Do we bring Captain Munnerlyn back?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Do we bring Captain Munnerlyn back?

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

chicagopurple wrote:I agree. I just hope they dont over spend because he is one of Zims besties.....
I don't see him overspending on a 29 year old nickel corner
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Keep him if you can afford him.

1. He knows the system and how Zimmer wants his DBs to play.
2. He plays well in the system, especially at nickel.
3. He provides depth at the outside corner if necessary.
4. Waynes is ready to play; Alexander is not.
5. He seems to like playing in Minnesota and is a great teammate.

If he wants you to back up the Brinks Truck, then no.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

no
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Boon wrote:no
May I ask why??
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: May I ask why??
In order to "keep the window open" you need to phase out older guys with younger guys. That would be my argument for moving on. Since I don't think the window is open anyway without the development of a truly elite defense next year, I'd suggest moving on and building for the future.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: In order to "keep the window open" you need to phase out older guys with younger guys. That would be my argument for moving on. Since I don't think the window is open anyway without the development of a truly elite defense next year, I'd suggest moving on and building for the future.
But my thing is, what is Munnerlyn preventing us from doing? It's not like his contract is going to be so big its going to prevent us from signing guys. We have Alexander for insurance. Keeping him doesnt hurt us. Losing him very well could if Alexander isnt ready enough. Plus, we already have Greenway gone, Robison has maybe a year or two left, and now we should phase out Munnerlyn too? It's good to have a few vets on the team.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
But my thing is, what is Munnerlyn preventing us from doing? It's not like his contract is going to be so big its going to prevent us from signing guys. We have Alexander for insurance. Keeping him doesnt hurt us. Losing him very well could if Alexander isnt ready enough. Plus, we already have Greenway gone, Robison has maybe a year or two left, and now we should phase out Munnerlyn too? It's good to have a few vets on the team.
Player development.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Player development.
So Trae Waynes sitting behind Newman prevented his development?? Looks to me like it was the complete opposite
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: So Trae Waynes sitting behind Newman prevented his development?? Looks to me like it was the complete opposite
Waynes seems pretty mentally fragile, so that may have been the best approach for him. No one size fits all, but hard to develop without snaps.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
Waynes seems pretty mentally fragile, so that may have been the best approach for him. No one size fits all, but hard to develop without snaps.
That's a pretty bold assumption. Either way, Munnerlyn provides quality depth. Here is the thing, if we let Munnerlyn walk and Alexander starts, what in the world is our plan if Alexander went down?? We need to re-sign Cap and let him and Alexander compete for the starting nickel. We should be doing exactly what Zim did with B-Rob. As his play dipped, you conserved his energy and went with the younger talent in Hunter. And look at the year B-Rob had. Same thing he did with Newman and Waynes. Newman started all last year and this year Waynes played way more.

So no I dont think "phasing out the veterans" is the right approach. By not phasing out the veterans, it provides us with that much more depth and options. If Cap wanted a huge contract, then let him walk. But I can just about guarantee that at 29 going on 30, he isnt going to be asking for a whole lot. It's a no brainer to keep him. Especially if Newman retires. Because if that happens, all we have is Waynes and Rhodes and if either of them went down, Alexander could play outside too. So we wouldnt be affected that much if Munnerlyn was still here.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: That's a pretty bold assumption. Either way, Munnerlyn provides quality depth. Here is the thing, if we let Munnerlyn walk and Alexander starts, what in the world is our plan if Alexander went down?? We need to re-sign Cap and let him and Alexander compete for the starting nickel. We should be doing exactly what Zim did with B-Rob. As his play dipped, you conserved his energy and went with the younger talent in Hunter. And look at the year B-Rob had. Same thing he did with Newman and Waynes. Newman started all last year and this year Waynes played way more.

So no I dont think "phasing out the veterans" is the right approach. By not phasing out the veterans, it provides us with that much more depth and options. If Cap wanted a huge contract, then let him walk. But I can just about guarantee that at 29 going on 30, he isnt going to be asking for a whole lot. It's a no brainer to keep him. Especially if Newman retires. Because if that happens, all we have is Waynes and Rhodes and if either of them went down, Alexander could play outside too. So we wouldnt be affected that much if Munnerlyn was still here.
Well its fine with me either way, I don't much care. You asked for a reason why someone didn't want to bring him back, and I attempted to provide one that seems legitimate. If they want to bring him back, I think they should.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins