Thoughts on Vikings versus Giants. MNF

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Thoughts on Vikings versus Giants. MNF

Post by mansquatch »

This feels like it could be a trap game, for that reason I'm nervous. We have every reason to be confident, but this is a team where if we make a few early mistakes, we could find ourselves down 14-0. Easily one of the strongest WR group we'll face this season besides AZ.

That being said, I'm really interested in seeing how frustrated our secondary can make OBJ. The entire defense made the Carolina Offense give up in the 4Q last week, we held Benjamin to ZERO catches. I would love to see that again this week.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I think it just depends on what Eli shows up...I think this could be a close game if the good Eli shows up.

The Vikings are 31st in total yards and dead last in rushing yards. Last!
Thielen has 8 more catches and 104 more yards than Johnson on 22 fewer snaps. How many games are we going to stick with CJ?

:govikes:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote:I think it just depends on what Eli shows up...I think this could be a close game if the good Eli shows up.

The Vikings are 31st in total yards and dead last in rushing yards. Last!
Thielen has 8 more catches and 104 more yards than Johnson on 22 fewer snaps. How many games are we going to stick with CJ?
I have no idea but even in very limited playing time, Patterson has the same number of touches and yards as Johnson. If he was getting the number of snaps CJ gets, I would think he could out-produce him. Ditto for Wright.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Zimmer discusses the upcoming game:

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/G ... 7446561349
Trkn10
Practice Squad

Post by Trkn10 »

Goes without sayin', but the crowd has to be a huge factor in this game.

I went to the opener against the Packers and it was an absolute nuthouse in there. It was obvious it made it difficult on the offense and I really believe pumped-up our defense.

So those of you lucky enough to go - bring it! It's another prime-time game and your chance to show every team watching that Valhalla is a place all should fear :v): :beerock:

vr

Bob
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

IrishViking wrote: On the other hand, our Oline in pass protection though, is actually doing better than the eye test would indicate. Again, we all know our prolific struggles here, limiting this to what our current line is doing in this season though: We blanked the Titans in the first game, a unit that is averaging 2.5 sacks per game. Against the Packers and in Bradford’s first start we did poorly giving up 4 sacks. However it should be noted that the Packers are averaging 3.5/G in their other games. So even though we gave up 4 with a new starter, we were close to what other teams are averaging against the Pack. We gave up 2 sacks against the Panthers, a solid front, which is exactly what they are averaging for the year 2/G. Bradford has a passer rating above 95 in two games. The Giants are averaging 1.3/G so far this year, so this will be the easiest test, on paper, for our Oline so far. Look for the Oline to give Braford plenty of time and assist him in a near 300 yard game and 2+ TDs or it could spell trouble for the team. If the Giants come out and collect even a handful of sack it would be an indication that our Oline has played above ability for three games and we would be in serious trouble.
Great post, IrishViking! :thumbsup:

Another thing about the passing game is Bradford has a fairly quick release. That's going to save him from some pressures and sacks even if the OL is playing only mediocre football. Of course, being mediocre would be an upgrade over some of the performances we've seen from this offensive line.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

From NJ.com, here's an "east coast" perspective on key matchups in the upcoming game:

Giants-Vikings 3 key matchups: Can Minnesota's pass rush be stopped?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Brief analysis from Andy Benoit of MMQB:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/30/NFL- ... it-themmqb
New York Giants @ Minnesota

Giants – Shane Vereen’s injury hurts, particularly in the passing game, but a silver lining could be the emergence of Orleans Darkwa. He’s a shifty, balanced runner.

Vikings – T.J. Clemmings, now the left tackle with Matt Kalil out, looked better last week than he did as a rookie right tackle in 2015. He was assertive with his hand punch. Clemmings does, however, play a bit upright. The more opponents see that, the more they’ll expose it. The Panthers started making headway here late in last week’s game, in fact.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

It would be really nice for the Vikings to live up to the media hype this week.

Just saw this commercial. I'm hyped.

https://vimeo.com/184602327
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:It would be really nice for the Vikings to live up to the media hype this week.

Just saw this commercial. I'm hyped.

https://vimeo.com/184602327
That got me psyched up too. :) Thanks.

It would definitely be nice to see the Vikings live up to the hype this week.

Vikings vs. Giants... If they were frost giants, the matchup would be perfect!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: That got me psyched up too. :) Thanks.

It would definitely be nice to see the Vikings live up to the hype this week.

Vikings vs. Giants... If they were frost giants, the matchup would be perfect!
I wonder what they would look like. If only there was an artist among us. :mrgreen:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

The #Vikings are looking to get the run game going in order to maximize this offense's potential.

You just know Turner will run the old school approach (bring in extra blockers and try, stubbornly, to run it which will lead to sacrificing the first several drives).
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

They should have showed Beckham hitting himself in the face with kickers net, he he
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

I think the first adjust NY makes after watching the Panther tape is they will be running a lot of shorter pass plays, especially on early downs, to get the ball out of Eli's hands and in to the hands of their fast wr's.

Key will be how many 3rd and longs Minny can get NY in to.

I'm hoping for more offense this week as well. NY has good pass rushers of their own so the OL will have to be on point and I know the fans will ne in a fenzy so I will expect some false starts for NY as well as some late moving OT's which could spell disaster for Eli.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Good post Irish.

I expect a smash in your teeth game. We will try and stop that run, the D will works its tail off and hopefully get us some point, then chase Eli all over the Meadowlands. I think its going to be a grea MNF game. And usually extremely pessimistic if some of you didnt know. I remember the game we were in Eli's head so much, i think he threw INTs. He couldnt get it going.