And then, there was one...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

And then, there was one...

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Ladies and Gentlemen, your Minnesota Vikings are the only undefeated team left in the NFL, and it will be that way for at least two weeks since we have our bye next week.
There are other teams who are looking really good (Dallas, Philly, Atlanta, New England), but it is nice to be the only undefeated team in the league. Hopefully the vikings can get healthy during the bye, especially on the OL!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: And then, there was one...

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, your Minnesota Vikings are the only undefeated team left in the NFL, and it will be that way for at least two weeks since we have our bye next week.
There are other teams who are looking really good (Dallas, Philly, Atlanta, New England), but it is nice to be the only undefeated team in the league. Hopefully the vikings can get healthy during the bye, especially on the OL!!
SKOL
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

3/5 of those wins came against playoff teams from last year. Something they didn't do last year. We have three more to play. AZ, GB and Washington.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Bradford is playing insane lights out football right now. Heck yes! :thumbsup:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

So proud of this team.. we have had a ton of injuries and set backs and this team is standing together, and being a great NFL team...

Don't get me wrong I love winning but seeing 46-53 guys step up with through injuries and playing some very good teams... SKOL SKOL
SKOL SKOL SKOL.... :govikes:
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

imagine if we had an OL..........
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

chicagopurple wrote:imagine if we had an OL..........

2 sacks pressured on 1/5 drop backs... And back back 90+ yard rushing games... They arent all world but my goodness you go on like we are giving up 8 sacks a game. We are making it work and Bradford will easily survive a season taking 30 sacks (current pace).
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

IrishViking wrote:
2 sacks pressured on 1/5 drop backs... And back back 90+ yard rushing games... They arent all world but my goodness you go on like we are giving up 8 sacks a game. We are making it work and Bradford will easily survive a season taking 30 sacks (current pace).
I think he means that if we had a good line how the domino effect would come into play.....better run game, more time in the pocket, etc.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Raptorman wrote:3/5 of those wins came against playoff teams from last year. Something they didn't do last year. We have three more to play. AZ, GB and Washington.
This to me is the most impressive part. GB, NYG, and HOU are all teams with winning records. CAR, despite a bad record was a SB team last year. That is strong competition. This has all the makings of a great season. Let's enjoy the ride! (And hope our Kicker doesn't give us the Gary Anderson treatment...)
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote: 2 sacks pressured on 1/5 drop backs... And back back 90+ yard rushing games... They arent all world but my goodness you go on like we are giving up 8 sacks a game. We are making it work and Bradford will easily survive a season taking 30 sacks (current pace).
QBs can get hurt on hits that don't result in sacks and although the Vikes ran for 98 yards yesterday, it took them 35 carries to get those yards. Reps in the running game are important so that's not all bad but an average of 2.8 yards per carry is not indicative of particularly effective run blocking.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

and the running yards we DID get were due to creative play calling on Norv's part. They were NOT runs that depended on good run blocking. It was all gimmicks, smoke/mirrors.....which is great given our circumstances but MAN if we had just an average front line we would be slaughtering the league!!!
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I understand the yards per carry is poor. But 96 yards isn't. It's in fact, a massive improvement. We arent talking about needed yards now, just needed them more efficiently, that in and of its self is indicative of a positive trend.

I also get that QBs can get injuried off of other plays. A lucky QB can get sacked 100 times and not suffer a serious injury, a unlucky one can have his career end behind a HoF Oline. You aren't going to keep a QB untouched through a season. But so far Norv has managed to scheme solid protection for him through arguable the toughest part of our schedule
Last edited by IrishViking on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

chicagopurple wrote:and the running yards we DID get were due to creative play calling on Norv's part. They were NOT runs that depended on good run blocking. It was all gimmicks, smoke/mirrors.....which is great given our circumstances but MAN if we had just an average front line we would be slaughtering the league!!!

Ill agree with that, I would say that their were a handful of runs this game with solid blocking. I am happy to see us trending in the right direction in spite the injuries.

Creative play calling and extra protection are part of the game and if they can keep using it to keep limiting the QB pressure and continue to improve in the running game i think we are gonna be fine. I hope they improve the Oline this off season it's our biggest need,
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I don't think we are giving them enough credit for the fact that they put up those yards against the Texans. The HOU Front 7 might be without Watt, but it still one of the best in the NFL. The running game still has a ways to go, but they deserve credit for putting up those yards against one of the toughest fronts we'll see until the playoffs. Also the gimmicky stuff is the same thing that NE used to beat their defense so it isn't unique to the Vikings.

The schedule will get softer after the Philly game, we should expect to see continued improvement.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:I understand the yards per carry is poor. But 96 yards isn't
But as a measure of o-line performance, the ypc is highly relevant.
I also get that QBs can get injuried off of other plays.
Then what's the point of a comment like "Bradford will easily survive a season taking 30 sacks" when hits can be just as damaging? :confused: