What is Teddy Bridgewater's future?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

kurtkeoki
Backup

What is Teddy Bridgewater's future?

Post by kurtkeoki »

I'm as big a fan of Teddy as anyone, but it looks clear at this point that, barring injury, Sam Bradford will be our starting QB next year. What do we do with Teddy?

Do we keep him, since he doesn't have a big contract? We would then have almost certainly the best backup in the league, at a low price tag.

Do we trade him? If so, what is he worth? Assuming he is healthy, I have to think at least one NFL team, someone like the Jets or Browns, would probably feel that Teddy could be their starter. Would a team picking near the top of the draft, a team like the Browns, be willing to trade a high 2nd for Teddy?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: What is Teddy Bridgewater's future?

Post by dead_poet »

This is so incredibly premature. It's entirely conditional on Teddy's health. There's a better-than-good chance Teddy starts the year on PUP anyway, rendering the conversation moot. Obviously the better Sam does the harder it becomes for a switch to be made. Teddy won't be traded, if anything because his value would be low because nobody really knows how he's going to recover from a really bad injury.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
AlldayPotter
Backup

Post by AlldayPotter »

It's a little early for that but if Bradford finishes the season the way he is playing, then I want him as our starting QB for next year and then some.

Also we will def not trade teddy. He is young and will be a good backup and then eventually will be starter. Why get rid of our QBs when we all know it only takes 1 play to lose your starting QB. It's better to have depth than to get rid of teddy.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

my guess is Peterson is all but done as a Viking .....

He has a huge contract; my guess is we will try and keep Teddy and Bradford....

My guess is Hill, Peterson, Greenway(already said retirement) all are not on the 53 next year .... Patterson
might be hard to keep. we didn't extend our option on his first round pick status
so he will be a FA of some kind...Brian Robison will be a FA as well...My guess is they
can keep Brian unless he wants to cash in on his last NFL deal. Captain is also a FA (??)
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

As Dead_Poet said, this is premature. However, if we're going to speculate, here's my guess:

IF Bradford continues to play well...

... and IF the team continues on it's upward trajectory...

... and IF Bridgewater comes back healthy enough to play in 2017...

Bridgewater will be the backup next year and then will either leave the team via free agency or sign a contract to be a backup QB with the Vikings in 2018. If another team wants him as a potential starter, he'll likely leave for that opportunity.

In other words, if Bradford continues playing at this level and stays healthy, he's likely to be the Vikes QB for the indefinite future. Under those circumstances, I don't know why the Vikes would turn away from him for Bridgewater and I think TB will be be with another team in 2018.

But who knows how it will actually play out?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

How about we let Teddy rehab and see where he is at next year. It's only about a month after his surgery.
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

Interesting conundrum. You have two quality QBs and would like to cash in on one and ride the other many years into the future. The only way I see them recouping anything significant from the Bradford trade would be to trade Bradford, which would be asinine if he continues to play like he has thus far. Teams aren't going to give up much for Teddy based upon his coming off a major injury and the fact that he hasn't proven to be a franchise QB up to this point. The bigger problem is he's a free agent the next off season so you have to find a taker whose willing to take a risk, but you'll have to give a discount to make it happen.

I guess the only hope, assuming Bradford stays healthy and continues to excel and Teddy comes back healthy next season would be that another team finds themselves in the same situation as the Vikes and is willing to gamble big on Teddy.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

kurtkeoki wrote:I'm as big a fan of Teddy as anyone, but it looks clear at this point that, barring injury, Sam Bradford will be our starting QB next year. What do we do with Teddy?

Do we keep him, since he doesn't have a big contract? We would then have almost certainly the best backup in the league, at a low price tag.

Do we trade him? If so, what is he worth? Assuming he is healthy, I have to think at least one NFL team, someone like the Jets or Browns, would probably feel that Teddy could be their starter. Would a team picking near the top of the draft, a team like the Browns, be willing to trade a high 2nd for Teddy?
They have to decide on if they will pick up Teddy's 5th year option. If they don't (I believe it's $10-$11 mil) then he is 100% gone after next year.

If Sam keeps this up, and I only expect him to get better and better, he's the guy for the rest of his career imo.

So if they don't pick up Teddy's option he will now for sure he's done after next year.

But that's for the off season, lets enjoy this great season as it has only just begun!!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I suspect Sam will continue on his career trajectory and bounce around the NFL a few more times in the coming years, rendering the question mute.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
w_huisman
Transition Player

Post by w_huisman »

fiestavike wrote:I suspect Sam will continue on his career trajectory and bounce around the NFL a few more times in the coming years, rendering the question mute.
Moot?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

w_huisman wrote: Moot?
Thank you sir.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

fiestavike wrote:I suspect Sam will continue on his career trajectory and bounce around the NFL a few more times in the coming years, rendering the question mute.
His career trajectory is upward and if it continues upward from these past four games this will be his final stop.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

SP1966 wrote: His career trajectory is upward and if it continues upward from these past four games this will be his final stop.
Its been a nice stretch, I hope it continues. I think his body of work leading up to the last 4 games, and the fact that his previous teams obviously didn't view him as a franchise QB is more indicative of the player he actually is. I understand being excited, but Jeff George came in and had great stretches with the Vikings too.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

fiestavike wrote: Its been a nice stretch, I hope it continues. I think his body of work leading up to the last 4 games, and the fact that his previous teams obviously didn't view him as a franchise QB is more indicative of the player he actually is. I understand being excited, but Jeff George came in and had great stretches with the Vikings too.
I agree with your JG comment. But even so I think when you really look at the teams he's played on, the coaches he's played for, and volume of offensive coordinators and systems he's had to learn you have to give him a bit of a pass. I just don't know how any QB would have succeeded in the same situation.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

fiestavike wrote: Its been a nice stretch, I hope it continues. I think his body of work leading up to the last 4 games, and the fact that his previous teams obviously didn't view him as a franchise QB is more indicative of the player he actually is. I understand being excited, but Jeff George came in and had great stretches with the Vikings too.
LOL Jeff George??

You seem to obviously be a Teddy Bridgewater fan so I won't rain too hard on your parade but what exactly has TB's "body of work" been?

I feel sorry for you my friend because Bradford is a much, MUCH better QB than TB. The dude has played with crap teams and crap coaches and has been injured but his skill set as a pocket passer is ELITE. His arm talent is ELITE. His decision making is ELITE.

The Vikings fell in to Christmas morning on this trade and most fans appreciate it now even though many questioned it then...