Peterson headed to free agency

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Peterson headed to free agency

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:It's official. Peterson is a Saint.
Did the Catholic church weigh in on that? ;)

I hope he has a great season.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I will be very interested to see how he performs.
I would assume that the Saints have a better Ol then we have ( who doesn't?) but then again it seems like I watched their QB get knocked around pretty frequently.
I can just imagine all the pitchforks that will be out in the streets of Minneapolis if AP has an epic season!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Saints are going RB committee and I don't expect Peterson to be the leader of the committee. Ingram is no Peterson in his prime but he rushed for 1,043 yards last year and caught 46 passes for another 319 yards. Peterson is goal line/short yardage and insurance, I think, unless Ingram can't stay healthy or Peterson outplays him which is a possibility.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I hope he has 15 good games for the Saints
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:Saints are going RB committee and I don't expect Peterson to be the leader of the committee. Ingram is no Peterson in his prime but he rushed for 1,043 yards last year and caught 46 passes for another 319 yards. Peterson is goal line/short yardage and insurance, I think, unless Ingram can't stay healthy or Peterson outplays him which is a possibility.
I wonder if the roles will be that specialized or if they will use them as more of a one-two punch. It will be interesting.

The Vikes had better get their run defense ready for week 1.
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

I really hope that Peterson doesn't get the better of us week one (aside from that i hope that he has a good rest of his career). I have a feeling that there are a lot of players on our defense that are very eager for the opportunity to hit Peterson.
Formerly AADPFan
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Mothman wrote: I wonder if the roles will be that specialized or if they will use them as more of a one-two punch. It will be interesting.

The Vikes had better get their run defense ready for week 1.
I was thinking the same thing. I have a feeling they are going to run a lot of hurry-up and score 40 pts/game. If that's the case, Ingram and AP will both get close to 20 touches a game.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

cmoss84 wrote: I was thinking the same thing. I have a feeling they are going to run a lot of hurry-up and score 40 pts/game. If that's the case, Ingram and AP will both get close to 20 touches a game.
The Saints will probably use them as a one-two punch. That said, they utilize a lot of shotgun sets, which means AD might end up being their power back in regular sets.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

It might be a "one-two punch" situation but I don't expect it to be 50-50. Ingram is a better pass catcher and Peterson is ranked bottom 10 in pass blocking by PFF over a 3 year period (and isn't very good in pass protection via the eye test either). These are particularly important attributes for a passing team like the Saints.

This article expresses what I think the Saints see in Peterson;

The NFL is a passing league you say? Not at the goal line in 2016.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fan ... 9411dc11c0
The NFL is known for its ability to adapt to new and emerging trends in play-calling, so who knows how long the rushing resurgence lasts, but for now, if you need to convert at the goal line, running the ball in is your best bet.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Wish the Vikings could have worked something out and he could have retired with them.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:It might be a "one-two punch" situation but I don't expect it to be 50-50.
Probably not but that's not what I meant to suggest. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
This article expresses what I think the Saints see in Peterson;

The NFL is a passing league you say? Not at the goal line in 2016.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fan ... 9411dc11c0
I can't read the article. I've used up my free reading at the Post site for this month. :(
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote:I can't read the article. I've used up my free reading at the Post site for this month. :(
It gives some stats that show teams had more success running the ball in from the goal line and other short yardage situations than in recent history;
This year, teams are converting 66 percent of power opportunities into first downs or touchdowns, the highest rate in almost a decade.
I expect the Saints brought him in partially because of that trend. He should still be excellent in those situations and as a change of pace.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: It gives some stats that show teams had more success running the ball in from the goal line and other short yardage situations than in recent history;
I expect the Saints brought him in partially because of that trend. He should still be excellent in those situations and as a change of pace.
Thanks for the info.

That seems likely.

I expect creativity and flexibility from them.
PulseOfTheFan
Waterboy

Post by PulseOfTheFan »

Ending of an era in Minnesota. To me, there have been three eras over the last 20 years. The Randy Moss/Cris Carter fun and gun era, the riverboat/not that great on the field era, and the Adrian Peterson era.

What is the next era?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

At least it isn't the Packers, that would be all sorts of wrong.