2017 Training Camp Updates

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2017 Training Camp Updates

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote: I just don't see the big deal and certainly don't see unprecedented risk.
Not sure what Jim meant, but my interpretation was what was unprecedented about the risk was precisely taking someone from a league that has never produced a player of any talent whatsoever.

Also, I don't think it's a big deal either, but I do think it was an idiotic investment of an important resource. Clearly, your view is different and there's no changing it. I'm done with MOBO.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Not sure what Jim meant, but my interpretation was what was unprecedented about the risk was precisely taking someone from a league that has never produced a player of any talent whatsoever.

That's exactly what I meant and since no NFL team has ever drafted a GFL player before, it was obviously a correct use of the word unprecedented.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:

That's exactly what I meant and since no NFL team has ever drafted a GFL player before, it was obviously a correct use of the word unprecedented.
I don't think any of us care to spend a ton of energy on MoBo but just to clarify my point, the correct use would have been to say there is no precedent (noun) for drafting a GFL player. Saying the Vikings took unprecedented (adj) risk (noun) indicates the risk they took has never been done before. Given that teams take fliers on long shot players all the time, I didn't think there was unprecedented risk by drafted a low probability guy in the 6th. To me, the Herschel Walker trade would be an example of unprecedented risk. Drafting a woman would be a precedent. Hope that clarifies.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:I don't think any of us care to spend a ton of energy on MoBo but just to clarify my point, the correct use would have been to say there is no precedent (noun) for drafting a GFL player. Saying the Vikings took unprecedented (adj) risk (noun) indicates the risk they took has never been done before.
Yes, that's because this particular risk was unique and no team had taken it before. :)

Your point was clear the first time. Can we PLEASE drop this now?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: Yes, that's because this particular risk was unique and no team had taken it before. :)

Your point was clear the first time. Can we PLEASE drop this now?
But Jim, his measurables. Have we discussed them yet? More. All energy devoted to this. There is nothing else.

(The Legend of MoBo shall never die)
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: But Jim, his measurables. Have we discussed them yet? More. All energy devoted to this. There is nothing else.

(The Legend of MoBo shall never die)
:lol:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Maybe Jim is MoBo? [emoji32]

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Gedeon got the start this past week over Robinson and Lamur. Zimmer was impressed with what he did. Looks like that could be a much better pick than many thought.

For not having a first round pick, I'm really liking this draft class. Cook is cook, Elflein looks to be a solid OL, Jaleel Johnson has impressed along with Gedeon. Coley has looked good. Bower as an UDFA. Seems like we've gotten a lot of hits in this draft class
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Gedeon got the start this past week over Robinson and Lamur. Zimmer was impressed with what he did. Looks like that could be a much better pick than many thought.

For not having a first round pick, I'm really liking this draft class. Cook is cook, Elflein looks to be a solid OL, Jaleel Johnson has impressed along with Gedeon. Coley has looked good. Bower as an UDFA. Seems like we've gotten a lot of hits in this draft class
I agree......really pulling for Bower. Seems like he totally fits the bill as far as length, power, and speed. I hope he can put it together and be a Hunter V2.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Gedeon got the start this past week over Robinson and Lamur. Zimmer was impressed with what he did. Looks like that could be a much better pick than many thought.

I just worry about Gedeon's coverage ability, he definitely has a nose for the ball. I wonder if they would consider moving him to mike and Kendricks outside in base 43 defense.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote: I just worry about Gedeon's coverage ability, he definitely has a nose for the ball. I wonder if they would consider moving him to mike and Kendricks outside in base 43 defense.
I like the idea but I'm sure that option is out. We would've seen that experiment by now. I think Gedeon will play the Greenway role in base and sub out in nickel (where most defenses play the majority of the time these days).

Definitely some bright spots from this year's rookie class.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

PurpleMustReign wrote:What bothers me more is how the Vikings scouting team thought enough of him to spend a pick on him when he is now as far behind as he reportedly is.
My thoughts exactly.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Easton or Elflein at center? Hasan breaks it down.

http://zonecoverage.com/2017/vikings/ev ... ck-easton/