Colts @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 15

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Colts @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 15

Post by Cliff »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Very true :!:
It would also be nice to have a quarter by quarter breakdown. The Vikings offense held the ball for a ridiculously low amount of time in the first half of this game, for example. The final TOP/Number of plays is skewed as the Colts were willing to let them hold the ball and run out the clock at the end of the game. At least in my opinion. I don't think it's coincidence that an older vet like Greenway was one of the first to show the obvious signs of the fatigue.

There's the physical toll that it takes and also the mental toll of watching the offense waste the chances the defense *do* give them. Once the team is down by more than 10 points it's over anyway. The offense can't regularly overcome that kind of deficit. It's demoralizing for me so I can only imagine what the defensive players feel in the moment.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Cliff wrote: It would also be nice to have a quarter by quarter breakdown. The Vikings offense held the ball for a ridiculously low amount of time in the first half of this game, for example. The final TOP/Number of plays is skewed as the Colts were willing to let them hold the ball and run out the clock at the end of the game. At least in my opinion. I don't think it's coincidence that an older vet like Greenway was one of the first to show the obvious signs of the fatigue.

There's the physical toll that it takes and also the mental toll of watching the offense waste the chances the defense *do* give them. Once the team is down by more than 10 points it's over anyway. The offense can't regularly overcome that kind of deficit. It's demoralizing for me so I can only imagine what the defensive players feel in the moment.
Well I do know that this last game we had 3 or 4 three and outs, an INT and a fumble all in the first half. Defense didnt play great by any means but at the same time, that offense gave them 0 help
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Cliff wrote: It would also be nice to have a quarter by quarter breakdown. The Vikings offense held the ball for a ridiculously low amount of time in the first half of this game, for example. The final TOP/Number of plays is skewed as the Colts were willing to let them hold the ball and run out the clock at the end of the game. At least in my opinion. I don't think it's coincidence that an older vet like Greenway was one of the first to show the obvious signs of the fatigue.

I don't think anyone would deny that the offensive struggles have hurt the defense this year. But the Colts shredded the defense the first 2 series of the game for long drives and the defense shouldn't be tired at that point in the game (if they were then it is a conditioning problem). I can see where the defense would tire out in the 2nd half from being on the field so long in the first half, but that shouldn't be an excuse for what happened the first half, even if the offense didn't do anything.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Purple Reign wrote: I don't think anyone would deny that the offensive struggles have hurt the defense this year. But the Colts shredded the defense the first 2 series of the game for long drives and the defense shouldn't be tired at that point in the game (if they were then it is a conditioning problem). I can see where the defense would tire out in the 2nd half from being on the field so long in the first half, but that shouldn't be an excuse for what happened the first half, even if the offense didn't do anything.
There is no doubt the defense didn't do its job against the Colts. That's why I think we're beginning to witness a total team meltdown. The D didn't even look as if it was trying at times, which I find startling. What was that? Bad schemes? Players giving up? Both? I don't know.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

losperros wrote: There is no doubt the defense didn't do its job against the Colts. That's why I think we're beginning to witness a total team meltdown. The D didn't even look as if it was trying at times, which I find startling. What was that? Bad schemes? Players giving up? Both? I don't know.
Don't get me wrong, the defense didn't play well out of the gate but there was also never a real chance for them to rebound. They kept getting put in bad positions outside of the damage they did to themselves.

It was definitely a team loss. Even the normally reliable special teams didn't do a good job that game. :hitfan:
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I noticed that Minnesota's time of possession in the first half was 6 minutes and 28 seconds, this was the shortest time of possession in a half in the entire NFL this year.Does anyone think that the D maybe was worn out?
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Husker Vike wrote:I noticed that Minnesota's time of possession in the first half was 6 minutes and 28 seconds, this was the shortest time of possession in a half in the entire NFL this year.Does anyone think that the D maybe was worn out?
You are kind of late to the party - we have been discussing this for a while now. The first 2 drives of the game for the Colts were long drives - was the defense worn out before they even started the game? The defense should not get worn out in the first half. Obviously other factors were more to blame.