Film Room: Minnesota Vikings (Football Outsiders)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Film Room: Minnesota Vikings (Football Outsiders)

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The appropriate question is no longer if the Vikings season is over. The appropriate question now is if the Vikings are the best team in the NFL.
Film Room: Minnesota Vikings by Cian Fahey

Pass Defense
Containing either Cam Newton or Aaron Rodgers is an achievement. Getting the better of one is extremely difficult. Getting the better of both to the degree that the Vikings did within eight days of each other is unfathomable. It's not just that Newton is the reigning MVP and Rodgers is the best quarterback in the league, they also run two completely different offenses. Preparing for Rodgers one week is like taking a test on nuclear fusion Preparing for Newton the next is like taking a test on neurosurgery.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Film Room: Minnesota Vikings (Football Outsiders)

Post by CbusVikesFan »

That was a great read. I wondered for years why Zimmer wasn't a hc. He is doing wonders with the defense and it is most pleasing to see. As the season progresses these guys are only going to get better and gel more as a unit. If the O-line issues are resolved even to an average level Bradford is going to shine maybe as well as the defense. That so promising that a deep run into the playoffs is not so unexpected.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

CbusVikesFan wrote:That was a great read. I wondered for years why Zimmer wasn't a hc. He is doing wonders with the defense and it is most pleasing to see. As the season progresses these guys are only going to get better and gel more as a unit. If the O-line issues are resolved even to an average level Bradford is going to shine maybe as well as the defense. That so promising that a deep run into the playoffs is not so unexpected.

i'm not saying isn't a good coach because he his, but the amount of talent spielman has added to the defensive side of the ball is amazing as well. they have formed one of the best coach/gm duos in the league.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

It's nice to see the Vikes defense receiving accolades and playing so well but one of the things I like about Zimmer, and this team, is the attitude and perspective reflected in Chad Greenway's comments here:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/vikings/story/ ... es-on-hype
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

In the short time Zimmer has been here he has really turned the defense around.
And he has the players hungry for more.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote:In the short time Zimmer has been here he has really turned the defense around.
And he has the players hungry for more.
I think slapnut19's point has a lot to do with it. We're seeing a combination of good coaching and a plenty of talent come to fruition on defense. Zimmer and his defensive coaches have done a fantastic job but it wouldn't be possible without all that talent. I believe Zimmer's had something to with finding that talent too but Spielman certainly deserves his share of the credit in that area. In addition to all of the first and second round picks, there are players like Griffin, Stephen and Hunter making significant contributions. Heck, he doesn't seem to be anybody's favorite Vikings defender but even former undrafted free agent Andrew Sendejo has successfully carved out a role in this defense. :)
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Mothman wrote: We're seeing a combination of good coaching and a plenty of talent come to fruition on defense. Zimmer and his defensive coaches have done a fantastic job but it wouldn't be possible without all that talent. I believe Zimmer's had something to with finding that talent too but Spielman certainly deserves his share of the credit in that area. In addition to all of the first and second round picks, there are players like Griffin, Stephen and Hunter making significant contributions. Heck, he doesn't seem to be anybody's favorite Vikings defender but even former undrafted free agent Andrew Sendejo has successfully carved out a role in this defense. :)

Someone sticky this for posterity. Jim said we have good coaching.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

slapnut19 wrote:
i'm not saying isn't a good coach because he his, but the amount of talent spielman has added to the defensive side of the ball is amazing as well. they have formed one of the best coach/gm duos in the league.
Yes, Rick deserves a ton of credit.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:
Someone sticky this for posterity. Jim said we have good coaching.
I know you're joking but honestly, I've never suggested otherwise when it comes to the current team's defense. That's Zimmer's area of expertise and it shows.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I was seeking to poke jabs at you over the Zimmer = Coaching Jesus issue that comes up during the off season. thus I'm saving this quote for use in April when you are beside yourself over Zimmer over-appreciation. (I'm really kidding here, there is no way I remember this thread in 6 weeks, let alone 6 months.)

BTW: I'm a card carrying member of said religious order. My wife asked me if I wanted a Jersey and I asked if I could get a Zimmer Jersey. True Story.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:I was seeking to poke jabs at you over the Zimmer = Coaching Jesus issue that comes up during the off season. thus I'm saving this quote for use in April when you are beside yourself over Zimmer over-appreciation. (I'm really kidding here, there is no way I remember this thread in 6 weeks, let alone 6 months.)

BTW: I'm a card carrying member of said religious order. My wife asked me if I wanted a Jersey and I asked if I could get a Zimmer Jersey. True Story.
:lol:

I understood the jab. :)

You may not have to wait until the offseason to use the quote against me. Vikings hype is in overdrive now and I'm seeing article after article and pundit after pundit talking about Zimmer as a "great" head coach. However, as Zimmer himself seems to be, I'm a tough sell when it comes to hype. Maybe it's an "Illinois" trait. :)
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Actually I like Zimmer so much precisely because he is such a realist. I base my judgements of him on what I see him do and the results on the field, not the media punditry.

Heck, I'm one of the board biggest media rippers because I think they are all out to lunch, ie GB/PIT superbowl: Puh-Leez!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Actually I like Zimmer so much precisely because he is such a realist. I base my judgements of him on what I see him do and the results on the field, not the media punditry.

Heck, I'm one of the board biggest media rippers because I think they are all out to lunch, ie GB/PIT superbowl: Puh-Leez!
:lol:
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

slapnut19 wrote:i'm not saying isn't a good coach because he his, but the amount of talent spielman has added to the defensive side of the ball is amazing as well. they have formed one of the best coach/gm duos in the league.
You're right on target. While I thought the article was great and I believe Zimmer to be a defensive mastermind, it also takes talented players to perform at the level the Vikings D are right now. Zimmer has a smart vision for this D and Spielman has helped him realize that vision.

BTW, it's cool to see the Vikings D not fade in the fourth quarter the way they used to only a few years ago. Zimmer actually has them playing stronger in the second half.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Preparing for Rodgers one week is like taking a test on nuclear fusion Preparing for Newton the next is like taking a test on neurosurgery.
Probably the first and only time anybody will ever compare Cam Newton to a brain surgeon.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.