, all three of the best teams with the best records in the NFC, the Vikings included, have played soft schedules. The next 4 weeks really look to tell us a lot about these squads.

I bet this will be a year where one of the teams playing a home game in the playoffs will be a pretender. Looks like my initial thoughts on the NFC South might have been off the mark, games against ATL and CAR should be given more weight. Right now that is the best conference in the NFC, potentially both wild cards team could come from there. This is a year where a team could get hot and run through the playoffs whether they be a #1 seed or #6 seed. Right now the difference between the top teams is marginal, there is no power house like last season.

Things are quite the opposite in the AFC where it once again likes like the AFCCG will be played between Ben and Tom. KC might off one of them for it's shot at the crown.
The Steelers are not complete and proven. Their offense has slowly been fading. The Ravens have more points currently than the Steelers do. That's pathetic because the Ravens offense is awful. Big Ben is on a rapid decline. And I see him getting worse as the year goes on because his body is going to continue to get banged up. And lets be honest, the only reason they beat KC was because of a miracle catch. It was a terrible throw by Ben.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

mansquatch wrote:The most complete and proven team on that list is the Steelers.

I should post the bottom ten. Teams with the toughest schedule so far.

Carolina Panthers	0.527
	San Francisco 49ers	0.533
	Houston Texans	0.537
	Atlanta Falcons	0.542
	Tampa Bay Buccaneers	0.542
	Kansas City Chiefs	0.543
	Green Bay Packers	0.543
	New Orleans Saints	0.561
	Chicago Bears	0.61
	Washington Redskins	0.634
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm not a fan boy of PIT, I really dislike Tomlin, but they have recent credibility.

I'm not even sure if this year's Patriot's team is legit. The two best defensive teams they've played they ended up losing to. Now I know some will say what about Sunday's shellacking of Denver, but that defense is not playing at the level we've seen from them since 2015. The secondary in particular is not as dominant as it has been in the past. Then there was the ST...
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

mansquatch wrote:I really dislike Tomlin
I usually see a lot of praise for Tomlin, especially from those of us who remember how good he was as our defensive coordinator. Why do you dislike him?
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

DK Sweets wrote:I usually see a lot of praise for Tomlin, especially from those of us who remember how good he was as our defensive coordinator. Why do you dislike him?
I lost a lot of respect for him over his handling of his team during the national anthem controversy. I thought his position on the matter was poorly reasoned. So not football related, or at least it shouldn't be. Another fine example of why the NFL would be smart to eliminate anything and everything from it's product that could be construed as political. Also, the Mods keep politics off this board, so in the interest of that policy I'm not going to respond to any responses on my answer here. I only posted it because DK asked politely.

Football wise, the Steelers are IMO, one of the elite teams in the AFC and a likely candidate for a first round bye. I do see chinks in their armor as PHP oted the other day, but we are not really seeing any dominant teams in the AFC outside of NE and PIT at the moment. If the Vikings make it to the SB, I'd much prefer facing PIT vs. NE. Our defense proved it can play against that offense and Tomlin and staff are not in the same league as Belicik.

The next three teams are TEN, JAX, and BUF. All three are defensive teams with TEN probably having the most overall balance. I'm not sure any of them would beat NE/PIT in the playoffs though. We'll probably find out in 7 weeks or so.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

mansquatch wrote: Also, the Mods keep politics off this board, so in the interest of that policy I'm not going to respond to any responses on my answer here. I only posted it because DK asked politely.
FYI - If you want to discuss this kind of thing we've opened a politics section on the message board. We understand these things come up but we want to keep the football forums about football.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Thanks Cliff. My intent was to just answer his question and leave it at that. Just wanted to show respect to you guys since I knew in answering I'd be flirting with the line. Back to the Gridiron! :govikes:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

mansquatch wrote:Thanks Cliff. My intent was to just answer his question and leave it at that. Just wanted to show respect to you guys since I knew in answering I'd be flirting with the line. Back to the Gridiron! :govikes:
I appreciate that! Nothing you did was wrong or anything. I just wanted to make it known that if people do want to discuss this on the board they can. Just not in this forum.