Vikings Grades: Wide receiver

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:Frankly, I think they need to move on from Johnson.

I don't think the WR play has been bad but it hasn't been outstanding either. They could certainly use a bigger difference-maker at the position. What they might need most of all is a red zone threat because outside of Rudolph, nobody else in the passing game has really established themselves in that department. If Treadwell's going to step up in 2017, it would be nice to see him do it in that area.
Yes definitely let Johnson walk. He was more of a "Norv guy" I think so it wouldnt surprise me if he was gone

As for a red zone threat, thats one thing Treadwell is "suppose to be" and did well in college. I don't think we need to go fishing for a red zone threat until you see what you have in Treadwell
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I don't think the WR play has been bad but it hasn't been outstanding either. They could certainly use a bigger difference-maker at the position. What they might need most of all is a red zone threat because outside of Rudolph, nobody else in the passing game has really established themselves in that department. If Treadwell's going to step up in 2017, it would be nice to see him do it in that area.
Interesting take, Jim, but I believe nothing on the offense has been outstanding. OTOH, some of it has been dreadful, such as the pitiful performance in the trenches. I can't help but believe if the offensive line is ever fixed, then we'll see an upswing in performance from all the skill players, including the receivers. Then there might be something outstanding in the passing game.

Anyway, all this speculating has to do with a lot of "ifs." The ifs can only be answered by the Vikings GM, coaches and staff. They're the ones who must prioritize the needs and get it right when it comes to the OL. As incredible as it is to believe, they missed the need last time.
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

This is one position where I think they can afford to hold serve and invest resources elsewhere. Diggs is an excellent receiver in a timing offense, Thielen has proven to be quite reliable, and Wright brings a speed element. Treadwell didn't exactly thrive year one, but he's talented and clearly they aren't going to move on or try again so soon. Johnson is a reasonable 4th/5th option with some big play potential. At most, I'd look for a returner with YAC skills later on in the draft. Isaiah McKenzie from UGA would be good. Not sure where he's projected to go.
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

They invested in the guy who should become the RZ weapon last year. If Treadwell's game is anything, it's that. Now we have to hope it pays off, because in my opinion this team doesn't have he luxury of investing in another similar player with premium resources. This is especially true given the lack of a 1st round pick and the needs along the OL.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Banquo wrote:This is one position where I think they can afford to hold serve and invest resources elsewhere. Diggs is an excellent receiver in a timing offense, Thielen has proven to be quite reliable, and Wright brings a speed element. Treadwell didn't exactly thrive year one, but he's talented and clearly they aren't going to move on or try again so soon. Johnson is a reasonable 4th/5th option with some big play potential. At most, I'd look for a returner with YAC skills later on in the draft. Isaiah McKenzie from UGA would be good. Not sure where he's projected to go.
I wouldn't bother with a returner. The Vikings presently have the best in the league with Patterson. Re-sign him and the team has yet another speed element plus a 3rd option with big play potential, who is ultimately more valuable than Johnson.
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

losperros wrote: I wouldn't bother with a returner. The Vikings presently have the best in the league with Patterson. Re-sign him and the team has yet another speed element plus a 3rd option with big play potential, who is ultimately more valuable than Johnson.
Well sure, if you kept Patterson then that's all taken care of. But do you think they will? Seems to me that someone might be willing to pay up for the return skills and assure him that they'll incorporate him more into their offense. But year, keeping him would be great.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Banquo wrote: Well sure, if you kept Patterson then that's all taken care of. But do you think they will? Seems to me that someone might be willing to pay up for the return skills and assure him that they'll incorporate him more into their offense. But year, keeping him would be great.
Patterson is such an all-around player (returner, punt gunner, WR, can run out of the backfield) for the team that I think there's a 50/50 chance he comes back. He wants to play for the Vikings. Besides, the offense needs all the help it can get and Patterson's kick returns give them good field position to start a drive.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I'm really starting to question where everyone is coming up with "crappy WR play"?? We had two WRs near 1000 yards. Diggs would have hit it if he didnt get hurt. Plus we had a TE near 1000. Just because we don't have a Deandre Hopkins on this team doesnt mean we have bad WRs or need to find a guy like that. Diggs, Thielen, Patterson and Treadwell waiting is a good receiving core. Everyone is worried about being like everybody else and having some elite WR. We have 2 WRs on our roster that are probably better than any WR on the Patriots. They don't have a true #1. Granted they have Brady but point being, you don't need some stud #1 to have a good WR group. We don't even know what we have in Treadwell.
This is exactly right.