Where the Vikings' run game is broken

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Where the Vikings' run game is broken

Post by Nunin »

IrishViking wrote:I don't get this assumption we HAVE a QB without Bradford? :confused:

By all accounts it is UNLIKELY that Teddy will ever play a down again, as a Teddy fan I say that. Whats the point in selling the bank for a an Olineman when you are right back to shots in the dark for a QB? :confused:

With Bradford you have an established, youngish, QB who has proven in real games that he does have a high ceiling. With even an AVERAGE Oline he would be mincing teams right now. And, thats is, by all accounts, what we thought we would have when we traded for him, an average, if not slightly below average Oline. Not the utter dumpster fire it has ended up being :puke: I know that people will say "I KNEW this was going to be an issue from the start!" etc etc. But that fact is you didnt, no one did. by all the metrics they were going to do okayish. You don't have the resources to prepare for the worst case scenario at every position after having to do so at QB.

Basically, with Bradford and this Defense, you have 4-5 years to find a passable Oline (I would say we are 1/5th to MAYBE 2/5ths of the way there) before Bradford and the D start to get long in the tooth. I like those odds a heck of a lot better than having 3/5ths of an oline and potentially needing to play a broken Teddy or hoping we hit on a QB draft pick in two years to have him ready in this window.
i generally agree....i think there is tremendous upside to Sam...provided they can get a line. the rub lies with the fact they have struggled mightily in drafting that position
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Nunin wrote: i generally agree....i think there is tremendous upside to Sam...provided they can get a line. the rub lies with the fact they have struggled mightily in drafting that position

I would imagine that, depending on how this season finishes; draft Oline and you essentially Keep Boone and maybe one or two others, boone and berger probably being the only for sure starters. Then you pile your picks and what defensive pieces you can claw away from Zimmer and you go after Joe Thomas, and other older but still have a couple good years in them quality Oline pieces, and take your next shot. I would say draft but we dont have 1st round pick.

BUT whatever you do, do it EARLY as possible. Give whatever Oline you build an entire offseason to work. Don't decide in the 11th hour you need more help and pick up a couple of pieces and wonder why they don't do well out of the gate.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

IrishViking wrote:
I would imagine that, depending on how this season finishes; draft Oline and you essentially Keep Boone and maybe one or two others, boone and berger probably being the only for sure starters. Then you pile your picks and what defensive pieces you can claw away from Zimmer and you go after Joe Thomas, and other older but still have a couple good years in them quality Oline pieces, and take your next shot. I would say draft but we dont have 1st round pick.

BUT whatever you do, do it EARLY as possible. Give whatever Oline you build an entire offseason to work. Don't decide in the 11th hour you need more help and pick up a couple of pieces and wonder why they don't do well out of the gate.
Given just how bad things have gotten on the OL, and the premium on the position, and our lack of draft capital to obtain one of those players, I think its time to go third contract hunting of competent OL...probably 5 of them, who can provide a competent base of play. Berger and Boone can stick around, but I'm not keeping anybody else from the current OL. The next year, I'd draft at least 3 more prospects.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

I agree that they're going to have to hit the open market in a significant way...unless we see some incredible improvement over the next 6games.
That means some serious cap managent/restructuring.