Play calling

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Play calling

Post by IrishViking »

Haha gotcha now. For a second I was like... am I taking crazy pills? :tongue:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Remember that those picks are returnable. Sure, punts are too, but without the added benefit of organization and, importantly, hang time. It's not as simple as "throw a deep pass that could be intercepted." Those have a greater likelihood for substantial return yards vs a punt that (depending on field position and coverage) offers little to no return yardage and flipping field position.

Given the typical defensive alignment on a third-and-30, the success rate (including possible PI) is pretty low when you're not throwing against Waynes. It's hard enough to complete 30-yard passes in this league, much less attempt them when a defense is aligned specifically in a disadvantageous position with multiple DBs hanging back 20 yards.
Hence, the existence of the prevent defense. :)
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote: Remember that those picks are returnable. Sure, punts are too, but without the added benefit of organization and, importantly, hang time. It's not as simple as "throw a deep pass that could be intercepted." Those have a greater likelihood for substantial return yards vs a punt that (depending on field position and coverage) offers little to no return yardage and flipping field position.

Given the typical defensive alignment on a third-and-30, the success rate (including possible PI) is pretty low when you're not throwing against Waynes. It's hard enough to complete 30-yard passes in this league, much less attempt them when a defense is aligned specifically in a disadvantageous position with multiple DBs hanging back 20 yards.
And not just returnable but returnable against personnel who is not used to tackling.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

S197 wrote: And not just returnable but returnable against personnel who is not used to tackling.
And given all those scenarios it almost never happens....
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

at this point I think complaining about Norv's offense is absurd....they guy has been given a crappy OL, a replacement QB at the very last moment, RB by committee, and yet he is getting the job done and avoiding turnovers! How much more do you expect from a really weak OL and shaky QB/RB situation. Remember, our QB wasnt with us at all preseason...he is learning on the fly.....jeesh! so folks are never satisfied :wallbang:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

chicagopurple wrote:at this point I think complaining about Norv's offense is absurd....they guy has been given a crappy OL, a replacement QB at the very last moment, RB by committee, and yet he is getting the job done and avoiding turnovers! How much more do you expect from a really weak OL and shaky QB/RB situation. Remember, our QB wasnt with us at all preseason...he is learning on the fly.....jeesh! so folks are never satisfied :wallbang:

I get where you're coming from, but the whole point of a message board is to analyze things, right? But, we are 5-0! So there's that.

What's more: I see consistency in their approach. They don't take unnecessary risks and that's a key part of who we are. They firmly believe that the team that wins the turnover battle will likely win the game. Due to this belief, they don't try to gain 31 yards on 3rd and 30. It's fine to question that choice, but I think it reflects a consistent approach with an underlying philosophy and IMO the results speak for themselves.

It isn't like Denny Bob Green who was taking a knee with a high-powered O in the NFCC. Norv is aware of our limitations with the OL and given our big lead at the time, made the right choice.