Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay cut

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by mansquatch »

fiestavike wrote: I wonder what Peterson thinks his market value is at this point.

That is the key question.

AP not having his $18 option picked up is no shock to anyone. Whether he remains a vikings depends on what he thinks he is worth vs. NFL GMs. Another factor is if he thinks he can make a run at a title on a different team.

Right now, of the 4 teams who played in the Conference Championships only the Packers lack a set starter at RB. The local news up here is chatting that up, but Ben Leber made a cast that given what GB does in the deep passing game and how much Rogers takes snaps from Shotgun, AP probably isn't the best fit for them. HOU on the other hand might be a different story, but then AP goes to a team similar to the Vikings, but with a worse QB situation.

We'll know soon enough.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mansquatch wrote:
That is the key question.

AP not having his $18 option picked up is no shock to anyone. Whether he remains a vikings depends on what he thinks he is worth vs. NFL GMs. Another factor is if he thinks he can make a run at a title on a different team.

Right now, of the 4 teams who played in the Conference Championships only the Packers lack a set starter at RB. The local news up here is chatting that up, but Ben Leber made a cast that given what GB does in the deep passing game and how much Rogers takes snaps from Shotgun, AP probably isn't the best fit for them. HOU on the other hand might be a different story, but then AP goes to a team similar to the Vikings, but with a worse QB situation.

We'll know soon enough.
Didn't Houston just spend a good deal of money on Lamar Miller? Its not easy to come up with a match for his services that makes a ton of sense.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

That could be.

Another likely landing spot is SEA. He would be a nice replacement for Lynch whom they miss, and with their defense they could make a SB run. I think SEA or MN are his two most likely landing spots unless he just goes for the biggest payday.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Didn't Houston just spend a good deal of money on Lamar Miller? Its not easy to come up with a match for his services that makes a ton of sense.
I think several playoff teams from last season might make logical landing spots for him if the Vikings don't re-sign him: the Broncos, Giants, Raiders and Packers. The Seahawks might be interested too and Tampa Bay just missed the playoffs but they have the cap room and could be another potential spot for Peterson.

There are teams that could use him. It will just depend on how they decide to approach the position, what they're willing to pay and what he's willing to accept (both financially and in terms of his role with a team).
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I think several playoff teams from last season might make logical landing spots for him if the Vikings don't re-sign him: the Broncos, Giants, Raiders and Packers. The Seahawks might be interested too and Tampa Bay just missed the playoffs but they have the cap room and could be another potential spot for Peterson.

There are teams that could use him. It will just depend on how they decide to approach the position, what they're willing to pay and what he's willing to accept (both financially and in terms of his role with a team).
I agree, Jim.

Even Jerry Jones has indicated some interest in AD and the Cowboys are already strong at RB. Admittedly, given Peterson's age and more shotgun sets by NFL offenses, he may not be used as a #1 RB at this point. However, as a complement RB not carrying the entire offensive load, I believe he could still be formidable.

If AD takes less money, I think he'll get signed fairly quickly.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

allday1991 wrote:Yay we got 40 million we will do nothing with, miss out of the best F/A on the spot we need just to settle for another B- type player like Boone. Because we rebuild through the draft! Another year of a non-existent running game yay! This Franchise better have a few surprises this year after a season like the last...
Way to stay positive :thumbsup: A lot of good insight here
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

THis draft seems to have more potential good RBs then Ol men......We need both.
I have a lot more hope that we find a solid RB who can grind it out AND pass block then our odds of finding 3 good guys at OL......OL is by far the more critical need just to ensure the survival of our QB and to allow for the possibility of improvement.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: I think several playoff teams from last season might make logical landing spots for him if the Vikings don't re-sign him: the Broncos, Giants, Raiders and Packers. The Seahawks might be interested too and Tampa Bay just missed the playoffs but they have the cap room and could be another potential spot for Peterson.

Tampa Bay and Oakland seem like the best bets if he wants to be a feature back. The guy is bad out of the shotgun, and between that and (I assume) not wanting to be a backup, it just doesn't leave a deep pool of options. Like losperros said, If he'll take less money or a smaller role I could see his market increasing.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

I say get the best bargain in the draft: Joe Mixon. Extraordinary talent both running and receiving...made for the shotgun offense.

Granted his ONLY black mark is the incident three years ago in Norman. Temper that with the fact he's a good student from a very good family. And what would you do if a woman started popping you in the face with her fists...flame away.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I heard 'rumors' that AD could fall to the 10 million dollar mark. This was just a word of mouth and probably just someones idea of not letting AD go, but would AD be worth it to us for 10 mil? I think AD is thinking of maybe knocking off a million or 2, not 8. Sad thing is, I dont know if I'd even want him for 8.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

He is just not worth investing in. He cannot be on the field for passing plays, Therefore he forces you to telegraphing your plays, He is really beat up. Unlikely to play a whole season.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I heard 'rumors' that AD could fall to the 10 million dollar mark. This was just a word of mouth and probably just someones idea of not letting AD go, but would AD be worth it to us for 10 mil? I think AD is thinking of maybe knocking off a million or 2, not 8. Sad thing is, I dont know if I'd even want him for 8.
I still contend he will get more money here than anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Really hope we re-sign Peterson but I don't want the team to get into a bidding war either.

Also, hell no to Latvaius Murray. He isn't worth the money he wants.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Why would this team want an old one dimensional back at all? Should have traded him years ago when he had actual value. :wallbang:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

chicagopurple wrote:THis draft seems to have more potential good RBs then Ol men......We need both.
I have a lot more hope that we find a solid RB who can grind it out AND pass block then our odds of finding 3 good guys at OL......OL is by far the more critical need just to ensure the survival of our QB and to allow for the possibility of improvement.
Yeah the OL class isn't overly strong. However, a lot of that media stuff is based on the first round. There aren't a lot of first round OL. But I like the 2-4 round guys. Some good potential in those rounds. But yeah, the RB class is loaded. Another reason I want Perine. He's a grinder/workhorse that is a pretty solid pass blocker, partly in due to his stature and strength. Didnt catch a ton of balls but seems to have fairly reliable hands.

As for the OL in general, FA is fairly deep for OL. Especially at the guard position. A big sleeper that I like is OG Patrick Omemeh. He was at Tampa this year. Has had solid grades from PFF for a few years now and was never on very good lines in Tampa and Jacksonville. Could come fairly cheap too and would be a plug and play at RG.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri