Offensive Coordinator

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Offensive Coordinator

Post by Mothman »

autobon7 wrote: Hard to believe he was not retained.....I could see him landing in LA or Cleveland or even Indy

I'm pretty stunned that they're not renewing his contract but he could land in any of the places you just mentioned.

Just in case anybody is wondering, my post above was only meant to be taken half-seriously. I realize there was little to no chance the Vikings would have hired Musgrave to be their new OC even if the job was still open and I'm also aware that many fans wouldn't want him back.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

On the surface that is surprising, but it really begs the question of "what do we not know?" The Raiders have an elite offense. Why mess with it? Why are they letting Musgrave go in favor of the QB coach? Maybe Carr has something to do with it? Maybe the owner is stupid? Maybe the QB Coach had more to do with the success than we realize?

Musgrave's next spot may tell the story...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:On the surface that is surprising, but it really begs the question of "what do we not know?" The Raiders have an elite offense. Why mess with it? Why are they letting Musgrave go in favor of the QB coach?

According to reports, it's because the QB coach was getting offers to go elsewhere. He's an up and coming young coach and I'm guessing they value him and his relationship with Carr enough that they didn't want to lose him to an OC job elsewhere.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:Here's an option that I guess is out now that Shurmur has been promoted: former Vikings OC Bill Musgrave is out in Oakland after coordinating the Raiders offense into the top 10 (they were ranked dead last in the league the year before he took over). Apparently, his contract was up and the Raiders aren't going to renew it, reportedly choosing to promote QB coach Todd Downing into the position. From what I've reading, it was an 'either/or' scenario, with Downing likely to leave for a coordinator job if he didn't get a promotion.

I think Musgrave was under-appreciated in Minnesota but after the job he didn't in Oakland, I imagine he'll have no trouble finding another position.
I'm not a fan of Musgrave, his offense here was equally unimaginative and often called for 2 TE sets (not the Vikings strength right now). A lot of people used to make fun of his tiny play call sheet and while that has no bearing on his ability to call plays, I think it's a good analogy as to his style. The Raiders offense fell apart when Carr went down, I imagine they think they have something in Downing and are probably making the right move.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mansquatch wrote:On the surface that is surprising, but it really begs the question of "what do we not know?" The Raiders have an elite offense. Why mess with it? Why are they letting Musgrave go in favor of the QB coach? Maybe Carr has something to do with it? Maybe the owner is stupid? Maybe the QB Coach had more to do with the success than we realize?

Musgrave's next spot may tell the story...
Musgrave will find work. And yes, the next job will tell us something. I get the feeling he'll land on his feet.

FWIW, Jim is right about the Raiders being crazy about QB coach Todd Downing. So I imagine it had a lot to do with their final decision. OTOH, let's not forget Coach Del Rio fired Musgrave after two seasons in Jacksonville, too. Maybe they just don't get along.

Regarding Musgrave while he was with the Vikings, he wasn't perfect but the guy knew how to utilize the skill talent.
Last edited by losperros on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

autobon7 wrote: Not really sure what WR "mess" you are referring to.....we almost had 2 guys with 1000 yard seasons and Patterson was working his way into quality touches and had 453 himself. It is a bit worrisome that LT only had 1 catch but truthfully we really didn't need him as AT stepped up plus we got good production out of the TE position (97% was Rudolph) which combined was another 900+ receiving yards. I believe the team would have been better served if we would have went OL instead of Treadwell. I'm just not seeing any "mess". Johnson can be let go but Wright is also a quality receiver who was hampered by injury......I'm seeing a very solid group and definitely not a position of need.
Was about to say something very similar
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Was about to say something very similar
So was I. The Vikings WR corps are in good shape. With Sam Bradford as the QB and receivers Diggs, Thielen and Patterson on the field (not to mention TE Rudolph), I believe the Vikings can get a formidable passing attack going if the OL does its job.

I also hope they keep Wright. He's a good receiver, quick and elusive, and gets open.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

losperros wrote: So was I. The Vikings WR corps are in good shape. With Sam Bradford as the QB and receivers Diggs, Thielen and Patterson on the field (not to mention TE Rudolph), I believe the Vikings can get a formidable passing attack going if the OL does its job.

I also hope they keep Wright. He's a good receiver, quick and elusive, and gets open.
We also have a guy like Treadwell that's waiting for his chance. As for Wright, I've always liked him but I don't want to keep him at that salary. If we release him we save 2.6. Although I would much rather trade him for a late round pick and get something out of him
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri