Rick Spielman, what should the Vikes do with him

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Rick Spielman, what should the Vikes do with him

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: They had Smith, Loadholt and Clemmings competing for that spot. Not an awful plan when Clemmings is 3rd string
Loadholt was never competing, he was just a longshot to ever be able to play again.

Smith had been terrible for his previous team and even healthy he would have been terrible.

Clemmings is Clemmings. I'd say no thanks to all 3 of those "options" at RT. What a competition! :lol:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I think that I would spend the offseason working Beavers at LT, Boone at LG, Easton at C, Shepherd at RG, and Sirles at RT.

I would keep Berger and maybe Fusco as interior depth. I would offer a backup contract to Jake Long and Kalil. I would see what Harris is doing and if he wants to play football still. If so, he's probably the RT !

I would target and land a LT, a OG, and another OT in FA.
Guys like Riley Reiff, Ricky Wagner, Jonathan Cooper, Ronald Leary, and other guys that play and will be looking for a new payday or a change of scenery.

Draft I would look to OT Chad Wheeler, Avery Gennesy, Conor McDermott, and Dan Skipper. OG like Zachary Banner, Taylor Moton, Dorian Johnson, Pat Elfein, and Tyrone Crowder. I would not settle for less than 2 of these guys.

I would have an abundance....
To do this, we have to cut the salaries of expiring contracts and restructure team unfriendly deals like AD.
With a much improved OL, we have to consider if Bradford is THE GUY or TB if healthy? Or someone not on the rooster yet ?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

IIsweet wrote:I think that I would spend the offseason working Beavers at LT, Boone at LG, Easton at C, Shepherd at RG, and Sirles at RT.

I would keep Berger and maybe Fusco as interior depth. I would offer a backup contract to Jake Long and Kalil. I would see what Harris is doing and if he wants to play football still. If so, he's probably the RT !

I would target and land a LT, a OG, and another OT in FA.
Guys like Riley Reiff, Ricky Wagner, Jonathan Cooper, Ronald Leary, and other guys that play and will be looking for a new payday or a change of scenery.

Draft I would look to OT Chad Wheeler, Avery Gennesy, Conor McDermott, and Dan Skipper. OG like Zachary Banner, Taylor Moton, Dorian Johnson, Pat Elfein, and Tyrone Crowder. I would not settle for less than 2 of these guys.

I would have an abundance....
To do this, we have to cut the salaries of expiring contracts and restructure team unfriendly deals like AD.
With a much improved OL, we have to consider if Bradford is THE GUY or TB if healthy? Or someone not on the rooster yet ?
There's that damn rooster again! :point:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Major League 2 reference, I believe
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: Kalil and Smith will be next years Sully and Loadholt. They are both done as NFL players. Sirles probably starts next year as RT. Clemmings needs to be jettisoned. They'll have no answer for LT but probably will overpay for another dud out of desperation. Probably NFC north cellar dwellars next year.
So basically other than complaining, you have nothing meaningful to contribute.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

S197 wrote:So looking forward, what would everyone like to see?

Do we bring Kalil back? Smith?

I think we're relatively okay at C. Berger is old but Easton seems like he can hold is own. Between the two, I think we have a starter and depth player. I think Boone is okay at LG. That leaves RG and the two tackles. I think at this point we have to assume Harris is not an option since we simply don't know what's going on. We can certainly find a good guard and likely a RT in rounds 2 or 3.

I'm thinking big splash in FA for a LT, with Kalil or Smith as depth. Draft a LG and RT. Clemmings/Beavers/Sirles will be backups.

Thoughts?
I want the line gutted.

Now, that isn't going to happen - nor is it feasible. But holy hell, I couldn't care less if I ever saw a single one of our current starting lineman play another down for us.

I want Kalil resigned. There simply isn't a great option out there at LT. I want Riley Reiff on this team as the RT. I would love to see Kevin Zeitler or Chance Warmack brought in at guard as well.

If at least three offensive linemen are not drafted this year I'll be highly disappointed.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: I will laugh when next year Kalil and Smith are injured and you are saying "if it weren't for the injuries, the vikings would have at least won 5 games this season!"
Kalil has been banged up lately but he didnt miss a game up until this year if I am correct. But ok. And I said we should let Smith walk so I'm not even sure why you are bringing him up. He's in a contract year too.

What are we suppose to do?? Let both OTs go without a first round pick?? Yeah makes a lot of sense :confused:

We are forced to resign one IMO and it should be Kalil if anyone because he's younger and its harder to find a legit LT when you're out of the first round or in free agency for that matter.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

Hi new here. O line is terrible that's obvious but I think the problem is Soprano or scheme. O line play doesn't change much dive plays, traps and pass blocking are fairly universal, they are not getting coached up. Ditch Tony Sparano and Clemmings ASAP.

SKOL!!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: So basically other than complaining, you have nothing meaningful to contribute.
:point:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: So basically other than complaining, you have nothing meaningful to contribute.
Touché sir :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Holzberg
Practice Squad

Post by Holzberg »

One thing to consider if they keep any of the OL is that if they don't perform well next year, then the front office will look incompetent for bringing the player(s) back after how poorly they were this year. That would not look good and may end a coach's and/or gm's career with the Vikings.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

S197 wrote:So looking forward, what would everyone like to see?

Do we bring Kalil back? Smith?

I think we're relatively okay at C. Berger is old but Easton seems like he can hold is own. Between the two, I think we have a starter and depth player. I think Boone is okay at LG. That leaves RG and the two tackles. I think at this point we have to assume Harris is not an option since we simply don't know what's going on. We can certainly find a good guard and likely a RT in rounds 2 or 3.

I'm thinking big splash in FA for a LT, with Kalil or Smith as depth. Draft a LG and RT. Clemmings/Beavers/Sirles will be backups.

Thoughts?
I think you go after Andrew Whitworth and if you can't sign him you go to Kalil. I also think they should go after Ron Leary at guard. Maybe you sign Smith to another 1 year contract and you let him compete with Sirles. Either way you'll need to draft a Tackle and a center. While Berger is playing well he's on the wrong side of 30 and developing someone behind him would be smart. What the Vikings have to do better at is scouting. Beavers and Clemmings seem to have been bad picks, which means either they were evaluated to high during the scouting process or coaches wrongly believed they could correct their flaws.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

MrPurplenGold wrote: I think you go after Andrew Whitworth and if you can't sign him you go to Kalil. I also think they should go after Ron Leary at guard. Maybe you sign Smith to another 1 year contract and you let him compete with Sirles. Either way you'll need to draft a Tackle and a center. While Berger is playing well he's on the wrong side of 30 and developing someone behind him would be smart. What the Vikings have to do better at is scouting. Beavers and Clemmings seem to have been bad picks, which means either they were evaluated to high during the scouting process or coaches wrongly believed they could correct their flaws.
Personally I've really liked what I've seen out of Easton and Berger still has a good year or two left in him. Center is the least of our problems. It's probably where we have the most depth as we've seen this year. Easton has filled in quite well for Berger when he's been out.

We need a tackle(s) and a solid guard. I'm not worried about LG or Center.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

MrPurplenGold wrote: I think you go after Andrew Whitworth and if you can't sign him you go to Kalil. I also think they should go after Ron Leary at guard. Maybe you sign Smith to another 1 year contract and you let him compete with Sirles. Either way you'll need to draft a Tackle and a center. While Berger is playing well he's on the wrong side of 30 and developing someone behind him would be smart. What the Vikings have to do better at is scouting. Beavers and Clemmings seem to have been bad picks, which means either they were evaluated to high during the scouting process or coaches wrongly believed they could correct their flaws.
Whitworth is interesting as he's on a "prove it" contract with Cinci. Being 35 gives me pause but perhaps you could pick him up and draft a LT to groom. I agree the scouting has been abysmal and is one area that definitely needs to be addressed. I'm on the fence about Leary, he's had his share of injury issues but is clearly dominant when healthy. Maybe a good buy low type of player. Appreciate your input.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

S197 wrote: Whitworth is interesting as he's on a "prove it" contract with Cinci. Being 35 gives me pause but perhaps you could pick him up and draft a LT to groom. I agree the scouting has been abysmal and is one area that definitely needs to be addressed. I'm on the fence about Leary, he's had his share of injury issues but is clearly dominant when healthy. Maybe a good buy low type of player. Appreciate your input.

At this point if your plan is Bradford, AP, and this defense to win the superbowl all you can do is go after decent older Olinemen. the Brown have one, name escapes me.